sharetrader
Page 252 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1522022422482492502512522532542552562623023527521252 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    I think sports rugby and nrl in particular have to put that canned noise in for a reason. imagine the swearing going on during the game lol ��
    Its to drown out the players.
    That is a very good point. I was of the opinion that the contrived noise was stupid, and the timing is a bit funny, however had forgotten that the ref is miked and the when we played rugby some of the noises really do need to stay on the field and not be heard by young impressionable minds. So like you say definitely lol, and yes its a good thing we do not hear the players ad infinitum. And well done the Warriors, when is the last time they restricted another team to 0?

Never mind the NRL, the best live event on TV this weekend is on CNN. America in chaos.

Advanced Member

Just filled out my entitlement. I did the full 120% for a total of 509,400 shares.

12c seems like a good deal to me.

Comcast paid 17x Ebitda in 2018 for Sky UK.

Sky NZ currently trading at 2x Ebitda.

I'd imagine Mediaworks (TV3 + Bravo) is for sale for even less.

Will SkyTV and Mediaworks merge?

NZD/USD sitting near historic lows, so will a multinational media conglomerate take advantage and get a 2 for 1 special?

Nice research report from AUT summing up the Media landscape.

https://www.aut.ac.nz/__data/assets/...019-Report.pdf

The Spinoff reported that in 2015, “a very serious offer of over NZ$400m was made to buy MediaWorks from Sky TV, and if the two companies had merged it “would have created a TV powerhouse of unparalleled strength”

As the commercial broadcasters experienced financial difficulties, the public broadcasting sector was facing its biggest restructure in decades.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    J
    Comcast paid 17x Ebitda in 2018 for Sky UK.

Sky NZ currently trading at 2x Ebitda.
    I don't think you can compare the EBITDA multiples of the two companies (as much as I would like to!).

SKY TV UK is a totally different company. They are a full blown telco, broadcaster and even have a newspaper. Plus they are able to reach the entire EU (half a billion people).

Sky TV NZ is just a broadcaster. That is going to change, and I am optimistic about the revenue diversification - but it is yet to be seen how successful it is.

When Sky was going to merge with Vodafone the value ascribed to Sky was based on an EBITDA of 6.8 from memory. So, if EBITDA wittles down to $100M while they are transitioning, then perhaps a market cap of $680M (~40c/share) would be the comparison point.

One would expect EBITDA to increase again over time, as well as the required multiple for any takeover as Sky begins to realise some success.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    Never mind the NRL, the best live event on TV this weekend is on CNN. America in chaos.
    One good reason to have Sky eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I don't think you can compare the EBITDA multiples of the two companies (as much as I would like to!).

SKY TV UK is a totally different company. They are a full blown telco, broadcaster and even have a newspaper. Plus they are able to reach the entire EU (half a billion people).

Sky TV NZ is just a broadcaster. That is going to change, and I am optimistic about the revenue diversification - but it is yet to be seen how successful it is.

When Sky was going to merge with Vodafone the value ascribed to Sky was based on an EBITDA of 6.8 from memory. So, if EBITDA wittles down to $100M while they are transitioning, then perhaps a market cap of $680M (~40c/share) would be the comparison point.

One would expect EBITDA to increase again over time, as well as the required multiple for any takeover as Sky begins to realise some success.
    Agree with all of that, plus, 2018 is not 2020.

Content distribution is increasingly about global scale. If you don't have that, then maybe UK is a large enough market, for a while. But NZ?
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Advanced Member

On my confirmation email of the entitlement it was numbered in the 700s.

So I'm assuming ~700 people have filled in the form so far out of ~6,487.

Obviously there is going to be a shortfall. Likely at least $15m I would say.

Retail investors can't afford 34c a share, especially when the stock is trading so close to the application price.

The shorters and manipulators have played this well. Once they've loaded up on cheap underwrittern shares at 12, you'll start to see "buy" recommendations come out from institutions. Wouldn't be surprised if a take over came at 50 in a few months, which is still below the 52 week adjusted high.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    One good reason to have Sky eh
    Seem to be a few ways to watch CNN without SKY.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Seem to be a few ways to watch CNN without SKY.
    Yep, I've had access to all the news channels without Sky while things have been happening in the USA over recent days.

Interestingly, even at zero cost, watching any of those commercial channels arguably makes you less informed, especially the ones pushing opinions and political agendas.

The place to go for coverage was social media, with rioters and passers by providing constantly updated footage from every angle. The vast majority of it never made it to TV news - between glancing at TV news, and watching the constant content appearing on my social media feeds, at times, it was like watching two totally different things.

It is a little bit like the day with the nutter in Christchurch. If you recall, the TV hosts were playing down what was happening under orders and even quite late in the day, it was possible to completely misread the scale and number of deaths from the TV coverage provided. Meanwhile on the internet, people had seen from the shooter himself exactly what had happened.

TV News has largely been disintermediated by people power and the internet, so it is difficult to see the value proposition in a paid aggregator of the disintermediated.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----