sharetrader
Page 729 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 2296296797197257267277287297307317327337397798291229 ... LastLast
Results 7,281 to 7,290 of 14170

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daveypnz View Post
    If they can capture 1% of the total population from all those countries, the increase in revenue would be enormous.
    If you are looking at it from a total population level, then even 0.1% would be absolutely enormous. Between Europe, ME and Asia you have billions of people...

I think you need to figure out percentages of the rugby fan population though to get a better idea of earning potential. Without some context as to how much Sky have paid NZR we won't be able to figure out a break even point for subs.

Some articles lead me to believe that there could be 300M-400M people that identify themselves as 'rugby fans' worldwide. So maybe max 200M-300M in the countries RP has the rights to stream SR Aotearoa?

Then you have to make an estimate of how many of those 'fans' are actual Die Hard fans who will part with cold hard cash fora subscription to get their fix...

Let's say that, of those massive populations we now have the rights to, RP 'only' manage to convince 500K to fork out the equivalent of NZ$65 bucks for the season...that would be an extra $32.5M to the top line.

Is it unrealistic to think that the Elite NZR Teams playing a tournament against each other... the 'best of the best'... could attract 1M paid subs for the season? I don't think it is unrealistic, but time will tell.

There may even be a bunch of NZ and Aussie fans who take advantage of a cheap rugby sub by using a VPN.

Whatever money they raise internationally will be reflected in the FY21 cashflow statement. I imagine that the majority of fans who are prepared to pay will pay the EUR40 (or GBP, USD equivalent) up front for the whole season since it is a lot cheaper than buying a weekly pass.

So I think we will know very soon whether this has been super successful or not.

... have power to make you great

Great summation MT this gives me a lot of hope that the selloff this week has been overdone

Disc; I bought more today but still have half the amount of my best mate, so will be buying on weakness

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    So half year results announcement tomorrow. With the recent guidance updates there shouldn't be too many surprises.

The technicals are in a strong bullish setup with the recent confirmation of a monthly uptrend, as well as a weekly bull flag now formed. The small pullback from the high strongly favours continuation. I think we need bit of a catalyst with more positive info in tomorrows update. Discussion around dividends would be one thing that'd certainly do it.

Still a lot of bag holders from over the years so this can create quite a lot of resistance on its way up (we have seen this already).
    Well that bull flag didn't play out and got chopped in half! Now just looking to set that weekly higher low which I expect to be set around 16.5.

As mentioned there are many many bagholders in this one from over the years so it can be a battle to make good headway.

An old article about rugbypass: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...7CVFM3FXMZKUQ/

Their rugby fan estimate is a lot lower at 100-120 million worldwide.

"He estimates that somewhere between three to five million people are keen enough to potentially pay the US$14.99 a month it costs to stream games via RugbyPass."

It seems like that $14.99 a month package was very good, already had Super Rugby (pre covid) plus more but I think it was only available in 23 countries: https://www.sports247.my/discovery-c...orts-platform/

Another previous article suggests Rugbypass only had 20,000 paying subs: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ND4XOACULZSUE/

"RugbyPass's former owner claimed around 20,000 paying subs. Sky has not broken out a paid sub number."

edit: did a bit more research, I believe there were 23 countries which had access to a significant amount of rugby (mentioned in the sport247.com article above) none of these countries are rugby centric, it did include China so obviously not many of those 33 million fans will be signing up lol. Super Rugby Aotearoa obviously isn't part of that package anymore so some of these customers will likely fork out the $50 USD for it.

Other than this package it appears they have a package available for European Rugby only which includes Six Nations, Gallagher Prem (English club league) and Pro 14 (Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Italian league). Some significant countries this package is available in are Australia, Germany, Georgia, Russia and Romania. You'd imagine some of these customers (excluding Australia) will also buy the Super Rugby package.

Then there are the significant new countries that will have access to Super Rugby Package such as: England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.

These six countries are obviously far more rugby centric than any of the other countries that have previously had access to one of the RugbyPass packages, with the exception of Australia but I'd say there is more European interest in New Zealand rugby than there is Australian interest in European Rugby. So should still be massive potential to increase subscriber numbers.

Sky UK had been paying 20m pounds a year for the rights previously: "The overseas rights for the 2016-2020 cycle were a cash bonanza for Sanzaar, which raked in about £20m a year (about $38m) from pay-TV operator Sky UK alone after it was locked in a bidding war with rival BT Sport." - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...oadcast-rights

So typically Sanzaar sells the rights to overseas broadcasters then NZ Rugby receives a significant portion of proceeds but Sanzaar has allowed NZR to go it alone due to covid, seems like this will be a one off deal. Do we have any idea what Rugbypass (Sky) has paid for the rights?
    Last edited by daveypnz; 26-02-2021 at 12:55 AM.

Just to continue last nights conversation, I finally got my head around how the deal works. Here is a good read: https://twitter.com/BMcSport/status/1364794468147163138

"So while SANZAAR hoped to get an OS deal done, it hasn't happened.

NZR - who owns a % of Sky, which in turn owns RugbyPass - hatched an alternate plan for this year, to at least create some degree of OS revenue through subscriptions."

In a normal year Sanzaar makes the broadcast deal, NZR gets a cut and Sky would get nothing as it has nothing to do with them. This is a very unique scenario when NZR owns a % of Sky who obviously own RP therefore they can work in unison. There is obviously potential for a massive audience if Sky UK had previously been paying 20m pounds per year for the deal.

The question is how much has RugbyPass paid for the rights? You'd obviously think NZR would give them a sweet deal given it was done last minute and they have a vested interest in Sky.

Unfortunately I've read a lot of comments on Twitter which suggest RP isn't exactly doing a stellar job, apparently they don't even support chromecast yet...

"Regarding casting: We don't have a cast button currently but it is in the works for next weekend. In the meantime, casting Chrome tabs to Chromecast is working for some people, while a good old HDMI cable should also work."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daveypnz View Post
    Just to continue last nights conversation, I finally got my head around how the deal works. Here is a good read: https://twitter.com/BMcSport/status/1364794468147163138

"So while SANZAAR hoped to get an OS deal done, it hasn't happened.

NZR - who owns a % of Sky, which in turn owns RugbyPass - hatched an alternate plan for this year, to at least create some degree of OS revenue through subscriptions."

In a normal year Sanzaar makes the broadcast deal, NZR gets a cut and Sky would get nothing as it has nothing to do with them. This is a very unique scenario when NZR owns a % of Sky who obviously own RP therefore they can work in unison. There is obviously potential for a massive audience if Sky UK had previously been paying 20m pounds per year for the deal.

The question is how much has RugbyPass paid for the rights? You'd obviously think NZR would give them a sweet deal given it was done last minute and they have a vested interest in Sky.

Unfortunately I've read a lot of comments on Twitter which suggest RP isn't exactly doing a stellar job, apparently they don't even support chromecast yet...

"Regarding casting: We don't have a cast button currently but it is in the works for next weekend. In the meantime, casting Chrome tabs to Chromecast is working for some people, while a good old HDMI cable should also work."
    Thanks for sharing that - very interesting to read.

Great to see Sky able to take advantage of this unique opportunity from Covid. With regards to limitations of the app being ironed out - NZR must have been satisfied at the plan and believe RP can also perform in the best case scenario where there are a lot of simultaneous streams.

No point worrying too much about whether this truly will be a one-off versus an ongoing opportunity for RP. We first have to see how successful this venture goes.

If we don't attract many subs and the whole thing ends up sucking balls then we won't want to renew the rights anyway.

If, on the other hand, it is a resounding success and we make a bunch of money from it...and prove to SANZAAR that we are up to the task...then we should still be in the running for future negotiations. And, depending on how much $$$ we make, we may be able to justify paying more next time round.

So let's see what happens. It's only a 10 week tournament, so our foray into UK/Ireland/France will be a short one to test the waters.

I just hope RP's Marketing is up to scratch so they can attract as many subs as possible.

Advanced Member

If I had to guess - and this is simply a guess - I think Skys pivot with Rugby pass might mean that they may not be paying anything upfront for the overseas rights, and will instead take a cut of any revenue generated and pass the majority of revenue through to NZR.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    If I had to guess - and this is simply a guess - I think Skys pivot with Rugby pass might mean that they may not be paying anything upfront for the overseas rights, and will instead take a cut of any revenue generated and pass the majority of revenue through to NZR.
    The thought had crossed my mind that Sky may have paid less upfront but then shared any profits with NZR.

If that is how they have struck this last minute deal, depending on how the profits are shared...I am certainly open to the idea.

Dropping millions up front for a venture like this (which does have some significant risks) will be all good and well if it succeeds. But if it doesn't then that would just be another kick in the balls to shareholders.

So a revenue sharing model would limit Sky's downside. Also limits the upside too, but I am personally ok with that.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    The thought had crossed my mind that Sky may have paid less upfront but then shared any profits with NZR.

If that is how they have struck this last minute deal, depending on how the profits are shared...I am certainly open to the idea.

Dropping millions up front for a venture like this (which does have some significant risks) will be all good and well if it succeeds. But if it doesn't then that would just be another kick in the balls to shareholders.

So a revenue sharing model would limit Sky's downside. Also limits the upside too, but I am personally ok with that.
    Actually just found this in a NBR report - sounds very much like Sky is not paying upfront anything for this:

Sky’s take
    A Sky spokesperson said the company was not releasing commercial terms of the arrangement, but did say it differed to a standard rights deal – RugbyPass is the “service provider” for NZR (eg, it hasn’t bought the rights in a traditional way but will operate as NZR’s delivery platform to reach global fans).

“It’s a partnership with NZR to deliver Sky Super Rugby Aotearoa to global rugby fans in this unique season (where Sanzaar partners are running their own local tournaments due to Covid border restrictions),” she said, adding that it was not related to All Blacks rugby or any other negotiations, subjects on which the broadcaster was still saying little.