sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Our relationship with Orcon goes way back.

2010: Orcon provided their network to help Sky launch iSky. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/technolog...VSTXIHVRL5YDY/

2014: It was speculated that Sky might be on the brink of purchasing Orcon. But the price must have been too high and so JF took a pass (plus he would have been careful not to upset Vodafone). https://billbennett.co.nz/sky-orcon/

Ultimately that deal did not happen and within two years of that article Sky and Vodafone were going to get married.

Now things have changed. Instead of Sky being the $2B juggernaut considering purchasing minnow Orcon, it may well end up being a $2B Orcon considering buying minnow Sky TV!
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...nternet-market

$30M asking price!!!

7 years on and the business is valued at ~$700M.

Christ Almighty.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jimdog31 View Post
    Wow! yet they bought Rugby pass...
    Yes! And paid US$40M for it.

At the time I had high hopes that it could materialise into something...but now it is clear that Sky got played. The RP owners at the time took advantage of Sky being in a panic and paranoid about losing the NZR contract...so they paid big time to buy RP and demonstate how 'with it' Sky is so that NZR didn't go to Spark (even though that outcome was highly unlikely anyway).

So we probbaly paid 10X what a rational buyer would pay for a loss-making streamer with rugby contracts in every single country except for the ones that matter.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, and I am sure John Fellet and the team will have a long list of excuses if ever asked...but had Sky bought Orcon back in 2014 (I am sure they would have had less Comcom scrutiny that the Vodafone transaction) things would be so different now. The market would not have reacted quite so aggressively against Sky if they were a bonafide telco with multiple revenue streams. Had Sky taken this route instead, they probably would have purchased 2D years ago too.

Oh well - shoulda, woulda coulda.

Now the tables have turned...rather than Sky acting on the likes of Orcon as they (Sky) carefully shape their future...it is much more likely that other parties will be the ones who act upon Sky now and decide her future for her.

And thanks to that many of us were able to buy into SKY last year for less than 20 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    And thanks to that many of us were able to buy into SKY last year for less than 20 cents!
    $2.00 in real 2022 terms.

I think we’ll be bemoaning the SKT share price for many years …maybe forever …..like it will never trade anywhere near ‘fair value’ / ‘intrinsic value’

One a share market pariah alwaysxa share market pariah
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I think we’ll be bemoaning the SKT share price for many years …maybe forever …..like it will never trade anywhere near ‘fair value’ / ‘intrinsic value’

One a share market pariah alwaysxa share market pariah
    Sky will never get anywhere near intrinsic value so long as she remains solely a content aggregator.

Sky UK knew this and just look out how they transformed by fully embracing telco.

We were late to the party but JF did try and get us there with the Vodafone deal…but it wasn’t to be.

Now we are in 2022 and things are way different. I think it would be crazy for the Sky Board not to get a deal together and make something happen.

Merging with Foxtel is the other option and would help get more scale. But Foxtel have IPO fever (again) and their energy is focussed on listing.

My strong preference remains for Sky to become a fully fledged telco. That would put an end to the market question of whether or not sky will still be around in 5 years time and, if so, in what capacity?

It is that never-ending question about Sky’s viability longer term that retards her EBITDA multiple.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 19-01-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Guru

https://www.skysportnow.co.nz/packag...ackagesSection

I see Sky Sport NOW are offering the winter olympics for a one-off $24.99. You get all Sports channels between 02 Feb - 20 Feb.

Good to see them continuing to evolve their offers.

I don't think the economics ever allow for punters to get down to the level where you just pay $x/month for individual channels etc. But good to see that there are opportunities to effectively give people tournament passes.

And allowing access to all the sports channels for the tournament period is smart - hopefully customers see other sporting codes during the tournament and see value in continuing a subscription.

Good to have these major sporting events to keep people interested.
    Did someone mention that SKY no longer have the rights to F1? The 2022 season is not too far away.
    Also good to see that Hollywood did not come to a stand still during the pandemic.

IMO

Really enjoyed the 12 day Dakar desert race highlights ,with 8 classes from mbike's to trucks.Spectacular scenery.AMA Motocross back too ,great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    Good to have these major sporting events to keep people interested.
    Did someone mention that SKY no longer have the rights to F1? The 2022 season is not too far away.
    Also good to see that Hollywood did not come to a stand still during the pandemic.
    Correct mike - Spark Sport have F1 - looking forward to March 20th I think it is
    Sky not had it for a couple of years now