sharetrader
Page 145 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 45951351411421431441451461471481491551952456451145 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 14170

SKY movies losing the Disney Channel from 1 November 2019 which will disappoint a LOT of parents and their kids. Oh dear...things are grim.
    This email just arrived this morning.

We’re making a change to our Sky Movies line up! From 1 November Sky Movies Family will replace Sky Movies Disney. Look out for some great titles coming out on Sky Movies Family over the next three months including:
    Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
    The Lego Movie 2
    The Secret Life Of Pets 2
    Wonder Park
    We’re also bringing on board some classic family favourites including:
    Free Willy
    Richie Rich
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    With seven great movie channels to choose from, as well as our fantastic range of pop-up channels, there’s more opportunity to binge on some great films – watch out for the Halloween pop-up coming soon!

We hope you enjoy Sky Movies Family from Friday 1 November 2019.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-10-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dassets View Post
    Reality is sport will disintermediate as will other content. Big issue occurred a couple of years ago when a big us outfit said they moving into aust and I guess available NZ. Sky has a big outdoor broadcast team. Massive. The redundancy big and writeoffs will potentially wipe these guys out.
    Or will they get a knock on the door from Spark??

Quote Originally Posted by Dassets View Post
    Reality is sport will disintermediate as will other content. Big issue occurred a couple of years ago when a big us outfit said they moving into aust and I guess available NZ. Sky has a big outdoor broadcast team. Massive. The redundancy big and writeoffs will potentially wipe these guys out.
    write offs and redundancies and increase in leaving subscribers , the company is dear i say history due to bad previous management.
    one step ahead of the herd

This is really game over for SKY, I give them another 3-4 years MAX.

Content is king and they've utterly failed to adapt to a very dynamic market, with an absolute dinosaur at the helm for far too long, Board should have revolted a long time ago. D Handley doing too much futuring and not enough actual work.

The entertainment/film/premium drama market is absolutely saturated now with Disney+ and Apple TV+'s SVOD services entering the AU/NZ market in November, Netflix, and Spark's offering sucking out a lot of that content. HBO have a distribution deal in place with Sky currently but there is talk they will eventually launch their own SVOD service (HBO Now/Go), in AU/NZ which will mean they'll pull out of the Sky deal and Sky will lose all their premium drama from their Soho channel.

Re Sport, Premium Sport will always be a massive pull factor for Sky, and as Spark chip away at their rights portfolio, I can only see bad news in this area. Spark's SVOD costbase will be cheaper than Sky's and they have a very profitable Telco business so Spark Sport is really just an after thought albeit a high profile one.

I think the saving grace for Sky is that they have an absolutely entrenched position in the production side of Sports Broadcasting and for Spark to develop these capabilities is a significant investment they will be unwilling to take on I'd say - so not sure how that will go down.

Ultimately as plenty of others have mentioned Sky have been a victim of their own demise and I just feel bad for the Mum + Dad shareholders who may have lost out because of a greedy and quite terrible Board and management. A very slow moving train wreck but a wreck nonetheless.

Advanced Member

fwiw I'd be happy if all sport goes to Spark Sports. After nearly 30 years of a Sky customer I'm now "only" a Sky Sports Now subscriber and the quality through Spark Sports is way better than through Sky Sports Now.

Quote Originally Posted by levin123 View Post

Content is king and they've utterly failed to adapt to a very dynamic market, with an absolute dinosaur at the helm for far too long, Board should have revolted a long time ago. D Handley doing too much futuring and not enough actual work.

The entertainment/film/premium drama market is absolutely saturated now with Disney+ and Apple TV+'s SVOD services entering the AU/NZ market in November, Netflix, and Spark's offering sucking out a lot of that content. HBO have a distribution deal in place with Sky currently but there is talk they will eventually launch their own SVOD service (HBO Now/Go), in AU/NZ which will mean they'll pull out of the Sky deal and Sky will lose all their premium drama from their Soho channel.

Re Sport, Premium Sport will always be a massive pull factor for Sky, and as Spark chip away at their rights portfolio, I can only see bad news in this area. Spark's SVOD costbase will be cheaper than Sky's and they have a very profitable Telco business so Spark Sport is really just an after thought albeit a high profile one.

I think the saving grace for Sky is that they have an absolutely entrenched position in the production side of Sports Broadcasting and for Spark to develop these capabilities is a significant investment they will be unwilling to take on I'd say - so not sure how that will go down.

Ultimately as plenty of others have mentioned Sky have been a victim of their own demise and I just feel bad for the Mum + Dad shareholders who may have lost out because of a greedy and quite terrible Board and management. A very slow moving train wreck but a wreck nonetheless.
    no simpathy from this past subscriber to corporate greed
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Only reason I stay with my SKY subscription is watching CNBC for international business. Sport is vastly overrated as a form of entertainment in my opinion.
    Oh dear oh dear ...that’s sad

Watching those cheerleaders not good for you ...not even entertainment
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by levin123 View Post

Hit the nail on the head.

Sky used to be "the home of sports" that is clearly no longer the case. There's zero reason to watch any of their other stuff and all that content (if it's worth anything) will be on its own SVOD platform very soon. Sky is going to be left with absolutely nothing.

Everyone talks about Fellet but what has the board done? Absolutely f all.

Edit: Sky response https://www.nzx.com/announcements/342436
    Last edited by Entrep; 10-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Not all us watch or care about rugby/cricket, I too jumped on the cable cutting bandwagon last year and cancelled Sky and just went with Netflix and Youtube Premium, however I found myself missing all the channels I use to watch on Sky like ESPN, Discovery, CNBC, MTV, TLC, Fox, Comedy Central, plus a few others.. so I just re-subscribed and got all that again for under $100 a month which is still a good deal relevant to the hours of entertainment/information i'll get.

The only thing I didn't get again was the movies package as I'll use Netflix for that, but other than Movies and potentially sport into the future, Sky is still the place for Kiwi's to get a lot more quality content, especially the baby boomers who will be watching a lot of TV as somebody else here mentioned, also most business/hotel contracts will continue. Streamers will continue to grow and have stolen market share no doubt and Sky has deserved to be re-priced downwards in recent years, but it's overdone imo and the streamers won't own 100% of the kiwi TV content market, so there will still be a place for SKY entertainment for many many more years into the future imo.

For the penny pinchers out there I understand it still looks overvalued vs cheap streaming services who will be increasing their prices over the coming years anyway, and for sports fanatics just using Sky for rugby/cricket I understand spark could be looking better into the future but at the end of the day I look what I spend on an average lunch/dinner out and then think what's an extra $100 per month for way more quality content choice compared to the limited library of dated content on streamers and low quality of youtube content.

I'm long SKT and picked up a few more shares today, excellent valuation here imo.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiBuffett View Post
    Not all us watch or care about rugby/cricket, I too jumped on the cable cutting bandwagon last year and cancelled Sky and just went with Netflix and Youtube Premium, however I found myself missing all the channels I use to watch on Sky like ESPN, Discovery, CNBC, MTV, TLC, Fox, Comedy Central, plus a few others.. so I just re-subscribed and got all that again for under $100 a month which is still a good deal relevant to the hours of entertainment/information i'll get. .
    https://i.imgur.com/f7FdEdG.jpg