sharetrader
Page 141 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 41911311371381391401411421431441451511912416411141 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 14170
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12272097

$235m for all black rights...stop the bus the world's gone completely mad.
    Very pleased I am not a shareholder supporting what appears to be gross recklessness.
    To be fair it is for 5 years and includes Super Rugby. Not sure how much they pay at the moment for Super Rugby but $235m is a hell of a lot. I have gone off Super Rugby the last few years and I am sure I am not alone. Not sure it this is the way to go SKY.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    To be fair it is for 5 years and includes Super Rugby. Not sure how much they pay at the moment for Super Rugby but $235m is a hell of a lot. I have gone off Super Rugby the last few years and I am sure I am not alone. Not sure it this is the way to go SKY.
    They realise that simply, they've just got to have the rugby, and without it they are toasted. Have to bet the house on it, to give them some more breathing room.

Roughly about 4x more per year than what Spark paid for the World Cup

Gargantuan amount in the context of the market cap and the fact that shareholders are presently not getting any dividends.
    Directors and management appear to be working hard to ensure their survival and are happy to work and be paid extremely well but expect shareholders will accept no payment while they embark on this highly experimental approach at massive cost. Amazing as it may seem, many people still tune into SKY to watch things other than Rugby and I am one of them and while a good game of rugby with a decent opponent is enjoyable its no more enjoyable than a good movie in my opinion. Guess I am not sport obsessed like many Kiwi's appear to be.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Drastic times call for drastic measures. CEO has been making all the right moves to date. Also I read somewhere it's only $10M / year than they are already paying. Spark also proving that this streaming stuff isn't as easy as it seems and RWC viewership on Spark's platform is WAY DOWN. RNZ won't be happy with that. Whether it works is another matter, but I think they are doing what needs to be done. That's the position the company is in.

Advanced Member

Super Rugby....the structure of the competition sucks. From memory we have one more year to go before they come up with a new format based on a round robin, might help.
    Agree....I lost interest as well. Not having SKY didn't help either,

Guru

Ummm, guys - Sky could only dream of locking up rugby rights for $235M. They will be paying much more than that for 5 years. Nobody knows what they paid last time, but it has been speculated that rugby cost them $350M.

Now, the only relevance the $235M figure has is that it happens to be 50% of the company's market cap at the time they entered negotiations with Sanzaar and NZ Rugby. If I am not mistaken, under the companies act, any transaction that will be equal to or greater than 50% of market capitalisation needs to go to the shareholder vote. As the SP is in the toilet, they have had to go to the vote whereas they never had to in the past - they just got on with it.

If you guys are losing your minds thinking Sky just bid $235M then you would certainly have an apoplexy if you were ever privy to the actual amount they end up paying. Rugby is big business, and with new competition for rights plus inflation they will certainly need to pay more than they did 5 years ago.

But the amount extra they pay may not be as terrifying as a lot of people assume. They own RugbyPass now which is another card for them to play, and they also have naming rights to the Cake Tin (which allows them to offer a much greater fan experience in Wellington using their technology and broadcasting expertise).

Ultimately the most important factor will always be money, but Sky is developing additional selling points to help give them the edge.

Could you explain what Sky could provide in terms of "fan experience" by having naming rights to the Cake Tin....?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moimoi View Post
    Could you explain what Sky could provide in terms of "fan experience" by having naming rights to the Cake Tin....?
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/115...llington-venue

We won't have to wait too long before they share the ideas they have which ended up being worthy of implementation.

I think it is a given that they will have more large screens in key locations with the live sky sport broadcast (and commentary). So you won't miss out while lining up for food etc.

But there are also opportunities using apps etc to engage with fans more in the stands etc.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 01-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Guru

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/341984

On one hand, I am dubious about the wisdom of issuing new shares to fund part of the acquisition (given the SP is so low).

But on the other hand, I wonder if Sky would have needed to pay more in an all-cash scenario.

I am glad the RugbyPass founder and key management are sticking around to grow the business, and they should be strongly motivated to do so since they will only get the big pay day in the future if they can increase the share price by a meaningful amount. .

But there are also opportunities using apps etc to engage with fans more in the stands etc.

Using Sparks 5G....