sharetrader

The $2.30-$2.40 area was my target for a healthy retracement from highs. Have added the first portion of a new swing position and will keep adding more from here.

Guru

From 2017, not long after the Sky-Voda deal was blocked:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...SYLEPSZU56HHI/

I was trying to figure out why SKT does not have a deal with NETFLIX by now. After all, offering NETFLIX as part of a entertainment package is pretty standard for Sky UK now.

It is because Spark's deal with NETFLIX is exclusive.

I have it on good authority that Spark paid NETFLIX the biggest premium ever paid in the world to get the deal done exlusively. So that actually lose a fair bit on each sub they sign up, though clearly are of the view that they make it up in time with lower churn on broadband etc.

When your revenue streams are well diversified you can do things like that.

Not sure when their partnership deal is up for renewal, and it will be interesting to see if they pony up again and pay a large premium to prevent other players like Sky from getting a NETFLIX deal.

I get the "basic" Netflix package free with my fibre connection thru Spark - no doubt if Spark did lose it to Sky or someone else, I would have to then pay for it which at this point I would not bother - only got a couple of things on the list to watch via netflix.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I get the "basic" Netflix package free with my fibre connection thru Spark - no doubt if Spark did lose it to Sky or someone else, I would have to then pay for it which at this point I would not bother - only got a couple of things on the list to watch via netflix.
    Just a minor point...but you aren't quite getting it for free...the cost of the NETFLIX sub is bundled in.

You are most certainly getting it heavily subsidised...but certainly not free.

Guru

https://simplywall.st/stocks/nz/medi...ares#valuation

Fair value estimated at $4.23/share. You can click the 'View Data' button under the infographic to see the DCF calculations.

Fairly bearish assumptions made on future earning power.

Though it also does assume Sky will be trading in 10+ years time. If you think that Sky will be dead within the next 5 years, then the current SP is very fair (and simply wall st valuation is redundant).

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Just a minor point...but you aren't quite getting it for free...the cost of the NETFLIX sub is bundled in.

You are most certainly getting it heavily subsidised...but certainly not free.
    Well yes I know that - minor point as you say

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Well yes I know that - minor point as you say
    Sure, but it's not what you said...

I think a lot of people think they they are getting NETFLIX for 'free' with their Spark broadband bundle.

It is completely incorrect of course, but shows how smart bundling can be. What is important is that the consumer feels that they are getting something for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Sure, but it's not what you said...

I think a lot of people think they they are getting NETFLIX for 'free' with their Spark broadband bundle.

It is completely incorrect of course, but shows how smart bundling can be. What is important is that the consumer feels that they are getting something for nothing.
    Excellent point mistaTea

Although I recently changed plans where I was not getting Netflix, free or otherwise, but the new plan costs less and has Netflix - otherwise no different to what I was on as for speed/data etc - so a win for me.!

I note they introduce new plans which are/seem to be good value to what you are currently on, then down the track drop those and introduce a new one the same or better for less cost but of course do not tell the existing subscribers.
    Got to keep an eye on that!
    Twice this has happened in the last few years, first time I only looked into it as our usage was starting to skyrocket due to eldest now with a computer and phone and endless video watching by said child :-) and the fact that Sky "lost"/did not want to pay so much for F1 and the WRC, I have said previously for me lost those two from Sky but subs did not change - so I could say that I was getting those for free - ha ha ha
    Last edited by Jay; 14-01-2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: pressed the post buttonr too soon

Guru

Our relationship with Orcon goes way back.

2010: Orcon provided their network to help Sky launch iSky. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/technolog...VSTXIHVRL5YDY/

2014: It was speculated that Sky might be on the brink of purchasing Orcon. But the price must have been too high and so JF took a pass (plus he would have been careful not to upset Vodafone). https://billbennett.co.nz/sky-orcon/

Ultimately that deal did not happen and within two years of that article Sky and Vodafone were going to get married.

Now things have changed. Instead of Sky being the $2B juggernaut considering purchasing minnow Orcon, it may well end up being a $2B Orcon considering buying minnow Sky TV!