sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Correct mike - Spark Sport have F1 - looking forward to March 20th I think it is
    Sky not had it for a couple of years now
    Losing F1 was pretty bad.

One can only assume that Spark paid way over the odds (again) to win the rights.

In which case, we should be thankful that we didn't outbid Spark. Just not sustainable to pay over the odds for everything and still maintain a viable business. So we are more strategic on the ones we do pay up for. More strategic. Like a surgeon with a scalpel rather than Arnie with a bazooka.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 19-01-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Losing F1 was pretty bad.

One can only assume that Spark paid way over the odds (again) to win the rights.

In which case, we should be thankful that we didn't outbid Spark. Just not sustainable to pay over the odds for everything and still maintain a viable business. So we are more strategic on the ones we do pay up for. More strategic. Like a surgeon with a scalpel rather than Arnie with a bazooka.
    Well said Mr T

Guru

Enjoying AO - always a great tournament.

It is interesting watching some of it on my STB and some streamed via Sky GO.

Sky GO gives a very good HD quality picture...same quality as Sky Sport NOW. But even so, you find the ball just doesn't quite track as 'smoothly' as it does when I am watching via satellite feed.

This is an ongoing issue for live sport streaming. It is very good, but still just not quite as good as the 'old school' satellite.

For this reason I think the new STB has a good chance at being very successful - certainly for the sport lovers. A first of its kind in NZ - one platform that has shifted in a big way to streaming but still keeps the strenghts/competitive advantage of satellite.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post

Sky GO gives a very good HD quality picture...
    A little fun fact for you all... Sky GO is the successor of Sky's first entry into streaming content - iSky. This was back in 2010 (and who says Sky was slow to start exploiting internet technology?) when there wasn't much in the way of apps etc so users streamed on a web browser.

And who enabled Sky to provide this offer? Orcon of course

We have had a very good relationship with these guys going way back. No reason to think that relationship shouldn't continue to strengthen out into the future...

... have power to make you great

We have Sony tv with in-built apps including Sky Sport Now. 39 per month although I think there has been cheaper deals but very happy with this one

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    We have Sony tv with in-built apps including Sky Sport Now. 39 per month although I think there has been cheaper deals but very happy with this one
    $39.99 gives you maximum flexibility as there is no contract so you can cancel anytime. You pay a premium for this each month, but if you don't watch sport all year round it could be worth it.

But if you watch a wide range of sport and tend to hang on to your Sky Sport sub month in and month out then the Annual Pass for $399.99 is clearly great value ($33.33 per month).

Mind you, there is only $6.66/month in it. That is a 20% premium...which sounds like a huge amount, but would barely buy you a large flat white at any decent cafe...

Advanced Member

Looks like Omicron is now in the NZ wild - be prepared for near term weakness as it is likely Super Rugby 2022 ends up a near term casualty (temporary).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Looks like Omicron is now in the NZ wild - be prepared for near term weakness as it is likely Super Rugby 2022 ends up a near term casualty (temporary).
    Hopefully an opportunity to load up the truck one last time before the Bowman lolly scramble on Feb 24,

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post

At least Cindy has ruled out lockdowns (not that you can really trust anything she says).

So the question is what will the border restrictions be in a month?

If we accept that Omicron is coming, then we should still open up to Aussie and The Pacific (with Covid-19 restrictions in place).

I see the UK has hit a critical mass of Omicron infections now and they will soon remove all restrictions in England. We will only get to thi stage once Omicron has had it's run through the community.

Appreciate this is not a Covid forum, but I suspect we will continue down the path of gradually opening up. It is proving way too costly financialy to stay isolated. Good thing I booked my booster for tomorrow!

So for Sky, I don't think the inevitable Omicron outbreak should be as big a deal as previous outbreaks where we were locked down (and sport came to a grinding halt). If Sky could weather those storms then Omicron is not the one that Mr Market should be losing his sh1t over.

Imho.

... have power to make you great

6.66 / 39.99 is 16.7 prcent MT?? 2 months per year freeeeee. Have been a subscriber for over 12 months however the tv was located at our bnb for guests to use and have now sold up. More money to buy sky shares