sharetrader
Page 808 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 3087087587988048058068078088098108118128188589081308 ... LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,080 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I think the increase in sky sub is more a reflection on how successful the club has been!

Clearly they have attracted a lot more members! And, therefore, eyeballs glued to the screen watching Sky!
    And don’t forget, if Sky really is just ripping them off they can always cancel their sub…

I may be wrong on this, but I don’t believe that Sky have a gun to their head…

Advanced Member

Clubs NZ 2021 annual report:

https://www.clubsnz.org.nz/assets/Ab...ual-Report.pdf

• 200% increase in surplus year on year
    • $11,639 in commission from Sky TV
    • Claims government wage subsidy

The Sky TV increase at the end of 2019 is an example of how a single thing can hugely challenge our members financial viability. I am aware there are clubs who will consider their future pay TV options and there are a few who will just give up their TAB systems altogether. Our CEO is working alongside Hospitality New Zealand and the TAB to work through several solutions including live streaming options. This will continue to be a work in progress. There are new developments in the pipeline which will be presented at the 2021 AGM.

Sky Television’s bullying tactics are unacceptable. If there was one issue that has created a sense of mistrust and anger among clubs, it is this company’s attitude to pricing and unjustifiable and inconsistent measurement of charges. We have tried to discuss this with them, however they continue to talk about increased services and more programming content available, which clubs have no interest in. The remaining option is a mass membership exodus, and this will require coordinated member support. Government at this stage say they will not get involved because it is “commercial”. While the last resort solution remains with our group’s total membership, maybe it is time to flexour 300,000-membership muscle don’t bite the hand that feeds you, Mr Sky and Spark
    Page 16: "The main expense items under budget were board and staff expenses"
    $863,765 in board and staff fees

Advanced Member

lol. my parents are members of one of the two clubs mentioned in the complaint. Its a very big club with a massive amount of seating - on rugby nights they get over a thousand people on the premises.

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Clubs NZ 2021 annual report:

https://www.clubsnz.org.nz/assets/Ab...ual-Report.pdf

• 200% increase in surplus year on year
    • $11,639 in commission from Sky TV
    • Claims government wage subsidy

Page 16: "The main expense items under budget were board and staff expenses"
    $863,765 in board and staff fees

Wow interesting, thanks for hi-lighting it.

The first thing that caught my eye was the 5% nz rugby hold the mentioned. Being almost a year since nz rugby was diluted down to less than 2%. If they got such a simple thing wrong that's been know for a year what else is factually incorrect?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    The first thing that caught my eye was the 5% nz rugby hold the mentioned. Being almost a year since nz rugby was diluted down to less than 2%. If they got such a simple thing wrong that's been know for a year what else is factually incorrect?
    I understand their concern. That's why Discovery need to take over Sky. The savings will then be passed onto customers. Consolidation is the way to lower prices.

Takeovers generally only results in higher prices as the company that buys it trys to get ima returns back quicker

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    I understand their concern. That's why Discovery need to take over Sky. The savings will then be passed onto customers. Consolidation is the way to lower prices.
    Discovery NEED to takeover Sky to protect these clubs from the NZR?

LOLLLLLLL.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    Takeovers generally only results in higher prices as the company that buys it trys to get ima returns back quicker

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/comcom...rger-th-199887

“We’re generally supportive of market consolidation where it leads to better outcomes for consumers.” Said Spark’s general manager regulatory affairs John Wesley-Smith.

What actually ended up happening:

-Sky declined consolidation with Vodafone
    -Spark enters sports market
    -Customers end up getting billed for both Cricket and Rugby
    -Sky's costs are fixed so it pasts on increased cost to compensate
    -Club NZ ends up paying more
    -Whingey old man from Club NZ ends up complaining to ComCom about price increases

NZ Rugby takes $16m impairment on Sky TV investment, reveals extent of Sky clawback on broadcast rights
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12441015

NZ rugby's sgare in sky 1.7%. Not 5% stipulated by clubs nz