sharetrader
Page 397 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2973473873933943953963973983994004014074474978971397 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,970 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    That's assuming they are a new customer, not an existing customer moving house and part of the new house process is sky turns up and connects them - just like how getting power/gas/internet connected are the other first things you do when moving house. You just book all your services to be connected on the day that you move in
    Fair comment...though I don't think anyone should be expecting too much in the way of brand new satellite customers. Definitely a dying distribution model.

However it is a good anecdotal tale of an example of Sky's ability to retain existing customers.

Long term we want digital offerings to fully replace satellite...but satellite is the most profitable part of our business...so we want the churn to be low so we can have an evolution to streaming as opposed to a revolution.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Had a survey yesterday about sky, looks like they are looking at a new Box that will do satellite and streaming as well as recording up to 200 hours plus able to have your netflix, disney+ etc subscriptions/accounts added to it as well.
    All in one place - seems a good idea for about a one off price of $200 (for the box not the subs as well).
    Can you share more about this survey? It was from Sky NZ?

It is interesting if they are now looking at a new set top box (STB)... Before John Fellet left he had kicked off a major project to adopt Cisco's Infinite Video Platform. This STB would allow users to stream all sky content via broadband or satellite. It would be smart enough to switch between the broadband and satellite 'seamlessly' based on what would give the best quality picture (i.e. satellite default but if there was heaps of rain fade flick over to broadband kind of thing).

It would also have a very modern Netflix-style UI and allow you to access apps like Vodafone TV does. The Infinite Video Platform could even go a step further than Vodafone TV by allowing you to surface/aggregate all of the content from all of your subs into one User Interface. In other words, surface all of your Sky On Demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc content in one place without the need to launch each individual app and see what is on...

But soon after Martin came on board he scrapped that project as he believed the future was streaming apps - we didn't need the ongoing CAPEX of acquiring and maintaining a new set top box. STB's that are hooked up to satellite also typically need a tech to install...more cost...
    I thought the case to move away from STB's was compelling...even though STB's do still have some advantages over streaming apps.

Anyway, if there has been an about face and Sky are now looking at something similar again I would want to know why. From memory, when Infinite Video was cancelled mid-project we wrote off $30 or $40M. And that wasn't imaginary money like a Goodwill write off...that was actual cold hard cash down the toilet.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 14-08-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Got a new neighbour too moving in this morning and 3 vans arrived just before the mover's truck. And one of them is a SKY van. Take it as another info.

Mr Tea - I just got this survey as a sky subscriber and opted to joined a survey panel - skynation - may win one of 5 $100 sky credit! 2nd survey I have done

Asking what features would you like/useful/if it contained this that or the other - tick the boxes and at cost of about $200 or $19.99 for 12 months and which option would you choose. Mentioned that Apple TV costs $x and vodafone costs $Y - all more than the proposed offering -not knowing what was on the table under John F don't know how this compares, but as I said possible to add your nextflix app etc and I took it that there is one UI to find all content - could be wrong

Discl - I hold a few as in not many shares just to see what happens - only bought recently @ around 13 cents, if/when the sp increase due to to whatever I will probably wish I had 5 times more

Advanced Member

Guy's, stop it with all this good news. I'm trying to buy more!

The whole market down, Sky up.

Last chance to get on the train at mid 13s for those that missed out at mid 12s...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Mr Tea - I just got this survey as a sky subscriber and opted to joined a survey panel - skynation - may win one of 5 $100 sky credit! 2nd survey I have done

Asking what features would you like/useful/if it contained this that or the other - tick the boxes and at cost of about $200 or $19.99 for 12 months and which option would you choose. Mentioned that Apple TV costs $x and vodafone costs $Y - all more than the proposed offering -not knowing what was on the table under John F don't know how this compares, but as I said possible to add your nextflix app etc and I took it that there is one UI to find all content - could be wrong

Discl - I hold a few as in not many shares just to see what happens - only bought recently @ around 13 cents, if/when the sp increase due to to whatever I will probably wish I had 5 times more
    Remember 1 important question, when dealing with marketing surveys.
    Which company spends THEIR money, working out a way to charge YOU LESS?
    If you say XYZ feature is marvelous, guess which feature starts costing more in a few months ?
    Sorry to burst anyone's bubble on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantitative Easing View Post
    The whole market down, Sky up.

Last chance to get on the train at mid 13s for those that missed out at mid 12s...
    But Sharesies gang says Sky TV is closing it's doors soon......... I don't know who to trust anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Akane View Post
    But Sharesies gang says Sky TV is closing it's doors soon......... I don't know who to trust anymore
    Well they are not completely wrong. Sky wont exist as what we know it as today. It will (most probably) be part of a larger global media conglomerate. Sky (as a standalone company with no big backing) wont be here in 10 years. I believe sky is too valuable to let die. Understand the risk, odds are in our favour. DYOR. We could easily make 300%.

Advanced Member

Refer to my post #5981 on the NTL thread.