sharetrader
Page 90 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990919293941001401905901090 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Hi Tim, can you explain more? I am about to say goodbye to SKY as the tennis is over and cricket does not start for a while. What deal did you negotiate and do you have to initiate the negotiation or do SKY do it themselves?
    I have sky Via Vodaphone as on cable in Wellington . I called and said I wanted to cancel it , they immediately offered a $ 300 incentive to sign up for a year .
    So just start off with either I am cancelling or I need to cut some costs are there any specials on at the moment and they should start coming to the party .
    i would suggest repeat this with your mobile phone provider, and insurance or go via an insurance broker to check if they could make any savings or get you a better
    policy for the same or better cost .
    If you need any help with a mortgage PM me ...!!

Advanced Member

Rang them and said I'd been a customer for close to 20 years (switched to digital when it first came out as needed to take decoder so could watch cricket at beach house - also had to switch to Meredian Energy). Anyway expecting to get movies for 3 months I got free Soho for 3 months and my basic reduced to $1 a month for 12 months, it was worth about $400. Admittedly I have multi room, Soho, my sky so was spending about $140 a month. Was best money I ever earned then did the same with Meredian and got my prompt pay discount to 15% from 10% plus $100 credit.
    Hi Tim, can you explain more? I am about to say goodbye to SKY as the tennis is over and cricket does not start for a while. What deal did you negotiate and do you have to initiate the negotiation or do SKY do it themselves?

Guru

Thanks for the replies. Will be giving them a call tomorrow and seeing what they have to offer. I have heard from another source that you can also get deals through the telemarketer on a different 0800 number for SKY. So will be trying both approaches and see what happens. I am paying about $90 a month at the moment but we only really watch sports and all the other stuff we watch is free anyway. I may even say to the SKY people that my friend has a KODI box and gets everything for free and that I am looking at that option... what can you offer me?
    Thanks for the other possibilities Tim and Stoploss, did not even consider Meridian, and or Insurance, we have successfully negotiated with the bank in the past but off course the other providers are there too. Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. Will be giving them a call tomorrow and seeing what they have to offer. I have heard from another source that you can also get deals through the telemarketer on a different 0800 number for SKY. So will be trying both approaches and see what happens. I am paying about $90 a month at the moment but we only really watch sports and all the other stuff we watch is free anyway. I may even say to the SKY people that my friend has a KODI box and gets everything for free and that I am looking at that option... what can you offer me?
    Thanks for the other possibilities Tim and Stoploss, did not even consider Meridian, and or Insurance, we have successfully negotiated with the bank in the past but off course the other providers are there too. Cheers!
    The telemarketer deal requires you to have completed a stand-down period of a few months (exact period varies by contact centre agent).

I'm not sure if mentioning the free Kodi deal is an ideal strategy as you're admitting to the call centre agent that one alternative is to pirate content, and although there is rigorous debate on the legal technicalities, I personally would not want to be caught up in any test cases.

IMO the best strategy is to push the case for having been a long time loyal customer, and point out the other low-cost legal generic streaming alternatives.

Bit OT I suppose, so I'll leave this there.

Advanced Member

With Meredian I just mentioned that Genesis had a great deal going and that my wife had shares in Genesis so we should be with them - that seemed to help!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    The telemarketer deal requires you to have completed a stand-down period of a few months (exact period varies by contact centre agent).

I'm not sure if mentioning the free Kodi deal is an ideal strategy as you're admitting to the call centre agent that one alternative is to pirate content, and although there is rigorous debate on the legal technicalities, I personally would not want to be caught up in any test cases.

I did wonder about that.. I might just mention that my friend has a Kodi box and leave it at that. The legal technicalities are interesting. I did understand it is not illegal to actually have one, even view content. But opinions do differ.

As for the stand down, I need not have SKY till the cricket season starts and failing that, my partner will apply in her name... so no stand by required.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i cancelled a mth ago they offered us my sky half price to stay - i said no sick of being ripped off so no thanks - took them 15 yrs to offer me something.

anyway price is still overvalued i reckon on forward cashflows
    I intend to cancel our Sky basic package which is a rip off. I would seriously consider keeping it, if we were offered it half price to stay. Did Sky just offer you the deal when you said you intend to cancel?

Since SKY seem devoid of any bright ideas, heres one they can have for free. Buy the OZ/NZ Tivo licence.

That way they buy a few hundred thousand loyal set top box users and save them $600 each from buying a new PVR - which they could spend on SKY subs. They can stream pay per views via the set top box. And they can come to a deal with Vodafone to share internet resource. Does away with cost of dishes. Could look at bundling Netflix / lightbox apps and the like through the same box. Given their cash wouldn't be an expensive investment and gives them another leg or two for income.

Quote Originally Posted by Everwood View Post
    I intend to cancel our Sky basic package which is a rip off. I would seriously consider keeping it, if we were offered it half price to stay. Did Sky just offer you the deal when you said you intend to cancel?
    i said im cancelling, they said why your been a very long time customer, he said is it the price and I said yes..... he said we give you half price for a year if you stay ... I say no we have better alternatives now goodbye.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i said im cancelling, they said why your been a very long time customer, he said is it the price and I said yes..... he said we give you half price for a year if you stay ... I say no we have better alternatives now goodbye.