sharetrader
Page 1056 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 5655695610061046105210531054105510561057105810591060106611061156 ... LastLast
Results 10,551 to 10,560 of 14173
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I think the hybrid capability of the new STB will be very good, as it enables existing subs with poor internet to carry on as usual...but also provides a better On Demand streaming experience for the vast majority who have access to great internet.

I also hope that the new STB is capable of performing as a straight IP Box too though...for those who do not need or want satellite.

With Vodafone TV, you can just buy it...plug it in, go online to subscribe to the packages you want and you are away laughing. No need for a technician to come out to get you set up and potentially install a satellite dish on your house that you might not even want. If the box can also operate as a straight IP box I think it will make it easier for Sky to grow their STB cusotmer base.
    And customers have options...they can absolutely get a satellite connection if they want so they can enjoy truly 'live' sport as well as the reliability that comes with satellite. Or they can not take that option and just stream Sky TV like they do for all of the other content they provide.

Which then brings us back to Sky Glass being an interesting idea, that should at least be explored. If Sophie and the team don't believe it will be very popular in NZ and/or the terms of trade are unfavourable then we take a pass. But it could also be a great product that helps Sky on their quest to be in every single living room on any type of platform...

We won't know unless we at least take a look...
    I absolutely hope and expect that the new STB can operate as an IP only device! Sky should be discouraging new satellite installs in any area that has good broadband - it is so much cheaper for an “installation” if sky doesn’t have to provide a dish and the installer to do it. Plus they should be up-selling skyBroadband along with the new STB. Should be able to create some fantastic bundles, even to those not using the typical skybox subscription.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    I absolutely hope and expect that the new STB can operate as an IP only device! Sky should be discouraging new satellite installs in any area that has good broadband - it is so much cheaper for an “installation” if sky doesn’t have to provide a dish and the installer to do it. Plus they should be up-selling skyBroadband along with the new STB. Should be able to create some fantastic bundles, even to those not using the typical skybox subscription.
    Yes I hope so too. They haven't said anything about it being IP only...everything has focussed on the hybrid nature of the box.

It would be a fail if it has to be used as a hybrid. It would significantly retard the growth prospects for STB customers. And, as you say, setting up satellite customers is expensive.

For new customers in new development suburbs in particular (that all have fibre)...rather than paying $200+ a pop to have a techie go out and set up the box, install a dish etc...I would be inclined to offer the STB for free to cusotmers who sign up for a Sky TV package + Sky Broadband for 12 months. Sky still incur the $200 cost (which is probably how much each STB costs them, if that...) but the customer gets a great deal and is much more likely to stick around in years to come.

If they have Starter + Entertainment + Sport + 100Mbs Broadband it would only cost them $152.48/month ($5/day for broadband and a wide range of entertainment on a modern STB aint bad).

Advanced Member

I am yet to be convinced that the picture quality via the internet is as consistently good as that delivered by satellite.
    It’s a hard thing to quantitate tho. Especially as in general I can’t swap to and fro.
    I think Mr T might have said the same thing…more or less ….recently.

It seems a shame to have these great Panels and then not feed them appropriately.
    Having said that…most of what we watch is via internet, as we have not had Satelite Sky for a while.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I am yet to be convinced that the picture quality via the internet is as consistently good as that delivered by satellite.
    It’s a hard thing to quantitate tho. Especially as in general I can’t swap to and fro.
    I think Mr T might have said the same thing…more or less ….recently.

It seems a shame to have these great Panels and then not feed them appropriately.
    Having said that…most of what we watch is via internet, as we have not had Satelite Sky for a while.
    I think the picture quality is only noticeably better for live sport when you get it via satellite. Streaming on Sky Sport NOW still gives good HD quality...but, if you are watching a game of rugby as an example, you find the ball doesn't track quite as smoothly as it does via satellite.

For general On Demand entertainment, I don't think satellite has any advantage. In fact, this STB will support 4K so people with UHD TV's will get better picture quality than MySky can offer (for content that supports 4K).

I think the new satelite will support 4k but that is only scheduled to launch in 2023 if memory serves.

Advanced Member

I think the picture quality is only noticeably better for live sport when you get it via satellite. Streaming on Sky Sport NOW still gives good HD quality...but, if you are watching a game of rugby as an example, you find the ball doesn't track quite as smoothly as it does via satellite.

For general On Demand entertainment, I don't think satellite has any advantage. In fact, this STB will support 4K so people with UHD TV's will get better picture quality than MySky can offer (for content that supports 4K).

I think the new satelite will support 4k but that is only scheduled to launch in 2023 if memory serves.
    Yes….it’s the sport where I noticed it to. Mostly. Even with SKY Sport Go, some things are good… ( I was surprised how good the USA tennis was) but other things are poor. Motion quite uneven…to the point of being hard to watch, tiring on the eyes.. I guess there is a lot of technology between the viewer and the event, and it might not all be of the same quality. Eg New York to Kerikeri…might be all great. Townsville to KK….well…it wasn’t as good, that’s for sure.

Advanced Member

Quality depends on the streaming service and bandwidth. SkySportNow is noticeably “not great”, but that should improve over time. However watching 4k films from Disney+ is glorious over the internet and is far better than what one can hope to get via satellite.

do you have fibre? I'd be surprised if internet on fibre is not as good as satellite...perhaps 5G is the answer

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    do you have fibre? I'd be surprised if internet on fibre is not as good as satellite...perhaps 5G is the answer
    Yes I have fibre.

Guru

Quality depends on the streaming service and bandwidth. SkySportNow is noticeably “not great”, but that should improve over time. However watching 4k films from Disney+ is glorious over the internet and is far better than what one can hope to get via satellite.
    It’s not a ‘platform issue’. It is the mechanics of distributing a live event over the internet vs satellite.

Satellite still provides the better quality picture for live sport.

That is not the case for other OnDemand content you point to (like Disney).

Advanced Member

It’s not a ‘platform issue’. It is the mechanics of distributing a live event over the internet vs satellite.

Satellite still provides the better quality picture for live sport.

That is not the case for other OnDemand content you point to (like Disney).
    not sure about that - I watch NBA live streaming via the NBA app and that quality is excellent. Isn’t it true that sky’s live broadcast trucks (which they sold) were far below the state of the art?