sharetrader
Page 101 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 51919798991001011021031041051111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 14170

I've been thinking. I wonder if you could, say stream something. Like maybe cricket. Perhaps a few tests from a couple of big nations. I dont know, maybe charge say $25 for three tests. Thats less than $10 for maybe 5 days sports entertainment. Nah. That will never work. Crawls back under rock for a further snooze.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I've been thinking. I wonder if you could, say stream something. Like maybe cricket. Perhaps a few tests from a couple of big nations. I dont know, maybe charge say $25 for three tests. Thats less than $10 for maybe 5 days sports entertainment. Nah. That will never work. Crawls back under rock for a further snooze.
    What do sky currently pay for the rights to screen the matches? Regardless of whether these are screen directly or via a third party (Sky, domestic TV, Netflix, Lightbox etc.), NZ Cricket would want the same revenue stream (or more) that they were enjoying from the major broadcasters, so over time we could see reasonably similar pricing emerge over time.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 09-03-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    I have just gone back to sky after a few years away. Got a bit tired of trying to hunt down feeds on Kodi for my Rugby League. (yes unfortunately I'm a Warriors tragic) and have just enjoyed the Winter Olympics too.
    Sky is easy to use and as Iong as I
    do some OT at work to pay for it I will probably keep it until the something better comes along.
    The big issue for us is how many third party services we end up subscribing to in order to gain access to what we want to watch. We have Netlfix, Lightbox, and have had HBO and Hulu simultaneously in the past. That quickly adds up in terms of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    The big issue for us is how many third party services we end up subscribing to in order to gain access to what we want to watch. We have Netlfix, Lightbox, and have had HBO and Hulu simultaneously in the past. That quickly adds up in terms of cost.
    But if you have specific tastes it allows you to be more selective. As mentioned earlier I have lightbox (free), netflix and amazon prime for a total cost of like $19/month.
    The ONLY sport I want to watch is (V8) supercars. I would happily pay $15/ month for the privilege, which I think is generous considering what I'm getting on the other platforms for similar money. I refuse to pay $80-100 for sky to watch one round per fortnight, and surely the V8supercars owners aren't being paid $15 per viewer by sky currently. Fan pass was a perfect idea until they removed the shorter term subscriptions, and hiked the price. Not to mention they didn't have pop up channels on there so I couldn't watch Supercars anyway.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    It not quite the first step. I already have to fork out about 150 per annum to watch the premier league on sky. I dont object to paying, it the fact you also have to have sky that peeves me off

Also just spent 145 US for a seasons MLB.TV (Major league baseball) but am really happy with their model, top quality and nothing to do with NZ

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    But if you have specific tastes it allows you to be more selective. As mentioned earlier I have lightbox (free), netflix and amazon prime for a total cost of like $19/month.
    The ONLY sport I want to watch is (V8) supercars. I would happily pay $15/ month for the privilege, which I think is generous considering what I'm getting on the other platforms for similar money. I refuse to pay $80-100 for sky to watch one round per fortnight, and surely the V8supercars owners aren't being paid $15 per viewer by sky currently. Fan pass was a perfect idea until they removed the shorter term subscriptions, and hiked the price. Not to mention they didn't have pop up channels on there so I couldn't watch Supercars anyway.
    That's a fair comment, but here's a few things to consider:
    1. Based on the pricing you've outlined above, your Amazon Prime membership appears to be the special $2.99/month intro offer, so we should probably talk about the normal full price which is $6/month.
    2. Your Light box sub isn't really free, it's just bundled into a larger broadband fee, so that's another $13/month - remember, you could subscribe to an ISP like Bigpipe and get unlimited cap and 100/20 service for $20-$50/month less (dependant upon which plan you are on with your existing ISP)

So for Amazon Prime + Lightbox + Netflix you're really spending $34/month + the extra fees associated with your broadband cap. Let's say you're having to spend another $20 to obtain a higher cap, so now you're up to $54/month. So the savings aren't quite what they appear to be.

My take on Netflix is that although the back-catalogue of older content is large, we (and most of our friends) have seen a large proportion of that over the last 15+ years elsewhere, so it's the new exclusive content that we're interested in. Of that there's a few worth watching but there are a lot of very average shows in the catalogue. Hence why we end up with sub's to multiple services and we're back approaching SkyTV costs.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 09-03-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Handsome Member

1. Based on the pricing you've outlined above, your Amazon Prime membership appears to be the special $2.99/month intro offer, so we should probably talk about the normal full price which is $6/month.
    2. Your Light box sub isn't really free, it's just bundled into a larger broadband fee, so that's another $13/month - remember, you could subscribe to an ISP like Bigpipe and get unlimited cap and 100/20 service for $20-$50/month less (dependant upon which plan you are on with your existing ISP)

So for Amazon Prime + Lightbox + Netflix you're really spending $34/month + the extra fees associated with your broadband cap. Let's say you're having to spend another $20 to obtain a higher cap, so now you're up to $54/month. So the savings aren't quite what they appear to be.

My take on Netflix is that although the back-catalogue of older content is large, we (and most of our friends) have seen a large proportion of that over the last 15+ years elsewhere, so it's the new exclusive content that we're interested in. Of that there's a few worth watching but there are a lot of very average shows in the catalogue. Hence why we end up with sub's to multiple services and we're back approaching SkyTV costs.
    Very nicely put mate, I fork out every month for Sky and some other streaming platforms....to be honest the best content is still on Sky, I may not like the price but it is still a great option for me to get series, movies, sport and on demand. It is also by far the only one that is reliable enough to get local sport to viewers. Sky just needs to get the Streaming services up to scratch imo.

Yeah i get your point but light box IS free as spark matched the much lower price of a competitor i was looking at switching too and we were already only unlimited data before we started all the streaming services, so no extra cost associated there. For most people your points would probably stand, but for us we're way better off without sky

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=12009751

another possible competitor for sky tv
    one step ahead of the herd