sharetrader
Page 210 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1101602002062072082092102112122132142202603107101210 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyO View Post
    An issue is also the way the content is disappearing for sky....Disney...Netflix (who make there own content)….What happens when the BBC finally decided to setup there own streaming service, all those over 60s will have nothing to watch.
    Absolutely - Sky live and die by the relationships they are able to maintain with premium content creators. Clearly, if everyone decided to 'go it alone' and launch their own Netflix-style offerings in NZ then Sky would not have a business at all.

As each new player enters the market it becomes more difficult (if not impossible) to make any money though. There is a limit to the number of subs a person is willing to juggle. When you subscribe to multiple services you very soon start paying in total what you used to pay for the satellite bundle.

In NZ we already have a range of offeirngs including Netflix, NEON, Lightbox, Amazon Prime, Disney+, AppleTV+...

Will HBO, Showtime and now HULU break their profitable deal with Sky to also enter the already-crowded and relatively small NZ market? Look, anything is possible - but I don't think the economics would stack up.

I for one currently juggle Netflix, Lightbox, NEON, TVNZ On Demand and Sky Sport NOW. If the new service Sky is about to release allows me to subscribe to most of those for a reasonably-priced bundle I would much prefer to switch to a single platform that aggregates all of that content. If they also managed a deal with Netflix that allowed me to surface Netflix Content next to the Sky content that would be even better - it would make it so much easier for me to work out what to watch.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by k14 View Post
    will head back to satellite when sport starts up again as the product is superior.
    /thread

This guy gets it.

Still plenty of buffs left in this cigar.

Default Some thoughts

If you manage to buy enough shares, let the board go - do some management reshuffling, let me advise - we'll be all go.

There is a distinct difference between a channel broadcast and fetching on-demand content. For me: there is something nice about being able to watch the same thing that you don't fully control, that thousands/millions of other people are all watching at the same time, that you just don't get from Netflix.

The answer here is to be a pioneer and go super online with a combined "On Demand" AND "Channel broadcast" AND "Pay per view" AND "Box office" (whilst of course retaining the legacy satellite television broadcast).

Boom.

But I don't see it happening. I have small hope.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by klid View Post
    The answer here is to be a pioneer and go super online with a combined "On Demand" AND "Channel broadcast" AND "Pay per view" AND "Box office" (whilst of course retaining the legacy satellite television broadcast).
    Yes, Agreed. The new service should ultimately provide all of those options so people can watch the way they prefer.

My personal opinion is that the service should have a heavy On Demand focus - since this seems to be the way the majority like to consume their content now. Still have an easy-to-use Linear Broadcast for those who like to channel surf though.

I think this is part of where VodafoneTV has gone wrong. Their system is very clunky and still has a Linear TV focus with On Demand as a secondary feature.

They need to flip that on it's head if they want to be the streaming platform of choice. I did give feedback to them when I used their system for a year...the response I got back was "thanks for your feedback, but our analysis shows that the majority of people still watch TV via linear".

Well, sure...that is currently the case because the main offerings of Sky and Freeview still deliver their content that way. I don't think that is the way most people want to watch TV now though, and certainly not where trends are heading. So I think Vodafone have missed a trick there.

Guru

Low trade volumes again today.

Black Crane will need to open up the cheque book a bit if they want to keep adding material amounts to their position.

They can currently pick up about 650K shares for under 33c...

Plenty of funds have plenty of positions in plenty of shares. Not all of them are correct. What's the big deal with Black Crane?

For me there's a very simple test if I've bought a share and it's gone down from my buy in price. That is, would I buy at this price if I didn't have my existing holding? If yes, keep considering it. If no, then absolutely do not average down.
    Last edited by Entrep; 08-04-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post

For me there's a very simple test if I've bought a share and it's gone down from my buy in price. That is, would I buy at this price if I didn't have my existing holding? If yes, keep considering it. If no, then absolutely do not average down.
    I take the exact same approach

Advanced Member

An old article from 18 months ago.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12143301

What's the possibility of this actually happening, given that the stock price has lost 90% of it's value since that date?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Low trade volumes again today.
    I spoke too soon!

Guru

Interesting viewrship stats for NZ for 2019:

http://www.digitaltvnews.net/?p=34431

Netflix still King, but even Sky TV managed to reach more eyeballs (through organic growth in streaming services NEON and Sky Sport NOW outstripping satellite sub losses). Lightbox did well too - I know of people who pay for the service and don't just get it as part of a Spark package. Given Lightbox is the second most popular streaming service in New Zealand, Sky's acquisition makes sense imo.

Let's just hope that the merged 'NEONBOX' service is a far cry from clunky NEON and more of a 'LIGHTBOX on steroids'

If Spark maintains a wholesale deal for the new service and assuming the new app is high quality - you just watch subscriptions explode for the service.

All services reaching more viewers despite the Pirates being a pain in the ass too I might add.

Only issue Netflix and other streamers have to think about as the market becomes more saturated is how to manage account sharing.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 09-04-2020 at 11:44 AM.