sharetrader
Page 113 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 13631031091101111121131141151161171231632136131113 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 14173

I dont think we will see SKY in the coming years. The generation coming do not really care for what ever they offer. Many of my friends have no reason to use SKY. Most of their shows come from netflix or other streaming services. If they want to watch some sporting event they go to go to a pub (which has sky lol) or just look for an online stream through reddit (like using ACE stream etc). Movies? torrent / stream online. If they want to display it on their TV they just put in the HDMI. This is just my view around the world of streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by carrom74 View Post
    [FONT="]"An industry source [/FONT]tells the Herald that NBC Universal has kicked the tyres at Sky, and may even have moved to a due diligence phase."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12144107

Balance.. this news is about 4 months old,but if NBC thinks the price is right... then even this mutt is worth eh?.
    Sp action says deal is off?

Quote Originally Posted by carrom74 View Post
    ABs contract with Sky expires in 2020.

If they lose it, it's all over for Sky.

So they are going to have to pay up - big bucks - which will impact on future profitability in a declining subscriber base.

Brave of anyone to invest in this mutt!

Just like real estate where the three most important factors are location location and location the three most important factors in pay TV are sport sport and sport.

Spark with Rugby World Cup rights are nibbling at the edges.

For general broadcasting over the internet the AV1 codec is coming. Smaller transmission bandwidth requirements, smarter image rendering and the support of several tech heavyweights. Watch this space. The internet is an open access resource so there are fewer barriers to entry than a distribution model that relies on satellites.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post

For general broadcasting over the internet the AV1 codec is coming. Smaller transmission bandwidth requirements, smarter image rendering and the support of several tech heavyweights. Watch this space. The internet is an open access resource so there are fewer barriers to entry than a distribution model that relies on satellites.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Yes indeed. And that all sounds lovely Marilyn, except for the fact that the internet is still unreliable for live streaming. Clearly we are heading to a world that broadcasts more and more content online, and the technology is definitely improving - but, in the words of Mr Fellet, the satellite will still be 'doing the heavy lifting' for some time to come.

It reminds me of the lunatics who think the 'old school' electricity generators will be irrelevant shortly, because we will soon be running our homes and businesses off self-produced solar power since 'battery storage technology is the best thing since sliced bread nowadays'.

Sounds good, but does not stack up when we come back to the real world.

So far as I can tell, SKY TV is the only broadcaster that is able to stream all of their content online AND via satellite. That would virtually guarantee a seamless transmission of live sport, and could be positioned as a competitive advantage.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Yes indeed. And that all sounds lovely Marilyn, except for the fact that the internet is still unreliable for live streaming. Clearly we are heading to a world that broadcasts more and more content online, and the technology is definitely improving - but, in the words of Mr Fellet, the satellite will still be 'doing the heavy lifting' for some time to come.

It reminds me of the lunatics who think the 'old school' electricity generators will be irrelevant shortly, because we will soon be running our homes and businesses off self-produced solar power since 'battery storage technology is the best thing since sliced bread nowadays'.

So far as I can tell, SKY TV is the only broadcaster that is able to stream all of their content online AND via satellite. That would virtually guarantee a seamless transmission of live sport, and could be positioned as a competitive advantage.
    End of the day, SKY have had it their own way for so long - and with that they have become largely 'lazy'. There is now competition knocking at the door - which they have never really had, and it is how they respond to that.
    SKY is a company people love to hate, but you think Spark is going to be any better?? SKY
    can stream, the internet doesn't belong to one person, and do all these other things, but if Spark get serious, they would have deeper pockets.

Having said that, SKY have been generating some pretty hefty free cashflows. Typically their depreciation/amortization has been $100-120m per year (except for last year where they wrote off a lot of goodwill). Even in past years, divvies would only be 40-50% of their net profit.

$1.1B of intangible assets sitting on the balance sheet....!

There is a slight difference. I can teach a 5 year old or 90 year old how to obtain Sky's product for free in about 10 minutes. I can't do that with electricity.

In fact, once you factor in administration (paying the bill), satellite/rain fade issues, and the difficulty of obtaining customer service, I would argue it is also easier to get the content for free instead of paying for it.

Once your competitor, in effect, has a price point of zero and a broader offering, you're basically just crossing your fingers and hoping stubborn old people die more slowly, on a low enough valuation. That's the business model and investment case.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    There is a slight difference. I can teach a 5 year old or 90 year old how to obtain Sky's product for free in about 10 minutes. I can't do that with electricity.
    If companies start going bust because it is easy to steal their product instead of paying for it (and becomes so normal that people start bragging about their proficiency in theft...) then God help us all.

If companies start going bust because it is easy to steal their product instead of paying for it (and becomes so normal that people start bragging about their proficiency in theft...) then God help us all.
    That is a risk many companies have. The trick is to make it tricky to steal or copy.