sharetrader
Page 1033 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 335339339831023102910301031103210331034103510361037104310831133 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,330 of 14174

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I note there is one optimistic seller offering 8,000 shares for $6.50 a pop.
    They know what they're doing.

Guru

Important insights from The Big Man in the 2018 Annual Letter.

The content wars
    Every now and then you will read a storyabout a piece of content we have lost bybeing out-bid by a competitor. Such storiesusually include an interview with a media
    or technology expert (who, by the way, hasnever bought a piece of content in their life)predicting that this marks the start of SKY’sdecline or maybe we have badly misjudgedthe public interest in this particular piece

of content.
    The fact is, we get out-bid for content everyyear. In fact, if there is a year that goes bywithout an article regarding SKY losing acontent deal you should attend the AGM
    to voice your concern.
    In thinking about content it is important thatone understands the difference betweenPrice and Value. Price is the amount you payfor something but Value is what you get withthat piece of content. The easiest thing todo is win content auctions. All you need todo is keep bidding until everyone else dropsout. But you don’t actually “win” the bid untilyou extract enough value to cover yourcosts. There are several contracts we havelost over the years, but seldom has the samecompany come back the next time and bidthe same amount.
    We could double every one of our bids andnever lose anything, but before long wewould have half the content with the samecontent costs.
    The biggest advantage we have in biddingis our 28 year history of viewing statistics.When we lose bids they tend to be highprofile events which for whatever reasonhave lost their way. The Oscars are a perfectexample. As I write this, SKY has beeninformed that we were not the highestbidder for the Oscars in 2019. The Oscarsare one of my favourite shows of the year,in part because I am in the industry. But forreasons I am not sure about, and in spite ofour best efforts, we have seen the ratingsdecline four years in a row. I am not surewho won the bid. I am not sure their bidwould have been as high if they had thebenefit of our data and content insights.
    The other advantage we have is the breadthof our content offerings. At any one timeSKY has 4,500 programmes on the gocontained in 3,000 different contracts.

The biggest one is a sport contract,
    but it still only represents 23% of totalsport viewing (which is represented by791 different contracts), and less than 6%of overall viewing on SKY. And that is aftertaking out all the free-to-air viewing onthe platform.

When our competitors pay above the valueon some content it means that they haveto bid under the value on other content.
    In every country the debate always rageson which platforms have the best content.In New Zealand there is seldom any debatearound Movies, Sport and Basic Channelswhich SKY dominates. Lately I have heardthe claims by competitors that they havethe best TV series, but I disagree. Don’t takemy word for it. The Emmy nominations arein for 2018. SKY has the majority of thenominated shows, with over 200nominations across 59 titles.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Not The Chosen One View Post
    They know what they're doing.
    haha, classic.
    Sidenote: this thread is weird.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    haha, classic.
    Sidenote: this thread is weird.

SP is moving to the "Real" -- can't knock that

Even at $10, I don't know if sky will make me enough to even maintain that place!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Even at $10, I don't know if sky will make me enough to even maintain that place!
    May need a large win in Mega Millions or American Powerball to pay the upkeep

SKT stock pick for 2021 and 2022. This company will mint new millionaires.

Nice little run up with very small supply on sell side.
    What ashame it was just before the weekend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    When our competitors pay above the valueon some content it means that they haveto bid under the value on other content.
    In every country the debate always rageson which platforms have the best content.In New Zealand there is seldom any debatearound Movies, Sport and Basic Channelswhich SKY dominates. Lately I have heardthe claims by competitors that they havethe best TV series, but I disagree. Don’t takemy word for it. The Emmy nominations arein for 2018. SKY has the majority of thenominated shows, with over 200nominations across 59 titles.
    The Emmy Awards are naturally slewed to American shows. While NZ tastes have become more Americanised over the decades, we also like home produced entertainment alongside good doses of British and Australian programming. So Bafta and Logie Awards are relevant for us too?

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Nice little run up with very small supply on sell side.
    What ashame it was just before the weekend.
    Its still in the last weeks or before's range 20.5 cents to 22 cents ...just decimals shifted . Nothing big changed ....Only over $ 2.20 will real action begin ...waiting to see that mini breakout ...Maybe this thread people will help ...actually need OSM people to do some serious buying till $ 2.5 levels and shift the range to $2.3 to $2.5 ....they will do that only if they stopped getting stock in this range ....So hold all selling