sharetrader
Page 124 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 24741141201211221231241251261271281341742246241124 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 14170

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Agreed. If they didn't want people on a month-by-month option with no contract they just shouldn't have offered that option (rather than giving the option but with an insane price that no reasonable person would ever pay).
    Personally I dont think thats too unreasonable to bump up price for short termers, I paid for one month at that price to check it out without having to committ. There was one month back then that had an enormous amount of sport in it. I think it was Wimbledon and AB rugby tests (2 or 3 in that month). And there was Conon McGregor fighting Floyd too ! (Extra payment of course) But I consider I got great value.

And then a few months later I signed up for a year. Everyones a winner.
    Last edited by peat; 22-03-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Wow, you packed it in entirely because you had to wait 15 minutes?

Nobody likes being put on hold, but it is a reality for many organisations that wait times (often well beyond 15 minutes in some industries) occur.
    Actually no I did not pack it in because of the wait,Whilst on hold it gave me time to think about whether I actually needed Sky given that most of the sport I wanted was on Prime.I worked out I could buy a freeview recorder,for 3 months of sky subs and the rest as they say is all profit.
    If Sky had answered their phone straight away,I would not have had time to ponder.You also have to remember that Sky had not answered for over 15 mins,so how much longer I might have been waiting is anyone's guess.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Personally I dont think thats too unreasonable to bump up price for short termers

Paying a higher price for a no-contract, no minimum-term is completely acceptable business practice and pricing strategy.

I just think the $99/month is ridiculous, and too much of a hurdle for most people.

Though I obviously don't have their content cost figures to work from, I would have thought that they would end up with a pricing model something like:

1. $39.99 per month all you can eat Sky Sport 1 - 4, 6 month contract
    2. $59.99 per month all you can eat Sky Sport 1 - 4, no contract, cancel anytime
    3. Add additional channels (like ESPN) $4.99 per month, 6 month contract

Many more people may sign up for a month at 60 bucks to give it a go and then go on to take the contracted pricing if they are happy with the service.

There has to be a sweet spot for Sky where they take less revenue per subscriber, but are able to significantly increase their subscription base thereby maintaining a reasonable level of profitability.

Paying a higher price for a no-contract, no minimum-term is completely acceptable business practice and pricing strategy.

There has to be a sweet spot for Sky where they take less revenue per subscriber, but are able to significantly increase their subscription base thereby maintaining a reasonable level of profitability.
    Agree including for the "full package" as I have said before, they should be charging much if anything for the channels you can get on freeview, a lot of people will not pay and will not bother trying to stream it from some "dodgy site" or either take up Spark on the stuff they want when they want it

Guru

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/332602

John Fellet gone. All the criticisms before about Martin Stewart not being able to be his 'own man' with John in the background unfounded.

This guy is really cracking the whip! Will it turn into long-term tangible results though?

John Fellet gone. All the criticisms before about Martin Stewart not being able to be his 'own man' with John in the background unfounded.

This guy is really cracking the whip! Will it turn into long-term tangible results though?
    Too little, too late. Handley is still there.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Too little, too late. Handley is still there.

Maybe Derek will be gone next! I love your optimism minimoke!

Maybe Derek will be gone next! I love your optimism minimoke!
    I'm a bit grumpy actually. Ages ago I foresaw a drop in SP and consequently sold out totally. And do you think I got tapped on the shoulder for the Chief Technology Officer job. No I didn't! And I obviously had the skills. Even now I am in a loosing position with some of my portfolio so I am still neck and neck with Handley's abilities. (Plus I am probably equally full of sh1te)

Banned

You gotta love all the PR crap in the announcement. What it should have said is...

John built a great business but then took his customers for granted treating them with contempt for years. Finally he saw the writing on the wall about 5 years after normal human beings did but he did little to change the business ensuring the new CEO would have to be heroic in his endeavours to save the dying dinosaur Sky.

Have to say though the new CEO is certainly trying hard to shake things up - pity he didnt get the job about 2015.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Arbroath View Post
    You gotta love all the PR crap in the announcement.

Have to say though the new CEO is certainly trying hard to shake things up - pity he didnt get the job about 2015.
    Personally I think John has been a very good CEO for Sky. Though he was not able to meet the rapid changes in consumer demand more recently, I am not willing to dog him completely. He has built a very profitable media company, and the new CEO now has an opportunity to capitalise on the many excellent assets John developed.

It is fair to say that consumer benefit fell to the wayside (likely due to Sky being a virtual monopoly for premium content for so long). This complacency in addition to the failed Sky-Vodafone merger has certainly cost the company dearly in recent years.

From here either Sky dies a slow and painful death, or this becomes the first chapter of a new book. Though Sky TV definitely need to improve their offerings, I do think NZ would be worse off if they folded. Just my personal opinion, but they do have a lot of really good content not available on more popular platforms such as Netflix.