sharetrader
Page 11 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521611115111011 ... LastLast
    Guru

Sky and our local channels have to compete with the likes of this popular global internet TV freebie..... http://projectfree.tv/

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    Growth opportunities for SKT are, in my opinion, probably modest going forward. But for those looking to invest for dividend income they are probably still a good buy. Sure there is a lot of stuff available online now. But not everybody watches TV in that way. Really, who wants to watch a movie (apart from kids) on an itsy bitsy smartphone or tablet screen? I know I don't. Internet TV is obviously the way of the future, but come on, you think SkyTV can't operate in that space?
    I just hook the laptop up to the tv , change will come quickly imo , bandwidth not a problem with higher data limits and speeds. sky subscriptions must be reaching saturation point , maybe a lift when the digital switchover happens but thats it

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    I just hook the laptop up to the tv , change will come quickly imo , bandwidth not a problem with higher data limits and speeds. sky subscriptions must be reaching saturation point , maybe a lift when the digital switchover happens but thats it
    Agree. And with the Fibre to the door, bandwidth (in NZ atleast) will no longer be an issue.

The key for sky is retaining its exclusive rights to content in NZ. Once they lose that, or a Regulator makes them onsell, then their dominance will end.

If telecom could get that content and stream it to their own box (eg. how Telstraclear does in Wellington), then that would be a deal changer. Telecom must be wondering how to get that content.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

percy

[QUOTE=CJ;395918].

The key for sky is retaining its exclusive rights to content in NZ. Once they lose that, or a Regulator makes them onsell, then their dominance will end.

I agree it is all about content.

My home network fully integrated, i.e. TV is connected to network through both playstation, xbox, apple tv, which in turn are connected to our stereos, pc's and macs around the house. The family can watch and move any content between almost any device.

We have just upgraded to fibre with Orcon on 100Mb connection all you can eat, however if we choose to buy a movie over apple tv and not go to the store, its still a 4gb file to download, and it still takes 15-30mins to download. Orcon still has to access overseas bandwidth to download my content, which is the constraint. The benefit of fibre is that Sky may not be showing the movie I want (unlikely but a possibility). With My Sky you can watch what you want when you want. Sky owns the content, sure, but they own the distribution too, they have invested well in that capability like Telstra has in Wellington, as CJ mentioned.

Telecom is no longer in that position as they don't own Chorus anymore. I doubt the comcom will find anything to pin against SKT, and the status quo will hold. iSky is also very competitive compared to apple TV etc, and Sky have continued to adapt to different forms of media.

The news corp exit will provide good liquidity in the shares going forward, while growth is slowing, the gross yield is looking really attractive at 10%+ below $5.
    Last edited by Silverlight; 04-03-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

Veteran novice

[QUOTE=percy;395923]
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post

I agree it is all about content.
    But how "exclusive" are their rights? I seem to recall Sky bidding against TVNZ for various sporting events and not winning them all.

However, I've taken a few off Rupert's hands today at $4.80, cum the 12c dividend.

I have also taken a chunk from the sell down. May not be forever, but at the moment and medium term, still nothing beats My Sky+ HDI. Good yield and growth not over yet IMHO. Not a huge discount but also cum the 12c dividend. Sometimes I need a bit of a nudge to get into a stock and this was it.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    I have also taken a chunk from the sell down. May not be forever, but at the moment and medium term, still nothing beats My Sky+ HDI. Good yield and growth not over yet IMHO. Not a huge discount but also cum the 12c dividend. Sometimes I need a bit of a nudge to get into a stock and this was it.
    I noticed from the commentary in the interim report that over 51.2% of subscribers have my sky for which the churm rate is a lot lower.So they are still growing earnings from existing subscribers.

I thought it was on a trading halt? Or did you buy yesterday?
    Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post

Will be interesting to see if the Fairfax holding is sold at a discount to SP...thats a lot of shares to unload..surely should drive price down..one would think.