sharetrader
Page 1060 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 6056096010101050105610571058105910601061106210631064107011101160 ... LastLast
Results 10,591 to 10,600 of 14173

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    He isn't wrong about a number of the points he raises though.

The latest woke craze in NZ seems to be whites trying to force themselves to use Maori pronunciation instead of Anglo pronunciation of Maori-origin words. Terrified of being called a racist or bigot unless they speak in a way that is unnatural in the context of English being their first language.

Just looks ridiculous when you get these tighty whiteys who can't actually speak a lick of Maori going to great pains to give the impression that they love the cuzzies more than they actually do. I wager most of these whites would be the first to cross the street if they saw a Maori with a moko or wearing a hoodie approaching.

But this is probably a discussion best suited for one of the political forums, and not SKT

Yup it's like when some say wangarei when chatting casually but go above and beyond to say 'Whangarei' correctly during corporate meetings. Being woke is profitable these days and i am a pragmatist than an ideologue so i just go along with the Aotearoa Speak.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quantitative Easing View Post
    Yup it's like when some say wangarei when chatting casually but go above and beyond to say 'Whangarei' correctly during corporate meetings..
    Will make this my last post on this topic as it really does belong in the political discussion arena.

But I will say this...your premise that people choose certain settings to pronounce a word like Whangarei "correctly" (i.e. Maori pronounciation) is flawed.

Saying 'Wung-a-ray' is not actually incorrect. It is just the Anglo pronounciation of a Maori-origin word. Assimilating words into ones own language and altering the pronounciation is the most natural thing in the world. All cultures do it. This is linguistics 101.

Otherwise we would have to say that we are 'wrong' in the way we say words like Paris. Should we instread use the French pronounciaton of Pa-ree lest we offend the French? Perhaps we are just a bunch of racists or just plain ignorant for not using French pronounciation and saying their words "correctly" when we are speaking in English?

There are so many examples you could point to. Skoda is an increasingly popular car in NZ. We say sko-da...but the Czech pronounciation is Schkaw-da.

Are we 'wrong' for saying Skoda the way we do it? Should we all put on a Czech accent and say Schaw-da when referring to the vehicle? Of course not - that would be ridiculous! We have simply assimilated it into the English language and altered how we pronounce it to make it 'fit' better.

But because these are Maori words, we need to behave differently - or so I am told. Soon people will be giving me the hairy eyeball for referring to our country as New Zealand.

I do get a bit hot under the collar when the largely ignorant woke brigade tell me I am saying Maori words incorrectly and feel the need to 'educate' me. These are the people that cause divisions in society with their ideology that does not fit with how things actually work in the real world.

Ok, rant over I promise
    Last edited by mistaTea; 14-10-2021 at 05:13 PM.

This lack of update on the buildings, and OCA's lack of news regarding what their allocation of their bond is definitely making me seem like their could be something brewing.

Then again, I'm ok if the conspiracy dial is set to low.

If, and its a big IF, its got any merit, OCA will want to be getting out there with their growth plans given ARV just announced a pretty big acquisition.
    Last edited by jimdog31; 15-10-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Guru

https://www.oneroof.co.nz/news/mount...and-grab-40327

I mean, these two sh1t boxes sold for $4M!!!

Surely we are gonna come out of this campus sale happy??

Guru

https://www.oneroof.co.nz/news/mount...and-grab-40327

I mean, these two sh1t boxes sold for $4M!!!

Surely we are gonna come out of this campus sale happy??
    Even if we could only get $2000/sqm that should still be around $80M!

Surely we could at least get that, if not more?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    We should expect a 40c tax free special dividend next year from the property sale. Plus resumption of a small regular dividend.

A merger with Foxtel or a takeover from either Comcast or Discovery would be ideal after.

Most content deals are locked in for the next few years. New Satellite should be operational and Broadband should be generating a return. I'm not going to say that Sky is the most undervalued stock on the NZX/ASX but what I would say is that I don't see any additional "fundamental" risks in this business that would warrant this to trade at a significant discount. All businesses have risk, you just need to price it correctly.
    If they have $75M to distribute after the sale…

I think they should further reduce shares by another 25M.

So, roughly speaking, for every 7 shares held you cancel 1 and pay shareholders $3 for each cancelled share. IRD should give clearance for this capital return so no tax to be paid.

Shareholders can then look at the the SP afterwards and decide whether to buy more SKT or not.

I think this gives shareholders the most flexibility as opposed to an on market buyback program which can be a protracted process that is largely dependent on how the SP behaves (in terms of how any shares Sky end up buying back).

Legend

If they have $75M to distribute after the sale…

I think they should further reduce shares by another 25M.

So, roughly speaking, for every 7 shares held you cancel 1 and pay shareholders $3 for each cancelled share. IRD should give clearance for this capital return so no tax to be paid.

Shareholders can then look at the the SP afterwards and decide whether to buy more SKT or not.

I think this gives shareholders the most flexibility as opposed to an on market buyback program which can be a protracted process that is largely dependent on how the SP behaves (in terms of how any shares Sky end up buying back).
    $1.57 soon - are you suggesting ?

Fingers crossed for a dividend from the property sales and normal dividend to resume from next year, but judging by how cautious the Boards have been so far I'd probably not be surprised if they decide against it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jimdog31 View Post
    I think it is highly likely that the sale will go unconditional by the end of this week.

Just in time for the AGM.

So we won't be waiting long. I reckon the property sale is announced by Friday, and then we find out what version of Lolly Scramble we will be entitled to the following Thursday.