sharetrader
Page 149 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 49991391451461471481491501511521531591992496491149 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Can you really see satellite broadcasting beating the internet? It's only a matter of time.
    Well, when did I say it would? I am 100% on board with the notion that online streaming is the future.

Sky would immediately shave about $50M off the OPEX if they could shut down the satellite tomorrow.

Streaming is here in the present and will continue to grow into the future. Sky have streaming options for both entertainment and Sport. I have been using Sky Sport NOW and it works well, no buffering so far. They are investing mostly into Sky Sport NOW and NEON, which is great as that is how more and more people will want to consume their content.

But I still see the satellite as an advantage in the short-medium term. It still means that Sky can reach the greatest audience by far, and reduces the risk of failures when large audiences tune in at once for a live match.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    But I still see the satellite as an advantage in the short-medium term. It still means that Sky can reach the greatest audience by far, and reduces the risk of failures when large audiences tune in at once for a live match.
    It only means they can reach their current subscribers, who are leaving in droves. What about all the internationals that follow NZ sport that have no satellite option? They have to simulcast on internet with an inferior product. If they’re doing that then there’s no need for satellite is there?

You do know that Sparks broadcast platform can cater for millions of viewers? They don’t do this by themselves.

Sky do seem to realise that internet streaming is the future but now they’re on the back foot And for that reason they have already fallen from prominent broadcaster to catching up. This market is moving very quickly now, more quickly than sky seem to be able to keep up with.

85% down Since their acquisition of INL and listing. Not a good look or track record.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It only means they can reach their current subscribers, who are leaving in droves. What about all the internationals that follow NZ sport that have no satellite option? They have to simulcast on internet with an inferior product. If they’re doing that then there’s no need for satellite is there?

You do know that Sparks broadcast platform can cater for millions of viewers? They don’t do this by themselves.

Sky do seem to realise that internet streaming is the future but now they’re on the back foot And for that reason they have already fallen from prominent broadcaster to catching up. This market is moving very quickly now, more quickly than sky seem to be able to keep up with.

85% down Since their acquisition of INL and listing. Not a good look or track record.
    Very good points. But I don’t believe their satellite base is dwindling because the average kiwi cares whether their program is broadcast via streaming or satellite.

Numbers are dwindling because Sky have not priced their satellite offering competitively. Relative to Netflix, for example, paying $70 a month to get movies + SOHO (and needing to take starter and pay a MySky fee too) seems ridiculous. Especially when you can get most of the movies and SOHO content on Sky’s NEON platform for $13.95 a month.

I truly believe there is a place for both satellite and streaming packages in the medium term - but they have to rework their traditional packages and price it much more competitively.

ARPU will drop, but they have the potential to lift both satellite and streaming subscription numbers over time.

And I am aware that Spark has a very good platform and NZ has sufficient bandwidth to stream live events to large audiences. Even so, the internet is still the wild Wild West to some extent and there will be more problems for Spark.

Sky would also have problems with the internet if they waived the magic wand and streamed 100% of their content from tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Very good points. ..................

Numbers are dwindling because Sky have not priced their satellite offering competitively.

Sky would also have problems with the internet if they waived the magic wand and streamed 100% of their content from tomorrow.
    Exactly! Fleecing their captured subscribers is the reason I cancelled my subscription after the RWC2011 here. Watching just rugby for the monthly price of it is too much then when you can get an internet streaming for most of sports for free.

Not a holder but money is still there to be made on existing subscribers now that the sp has gone down and its decline is inevitable.

Most on here seemed more clued up about the modern world and the future than that SKY Director guru DH
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Meantime, if you want to watch the Black Caps overseas, it's going to be Sky for a while.....

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/342461

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Meantime, if you want to watch the Black Caps overseas, it's going to be Sky for a while.....

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/342461
    And this is where unbundling sucks for the consumer. I am a cricket fan. Now I will have to subscribe to 2 services to watch my favourite team play. Consumers naively think they are getting better deals but in the end it will cost them more. Not to mention a host of other subscriptions to watch my other sports. Going to cost me a whole lot more than the $98 a month I pay to SKY which also gives me Soho, Fox, Disney for the kids, Sports and the ability to record, fast forward ads and off course the SKY GO streaming service when I am away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    .... Disney for the kids....
    Sorry to break it to you, but you're losing that on 30th November too.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but you're losing that on 30th November too.
    Yeah I know, so now I will have to find another subscription for them too. Oh well back to you tube.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    And this is where unbundling sucks for the consumer.
    Sky have been lazy, arrogant, slow-to-changed, gouged their customers etc, but consumers have to be careful what they wish for......Sky had it all in the one place.

Not any longer...….