sharetrader
Page 130 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 30801201261271281291301311321331341401802306301130 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 14170
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
    So, what do you mean by "bits and pieces". They cannot sell spectrum rights without screwing their own customers, if they can on-sell at all. Can they on-sell programming rights? I doubt it - I would think that all they can do is let them expire. Do they own property in downtown Auckland? If so, that is definitely a candidate. Transmission towers and sites perhaps but they would need a lease-back. What else could they sell? I am open to being illumined since I do not pretend to be knowledgeable about this sector.
    Sorry, I meant shareholders selling bits and pieces of their shares.

Sky is a June balance date right?

I called sky wanting to cancel because I wanted to change to fanpass, just for sports.

They offered me sky sports for the next 3months for free, with no conditions. I'm only on the starter plan which is like $25 per month.

Smells of Desperation to keep the subscriber numbers up for year end???

Quote Originally Posted by brend View Post

I called sky wanting to cancel because I wanted to change to fanpass, just for sports.

They offered me sky sports for the next 3months for free, with no conditions. I'm only on the starter plan which is like $25 per month.

Considering the Cricket World Cup is on this coming month that's a bit of a worry.

I do think Martin Stewart knows what he is doing though, so let's wait and see

Guru

No doubt there will be pressure to keep the subscriptions up for the next reporting season.
    Especially since the last season of Game of Thrones was only 6 episodes...and has finished before the magic June 30 date. Each year they would get a flood of NEON subscriptions for GOT, and then the majority of those subscribers would drop off soon after, but that would usually only be picked up in the next round of reporting.

Personally, I am not sure why people dip in and out of NEON like that as I think $11.99 a month is great value for the Box Sets ($20 if you want to throw in movies too).

I imagine they have offered you 3 months of free Sky Sport in the hope that you will stay on with your existing package after the free period ends (and therefore pay more over time). Their New Business offers are very aggressive with the freebies right now too.

Personally I think they should have just let you go to FANPASS since that platform is clearly going to play a massive role in their future.

If they want to keep satellite as a viable option for the masses, they need to drop (or significantly reduce) the MySky fee. That is, in my view, a significant hurdle.

Even if you just want Sport...the normal price for a satellite subscriber is (approx) $25 Starter + $30 Sport + $15 MySky = $70/month. Absolutely ridiculous.

Especially when you consider that each Set Top Box probably only costs Sky around $200 or so...and is written off the books over 4 years. How can charging $180 a year to rent the box make any kind of sense? I understand that old 'Monopoly Sky' was able to get away with this, but things are so different now.

As I have said before the 2 "starter" options should be $25 combined as most you can get "free" from Freeview.
    I actually "bought" my MySky some years ago, have had it replaced a couple of times due to faults, and they also upgraded it to the HD version when I asked for it for no extra.
    So probably in the 2 years or so it has turned "free" rather than paying the monthly rental on it and now giving you HD free my sub went down!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    So probably in the 2 years or so it has turned "free" rather than paying the monthly rental on it and now giving you HD free my sub went down!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you were to ever cancel your subscription you still need to return the decoder.

No doubt the option you used to "buy" the decoder (which I don't think is even an option anymore) is cheaper than paying the monthly rental after you have been a customer for a certain period of time - you don't actually own it.

Vodafone TV do not charge a set top box fee. With prolific OTT competition, if your business model still relies on a STB my view is that you need to treat it as the cost of doing business nowadays.

And I agree that, at least on the surface, charging $25 entry for 'Starter' is a bit cheeky given the majority of the channels offered are Freeview.

And remember, the entry is effectively $40 now in reality.
    The vast majority of people in this day and age would expect the ability to record and watch later on demand as stock standard functionality. So just getting Starter + My Sky is gonna sting you $40 before you have even added any of the channels that you actually want.

Significant changes are needed, and I do believe that Martin Stewart is the man to do it.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 31-05-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: grammar fix

Advanced Member

And there it is again mistaTea. Regular loyal subscribers get stung with an inflated price. And unloyal subsribers are rewarded.
    I've commented on this previously. I've been streaming from SPARK Sport. Other than a few teething problems...and of course lack of content....it's been pretty good. F1 especially. Bring it on !

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    And there it is again mistaTea. Regular loyal subscribers get stung with an inflated price. And unloyal subsribers are rewarded.
    I've commented on this previously. I've been streaming from SPARK Sport. Other than a few teething problems...and of course lack of content....it's been pretty good. F1 especially. Bring it on !
    Yeah, I am optimistic that they will get their pricing right. They have to, and the new boss isn’t saddled with the baggage of previous years and previous decisions.

Rather than offering Sky Sport free for 1 month and 3 months of free MySky to entice people...how about just get your damn pricing right so that you are competitive in the first place and people want to subscribe to your services? You shouldn’t have to offer these massive bribes to get people in the door...and then hold them hostage for 12 months by locking them into a contract.

At the end of the day, I would much rather have 1 million subscribers paying an average of $55 a month than 750,000 subscribers paying an average of $75 a month - even though revenue would be slightly lower. And the market would be much more optimistic about Sky too.

And if you gave people Starter + Soho + Sport for $55 all in, I think you would have no trouble getting (and keeping) subscribers. Delighted customers may even be prepared to add movies for another tenner. The customer wins, we win.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Yeah, I am optimistic that they will get their pricing right. They have to, and the new boss isn’t saddled with the baggage of previous years and previous decisions.

Rather than offering Sky Sport free for 1 month and 3 months of free MySky to entice people...how about just get your damn pricing right so that you are competitive in the first place and people want to subscribe to your services? You shouldn’t have to offer these massive bribes to get people in the door...and then hold them hostage for 12 months by locking them into a contract.

At the end of the day, I would much rather have 1 million subscribers paying an average of $55 a month than 750,000 subscribers paying an average of $75 a month - even though revenue would be slightly lower. And the market would be much more optimistic about Sky too.

And if you gave people Starter + Soho + Sport for $55 all in, I think you would have no trouble getting (and keeping) subscribers. Delighted customers may even be prepared to add movies for another tenner. The customer wins, we win.
    I think the new boss gets it (refreshing), but it is more the point whether Sky can revert to a now more accepted media consumption/price model, and delivery model, quickly enough to leverage their still impressive although greatly diminished customer base, while not compromising the long tail and revenue from ignorant customers who will persevere with outdated technologies and limited viewing choices as a consequence.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I think the new boss gets it (refreshing), but it is more the point whether Sky can revert to a now more accepted media consumption/price model, and delivery model, quickly enough to leverage their still impressive although greatly diminished customer base, while not compromising the long tail and revenue from ignorant customers who will persevere with outdated technologies and limited viewing choices as a consequence.
    These dam customers ! The bane of every business !!!