sharetrader
Page 781 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2816817317717777787797807817827837847857918318811281 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,810 of 14173
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Do you have a link that actually says 'worldwide'?

Everything I read says [US] domestic.

Disc: have no streaming subscriptions at all.
    From statement from Netflix: “Sony Pictures is a great partner and we are thrilled to expand our relationship through this forward-thinking agreement,” said Scott Stuber, Head of Global Films at Netflix. “This not only allows us to bring their impressive slate of beloved film franchises and new IP to Netflix in the U.S., but it also establishes a new source of first run films for Netflix movie lovers worldwide.

I'm hoping the ambiguity in that statement maybe indicates that Sky may still have some hope of retaining a relationship of some form.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    https://www.bandt.com.au/us2b-offer-...xtel-rejected/

Your boy Leo was going to pay US$2B for majority control of Foxtel.

For a quarter of that he could take 100% ownership of Sky Network Television and RugbyPass.

Did you contact him and let him know you have packaged Sky TV up for him all ready to go?

https://www.cablecenter.org/about-us...indery-jr.html
    I will, after you have coffee with him.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    I don't like the reliance on a service like NEON which is pretty much 100% reliant on international content deals that could disappear at the expiry of current deals. Perhaps wouldn't be the craziest idea for Sky to partner with a proven local production company to create some new exclusive local content for its platform, be it scripted content or "reality show" content (as much as I personally dislike those, they are huge draws for TVNZ & TV3).
    Sky live and dis by their ability to maintain good relationships with content partners. The partners change over time. In this business you win some and you lose some.

I don't think Sky will be able to spend their way out of this by funding a host of local productions. There is scope for some of that, sure...but only limited scope I think.

I stand to be corrected, but the key content producers are now in a position where they get to have a bob both ways. They can still sign deals with content aggregators and distributors like Sky TV (guaranteed cheque every year and no cost maintaining relationships with customers, marketing etc) as well as reserve the right to distribute using their own OTT platforms. So they have the potential for even more revenue from 'cord cutters'.

I don't see that Sky is in any danger of running out of partners to do business with anytime soon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    I will, after you have coffee with him.
    And you just know I totally would if he was in NZ!

Advanced Member

And you just know I totally would if he was in NZ!
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...26-p57ebk.html

Rumors is he's shopping again.

Maybe he's the mysterious buyer?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post

Maybe he's the mysterious buyer?
    Doubt it. He hasn't launched the new SPAC vehicle yet.

Advanced Member

Doubt it. He hasn't launched the new SPAC vehicle yet.
    SPACS also are usually only used for acquiring unlisted companies, and Sky would be far too small a company to use up the capital in one of these SPAC vehicles.

(Although the way the US market is currently with these ventures, potentially could spin it as trying to re-launch rugby as a new professional sport in the USA)
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 09-04-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    SPACS also are usually only used for acquiring unlisted companies, and Sky would be far too small a company to use up the capital in one of these SPAC vehicles.
    Ultimately, Leo will invest in wherever it makes sense to invest - be it the purchase of a private or listed business. I don't believe his SPAC vehicle would limit him.

We just need to remember that Sky TV has had a very low EBITDA multiple for about two years now. In that time not a single entity has made a serious approach to the Sky Board.

No doubt there will have been some parties that would have sniffed around, but ultimately no offers.

That does not mean to say that an offer will never materialise, however we do need keep this in mind. Any of the bigger players could have taken Sky out long before now for a sum of money that would barely even be a rounding error on their Balance Sheet.

Thread posted over on Reddit asking what other kiwis use for their TV content. Interesting read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/...m_source=share

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DownTownJr View Post
    Thread posted over on Reddit asking what other kiwis use for their TV content. Interesting read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/...m_source=share
    Some of the comments are interesting I suppose. Though I think there is a selection bias towards "linear sucks, OTT rules" that does not seem to align with what we are seeing in the wider community.

Sky Box customers have increased to 600K. There are 600K households - a significant minority - who still consume their TV the 'old fashioned way'. And with time shifting set top boxes, most of them are watching a lot of their content 'on demand' anyway.
    Those 600K+ households mean that Sky's Old School offering is reaching the eyeballs of at least 2M people.

Add in all the Commercial premises and the number of eyeballs reached goes up significantly.

None of these people seem to be posting on the Reddit discussion though!