sharetrader
Page 98 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798991001011021081481985981098 ... LastLast
    Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by errornz View Post
    Anyone else see Sky as the NZ version of Blockbuster? Its only a matter of time before another company creates a better/cheaper IPTV model and wins the sport broadcasting contract.
    The old sport chestnut is the only thing in contention here...without sport Sky will struggle to survive....in fact it would be rather a quick death....

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    What is there to like about it? It is essentially Freeview (Emphasis on free) for $25. If subscribers dont know this then they are vulnerable. How do shareholders feel about ripping off vulnerable people?
    Freeview + E (for the Mrs), cartoons (kids) and Comedy Central (me). The STB is better than anything else I've found too, having recently left SKY and trying to get Freeview running on my older TV.
    Last edited by Entrep; 02-03-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Freeview + E (for the Mrs), cartoons (kids) and Comedy Central (me). The STB is better than anything else I've found too, having recently left SKY and trying to get Freeview running on my older TV.
    So why dont they sell a starter pack of E, Comedy Central, Cartoons and the other non Freeeview stuff. As for the Set Top Box, connecting a Freeview STB should not be an issue connecting it a TV. The TV is just a receiver of whatever the STB sends it. Cold be Freeview, Could be Sky, could be chromecast.

So why dont they sell a starter pack of E, Comedy Central, Cartoons and the other non Freeeview stuff. As for the Set Top Box, connecting a Freeview STB should not be an issue connecting it a TV. The TV is just a receiver of whatever the STB sends it. Cold be Freeview, Could be Sky, could be chromecast.
    Or it could be Kodi running on a Raspberry Pi, giving you access to a whole wealth of streaming: BBC iPlayer, ITV, etc, etc.

Sky's upstream content supply contracts are rather prohibitive. They also contain clauses that force Sky to pursue legal action against infringements or the supply contracts can be invalidated. Unfortunately the upstream content industry also has a lot of hard lessons to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    Lucky they got a "young" "tech savvy" director on the board. they surely have the guidance and leadership to realise how disrupted their current model is.
    I can hear Mr H drilling holes in the boat as we speak......

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I can hear Mr H drilling holes in the boat as we speak......
    That implies he's removed his lips from the teat. Which I think unlikely.

That implies he's removed his lips from the teat. Which I think unlikely.
    LMAO! I stand corrected!

Perhaps what this does is delay the inevitable, which will mean this one will slowly bleed out.

The cash generating potential and the relatively strong balance sheet is what keeps it afloat for the moment. However, monopolistic behaviours in a competitive market will not win you any new fans. You can't carry out your affairs like its 2005.

Banned

Like many of the older (over 35) generation we, and my partner especially, don't wish to have to mess around with streaming smartphones and casting to google every time we want to watch a programme. Instead we are more than happy to very easily record programmes to SKY's HD and watch at our leisure. No technical degree required - just a few button presses.

So just for balance, not everyone hates SKY. (and I'm not a holder except via ETFs).

Just a great pity that it wasn't allowed to amalgamate with VOD and become a proper modern commercial Kiwi media company.