sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Don’t suppose Vodafone will need VTV once Infratil buy SKY.
    Ha! Good one!

Guru

Vodafone must also rate the new Sky STB if they have decided to pull the pin now.

Clearly their service was struggling, and the new Sky product would have been the final nail in the coffin I think.

Guru

The other thing for us all to ponder...

With Vodafone making the call to get out of their loss making service...so that they can focus their energy and resources on core telco competencies...

Will Spark follow suit before long?

Clearly Spark Sport has not become the overwhelming success they thought it would...they have low subscriber numbers, customers aren't particularly pleased having cricket rights split between two subscriptions etc.

And we see the telcos battling it out in the 5G space, which requires an enormous amount of time and investment.

So, could Vodafone getting out of Pay TV be a precursor to Spark doing the same thing?

That alone would launch the Sky SP God knows how high.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 09-12-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    The other thing for us all to ponder...

With Vodafone making the call to get out of their loss making service...so that they can focus their energy and resources on core telco competencies...

Will Spark follow suit before long?

Clearly Spark Sport has not become the overwhelming success they thought it would...they have low subscriber numbers, customers aren't particularly pleased having cricket rights split between two subscriptions etc.

And we see the telcos battling it out in the 5G space, which requires an enormous amount of time and investment.

So, could Vodafone getting out of Pay TV be a precursor to Spark doing the same thing?

That alone would launch the Sky SP God knows how high.
    I suppose spark could sell the rights they hold, to SKY? ( severely discounted of course )

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    I suppose spark could sell the rights they hold, to SKY? ( severely discounted of course )
    That would make the most sense I think, yes.

And just decomisison their platform - Sky don't need it. SSN is very good.

That would make the most sense I think, yes.

And just decomisison their platform - Sky don't need it. SSN is very good.
    Agree, but what would sky charge for it or would just roll into the existing sport package price - i.e no change and a saving of $20 or so for those that have both - like me - only for the WRC and F1 on the whole

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Agree, but what would sky charge for it or would just roll into the existing sport package price - i.e no change and a saving of $20 or so for those that have both - like me - only for the WRC and F1 on the whole
    If this scenario were to present, this is what Sky would need to assess.

If they can get the rights to the cricket, EPL etc for a bargain...is it worth just absorbing those costs into the existing Sport package price to eliminate a competitor?

Or perhaps they lift their sports sub at the same time. They have hinted in the past that they have not raised the sport package price for a while, so maybe sport rises to $35/month.

Cricket fans etc still better off because right now the cheapest way to stream all cricket is $49.99/month to get the SS/SSN bundle deal.

Advanced Member

I think they would role nz cricket into the main sport bundle, but other rights might be worth splitting into a new niche extra sport package, or maybe going the “non-exclusive” route to some degree.

Guru

Poor Ogg - Sky is just headquartered in the wrong country!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...RQGOVCOWZ6MTM/

If this scenario were to present, this is what Sky would need to assess.

If they can get the rights to the cricket, EPL etc for a bargain...is it worth just absorbing those costs into the existing Sport package price to eliminate a competitor?

Or perhaps they lift their sports sub at the same time. They have hinted in the past that they have not raised the sport package price for a while, so maybe sport rises to $35/month.

Cricket fans etc still better off because right now the cheapest way to stream all cricket is $49.99/month to get the SS/SSN bundle deal.
    You could argue that when they lost Cricket, F1, WRC etc etc they did not reduce the price either -
    Would prefer the cricket all in one place

Though they still have all these new bundles/prices on the way at some point next year