sharetrader
    Advanced Member

What a week! Now lets get the property sale announced tomorrow and get the trifecta!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    Another competitor out of the way, gotta be good for SKY.
    Competitor in the sense that Sky would only collect wholesale rates for VTV Sky TV channel subs...so it did compete with MYSKY.

But really they were a business partner. An attempt at offering a streaming only box...because every arm chair commentator says satellite is dead etc etc.

Well, actually...VTV never got large numbers...and there were many cases where people switched from Sky to VTV only to regret it and resubscribe to MySky.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Competitor in the sense that Sky would only collect wholesale rates for VTV Sky TV channel subs...so it did compete with MYSKY.

But really they were a business partner. An attempt at offering a streaming only box...because every arm chair commentator says satellite is dead etc etc.

Well, actually...VTV never got large numbers...and there were many cases where people switched from Sky to VTV only to regret it and resubscribe to MySky.
    100,000 seems like a large number to me…

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    100,000 seems like a large number to me…
    Not really.

100K total boxes sold or gifted as part of a broadband bundle...but only a small fraction subscribed to Sky channels (which would enable Vodafone to clip the ticket ongoing)
    Last edited by mistaTea; 09-12-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Not really.

100K total boxes sold...but only a small fraction subscribed to Sky channels (which would enable Vodafone to clip the ticket ongoing)
    And when you consider that old school MYSKY still has 500K+ subs...it is pretty p1ss poor that the 'new generation' TV experience could not even get 1 fifth of Sky's numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Shareguy View Post
    Well I’m still holding and showing a large profit as entered after CR. Think much more upside to come, especially with property sale.
    Good feeling having a double bagger (well almost) …..and maybe soon a triple bagger
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    .and maybe soon a triple bagger
    Don't TEASE me like that!

Banned

The SKY thread theme tune has gone from "Tragedy" to "Good Vibrations" in just three days!

Seriously, great news all round and congrats to those, including Ogg, who stayed the course and reaped the rewards. Tempting to get out whilst the going is good, but I'll stick around, as continued buying is indicative that most people and insets think there's more good news coming.

And although the Sky board haven't made life easy over the years - and could have done a much better job in managing the transition - they do seem to have turned the corner and, begrudgingly, I have to give them credit for that. Just don't stuff it up or we'll bring back Ogg to haunt you!

Guru

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/384426

VTV 'retransmission' subs to be classified as STB customers after they are migrated to Sky.

So we will actually see a drop in retrospective ARPU for both streaming and STB (though total revenue unchanged).

Moving forward though, we will get more revenue from each sub as we no longer have to pay Vodafone a commission.

Good for Sky...and the removal of VTV helps further cement Sky's proposition of being the preferred platform to use for content aggregation needs.

Plus there will be other OPEX costs Sky elimintate from their systems from having to support the feed to the VTV box etc.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    Another competitor out of the way, gotta be good for SKY.
    So it appears to me that most people who bought when the share was under $2 held on to it instead of cashing in for a quick profit, else the upward momentum would probably have slowed by now.
    I'm personally more than happy to wait till after the property sales and the return of dividend before making my next move.
    Don’t suppose Vodafone will need VTV once Infratil buy SKY.