sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snigmac View Post
    I'm also of the opinion that Sky TV, Silver Lake and NZR will have some kind of deal playing out these coming months.

Just a gut feeling.
    Just coming back to this...

I stand by my comments around questioning the value of SKT buying into CommercialCo along side SL. I mean, what is the benefit? We might own 5% of CommercialCo...but that doesn't guarantee NZR renew with SKT on reasonable terms. In fact, 95% of the ownership in CommercialCo would be by NZR and SL...whose interests might not align with SKT. So our influence on outcomes would be incredibly limited...

But...what if instead SL are looking to invest in Sky TV?? Not sure if they would want to buy Sky outright, but potentially might want to pay $x to take a large percentage of Sky (say, 10%-20% equity).

That could be an interesting deal, because if that was the case then:

1. We would get another injection of cash + benefit from the expertise of SL; and
    2. It would be in SL's interest to have NZR renew with Sky to maximise gains via Sky's large reach (as opposed to trying to use their own OTT platform).

Another cash injection + NZR being effectively 'locked in' with Sky could lead to a positive shift in market sentiment.

Fun speculation anyway while we 'wait and see'. But this would be a SL/SKT deal that I could understand and see the merit.

Banned

There are quite a few large holders in this stock still, could they be influencing the board away from distributing cash? If there is no dividend/capital return/buyback due to some huge acquisition surely that will have some repercussions for board re-election. We need MistaTea on the board. I'm surprised the SP has held up so well in recent times given the outlook on consumer spending, inflation and the headwinds Netflix is facing.

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    There are quite a few large holders in this stock still, could they be influencing the board away from distributing cash? If there is no dividend/capital return/buyback due to some huge acquisition surely that will have some repercussions for board re-election.
    There could be blood at ASM if no divie. But Sophie as good as guaranteed one this FY. Reports august (?)

... have power to make you great

Spark v Sky heats up: Inside the battle for the 2023 Rugby World Cup rights
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/spa...TZNQ2U5X2TNTE/

On second thoughts, there goes the divi

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post

All the more reason for shareholders to expect Sky to announce some kind of game-changer transaction for the business soon.

If we get to August and its just token buybacks and a divvy after the recent announcement that will not go down well.

Short of a takeover, a big cornerstone investor (like SL as an example) could be just the thing that keeps Sky in the drivers seat.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post

Also, Sky teaming up with TVNZ to pay way over the odds to secure the tournament makes me nervous.

Remember, if Spark/TV3 win it I can guarantee you that most of the 'important' matches will be FTA on 3. Sky Set Top Box customers will get all of those matches. Sky Sport NOW subs can create a ThreeNow account and stream those matches too.

So the equation for Sky has to be "How many matches that Kiwis care about won't be FTA if Spark/3 win it? And how much are those matches worth to us?".

If Spark/3 are bidding for it, and we win it...then we MUST have paid over the odds for it. Not a great way to run a business.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 25-05-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Sky has consistently said they have great data to support bids, and that they have no problem losing content if it doesn't stack up. Would only really become a problem if another content aggregator picks up a significant amount, with Spark is nowhere near.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    Sky has consistently said they have great data to support bids, and that they have no problem losing content if it doesn't stack up. Would only really become a problem if another content aggregator picks up a significant amount, with Spark is nowhere near.
    Yes, one would hope that commonsense prevails and Sky use their data wisely to ensure they don't pay over the odds.

It would be one thing if we could use content as a loss leader to grow another complimentary service (like broadband, mobile etc), but that is not the case for Sky.

Also, Spark have been trying to do that since their launch and so far to no avail. I think in their last report they actually lost broadband market share.

Maybe sky will absorb spark sport. Spark sport is failing. Could this be the delay about capital return.Black caps in England. Test matches. How many viewers. SKY has massive data to know whats worth bidding for and how much. Spark must be losing massive amounts from just the cricket . Hence why they passing stuff onto 3.