sharetrader
Page 176 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 761261661721731741751761771781791801862262766761176 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 14171
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    It’s all relative. If there was no such thing as NETFLIX I would be saying NEON is super wonderful, no complaints at all - just happy to have a cheaper alternative to a big satellite bundle. UX is way better than MySky - can’t believe how lucky I am!...
    I started a sub to Netflix last month and I was expecting to cancel it after a short period. However I was pleasantly surprised at lack of connection issues and the ease of use both on Mac and iOS. Plus I was expecting mostly US content but found great programming from the UK, Aus and Europe.So for me it is great value for money.

I had another look at TVNZ on demand too. Big improvements since I last looked (over a year ago!). The ads are no longer as intrusive as they had been. I could happily live with those two services were it not for sport - so still have the old generation Sky sub and paraphernalia.

I looked into Amazon Prime but the NZ service seems to have a dearth of content. Even the great US Prime series "Transparent" is not available in NZ on Prime. Someone else must be sitting on the rights.

It would be great if Sky were flexible. I would love to be able to select online only for a couple of channels.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 20-01-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I started a sub to Netflix last month and I was expecting to cancel it after a short period. However I was pleasantly surprised at lack of connection issues and the ease of use both on Mac and iOS. Plus I was expecting mostly US content but found great programming from the UK, Aus and Europe.So for me it is great value for money.

I had another look at TVNZ on demand too. Big improvements since I last looked (over a year ago!). The ads are no longer as intrusive as they had been. I could happily live with those two services were it not for sport - so still have the old generation Sky sub and paraphernalia.

I looked into Amazon Prime but the NZ service seems to have a dearth of content. Even the great US Prime series "Transparent" is not available in NZ on Prime. Someone else must be sitting on the rights.

It would be great if Sky were flexible. I would love to be able to select online only for a couple of channels.
    If you only have sky for sport - why don’t you cancel your satellite sub and just subscribe to their streaming app - Sky Sport NOW ?

I have fibre so that’s what I subscribe to for my sport. Only costs $39.99/month (12 month contract) or $49.99/month if you don’t want to be locked into a minimum term.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 20-01-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Guru

Came across this write up from November last year:

https://simonowens.substack.com/p/wh...-lost-interest

Now if only Sky and Spark could join forces and do some kind of a deal for Sport, rather than continue fighting only to cause future Sport rights to balloon.

They have just done a deal for Lightbox, so who knows what else might be on the cards? I get the impression that Jolene Hodson is very pragmatic, and not as bullish on Sport streaming as Simon Moutter.

Of course, I could be wrong about that. She may be playing it cool with her statements to media, but behind the scenes still be pushing aggressively to take more and more sport of Sky regardless of the cost.

Their next lot of results should be interesting - I believe we will learn how much they have spent on sport streaming in total (platform costs + spend on all streaming rights).

Sky completes Lightbox deal and shares at, I believe, new all time low.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Think 68 cents (or should we say $0.68) is an all time low. Still a $300m company though (market cap that is)

Its one sad chart since 2014 isnt it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by winner69; 03-02-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Think 68 cents (or should we say $0.68) is an all time low. Still a $300m company though (market cap that is)

Its one sad chart since 2014 isnt it
    I guess that represents the market sentiment towards it at the moment and I imagine there are a bunch of people just watching all markets at the moment and licking ice creams trying to beat the heat.

I have heard that the new Exec has been culling a LOT of jobs at SKY....where there once was a team there is now one or two.

It's gonna take some really solid proof to get people back on side, a full makeover, maybe with an accompanying montage? but if they do I think this company will be back to at least par value if not more.

Advanced Member

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/347828

Anyone any idea how long it takes for the two products to become one ?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    I guess that represents the market sentiment towards it at the moment and I imagine there are a bunch of people just watching all markets at the moment and licking ice creams trying to beat the heat.

I have heard that the new Exec has been culling a LOT of jobs at SKY....where there once was a team there is now one or two.

It's gonna take some really solid proof to get people back on side, a full makeover, maybe with an accompanying montage? but if they do I think this company will be back to at least par value if not more.
    Out of curiosity..... what do you consider par value ?
    Its kind of ironic that while the SP is at a low.....the quality of their streaming is the best its ever been (I think anyway)
    Streamed some of the tennis last night and it was excellent. Way better than I expected.

Neon on the other hand....Grrrrrr.
    Last edited by RTM; 03-02-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Guru

Yeah the deal is locked in now re: Lightbox.

I think it is shameful that Spark recently touted a subscription number of 360,000. Turns out they only actually have 130,000 active users. Next time they report Spark Sport subscription numbers we will need to take it with a tablespoon of salt.

Still, when Blair releases the unofficial sub numbers as at 31 Jan when the HY results are released, Sky should be sitting at around 1 million subscribers now by my reckoning.

I just hope Sky end up creating a new merged service and then retire existing NEON and Lightbox. The media articles weren't clear (because Sky have not offered clarity...). If they try to somehow maintain the existing services plus add a new 'merged' service that would make no sense to me.

In my mind, they need to completely transition away from satellite within 5 years to four core streaming services:

1. Sky Sport NOW - for the fans that love Sky's sport offering, but are quite happy with Netflix etc for their other entertainment
    2. New significantly enhanced SVOD service (the merged NEON and Lightbox) - for those that enjoy Sky's Movies and SOHO content, but aren't interested in sport
    3. RugbyPass - for the international rugby fans. As much as I disagree with the practice, Nzers can also access this service if they just want rugby by using a VPN.
    4. Updated and Enhanced SkyGO as a standalone with appropriate pricing for multiple simultaneous streams - for people like myself who enjoy both Sky's sport and entertainment offerings, want it all on one user friendly platform...but has to be a reasonable price.

That should cover their bases and ensure they have 'something for everyone', at reasonable prices.

Just over a week until we hear from Martin Stewart to get a sense of what they have done over the last 6 months - and what he thinks the way forward is. It is entirely possible that Martin knows more about the industry (and therefore the best path forward) than me!

I wonder if they are holding on to a big announcement to try and add some 'wow factor' to the next lot of results?
    Last edited by mistaTea; 03-02-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo fix

At this level I am expecting to see Sky acquired in the not too distant future. Someone like Foxtel...