sharetrader
Page 134 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 34841241301311321331341351361371381441842346341134 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 14170

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    You know the one place/service where I can still get everything I want in the above scenario? Piracy/torrents
    Yup, that is the issue. I'll spend a couple hours studying Sky TV as a possible investment, totally seeing a lot of value *in theory*, then I'll unwind by watching anything I want, from anywhere I want, for free.

It is really hard to see any long term competitive advantage that a company like Sky now has in the delivery of either movies or pre-recorded television programs.

About all that is keeping the lights on is live programs, especially sport. But as a result, TV channels globally are bidding insane amounts of money for anything of this nature, even in an environment of ever declining ratings. Witness the deals done by World Wrestling Entertainment last year to provide a product that is getting worse and less popular by the month, as reflected in the rapidly falling ratings. So why did Fox and USA pay so much? Live content.

It's easy to see a scenario where the TV and movies that Sky provides are available more cheaply or free elsewhere, while the live stuff, especially sport, becomes so expensive they're delivering it for almost no profit.

SKT stands out as dirt cheap in a world of expensive shares, but I still think it is more likely a value trap than a bargain.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    You know the one place/service where I can still get everything I want in the above scenario? Piracy/torrents
    While you are correct, it is easy to underestimate (imo) the lack of technical capability of the general populous that could take advantage of these 'work arounds'. Sky survives presently on customer apathy, it is likely that their customer base have few ideas about, or ability to watch whatever they want on the internet by consuming illegal content through invisible streams.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    While you are correct, it is easy to underestimate (imo) the lack of technical capability of the general populous that could take advantage of these 'work arounds'. Sky survives presently on customer apathy, it is likely that their customer base have few ideas about, or ability to watch whatever they want on the internet by consuming illegal content through invisible streams.
    I tend to agree that a large portion of the populous would struggle to figure out how to pirate content and get it up on their big screen.

Piracy is definitely Sky TV's largest competitor though. Personally, I think people are damned silly to do it. Quite apart from the clear moral hazard in doing so, they expose themselves to all sorts of viruses with this activity. And one should support the industries they want to see more of by paying for the service.

I appreciate that many people who do think they have a right to steal content would greet the above comments with a blank stare though.

Ultimately, Sky need to keep improving their streaming platforms to combat this. If people can access a reliable and user friendly service that has a range of great content they will pay for it. Paying 67 cents a day for NEON (40c a day if you just take SOHO) is chump change for the VAST majority of Kiwis. Sky just need to fix the usability quirks, enhance the content options available and I don't think they will have too much trouble increasing subscriptions. Same goes for FANPASS.

If they can convince the large segment of the population who want content, but are not interested in an every-channel expensive satellite subscription, to look at NEON and FANPASS you could get $59 per user right there (ARPU would actually be $29.50 because they would be viewed as two separate subscribers. However it is the same person coughing up $59/month). No stuffing around with set top boxes, and technicians doing site visits to get the customer up and running. Just money in the bank.

Oh, and can they hurry up get NEON on AppleTV already?! They have been promising this since 2016...
    Last edited by mistaTea; 21-07-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Guru

Guru

Sky Sport NOW just landed.

Upgraded my iPhone app and have had a bit of a play. I have to say...wow. The content and functionality available is so far ahead of FANPASS it's not funny.

Looking forward to having a go on my AppleTV app later tonight and see how it works on the big screen.

Thumbs up from me.

Outside thinking.

Interesting changes going on at SKY. When does a sell share become a buy again?

Sky buys RugbyPass

Advanced Member

I left Sky just to join Sky Sports Now. Obviously a little bit of a bummer not being able to watch one thing on the TV and watch another on the laptop but then I don't have to pay for Sky Basic anymore which I never watched anyway. Had some issues with the app on a PS4 when I switched between the rugby and the cricket several times then broadcasting stopped working. But it restarted relatively quickly. For once its way better than SkyGo already which always was a dog.

Guru

The only thing that is potentially dubious about the deal is the fact that Sky are paying for half of the deal by issuing new shares. The current SP is very low compared to what a long-term investor would realistically pay to buy all of Sky Television.

So using equity to fund the payment right now could be wealth destroying to existing shareholders.

The only way this would make sense to me is if the US$40M is much lower than Sky would have needed to pay for an all cash deal. The existing owners may have been happy to settle on a lower purchase price knowing they will get a big block of Sky shares and can participate in the upside over time.

Otherwise, if US$40M fairly values Rugby Pass (or represents a premium to intrinsic value) and Sky just paid using undervalued shares...that would not be good at all.

Guru

Dug a little deeper to see where they currently have the rights to stream rugby...

"RugbyPass coverage throughout Asia (Zone 1 & 2) includes every game from the Rugby Championship, 6 Nations, Heineken Champions Cup, Challenge Cup, Super Rugby, Gallagher Premiership, Premiership Cup, Pro 14, Mitre 10 Cup, Currie Cup and RugbyPass TV.

Zone 1 & 2 countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

Zone 3 coverage includes every game from The Rugby Championship, Gallagher Premiership, Super Rugby, Mitre10 Cup and Currie Cup live and on-demand and subscriptions are available in the following countries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia, & Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine.

RugbyPass subscriptions in Australia (Zone 4) include every game from the Pro14 and Heineken Champions Cup plus selected matches from the Challenge Cup live and on-demand.

Zone 5 subscriptions which cover the rest of the world currently include access to RugbyPassTV which includes all of our shows & documentaries.

Zone 6 subscribers get access to every match from The Rugby Championship, Super Rugby, Mitre 10 Cup, Currie Cup, plus RugbyPassTV throughout Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Noway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden."

So they do have quite a wide audience indeed, in places where interest in rugby is growing.

I did some back of the envelope math earlier...they reckon there are 120M rugby fans worldwide. Let's assume that seems reasonable for now, but remove 20M of those (to be on the safe side) since rugby rights are pretty well locked up in NZ, UK, Aussie and South Africa...

So of the 100M fans RugbyPass could potentially reach...If they could provide enough content to convince just 1% to pay US$15/month to subscribe every month, the earnings generated for Sky could easily be NZ$300M-400M over 10 years.

No doubt, Sky have ambitions to go far beyond that and I will be watching this space with interest. One would think, at the very least, this move puts Sky in a much stronger position to keep Super Rugby and other key rugby competitions far from Spark Sport's grasp.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 17-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.

I am getting more nervous with regards to the live streaming of RWC... May be its better to hit the Pubs(where SKY's boxes wouldn't fail) rather than rely on Spark Sport

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12259661