sharetrader
Page 154 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 541041441501511521531541551561571581642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 14173
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Net subscriber numbers increased last year. And the next round of results will include RugbyPass subscribers.

I expect satellite subscriptions to be down, but NEON, Sky Sport NOW, Vodafone TV and RugbyPass subscriptions to be up - generating an overall subscriber gain.

ARPU will be lower of course, but I don't really care about that. I would rather have 1 million subscribers paying an average of $50 than 500,000 subscribers paying an average if $100 (even though Revenue is the same).

In fact, I wish they wouldn't even quote ARPU anymore. It is becoming more meaningless as time goes on.

Take me, for example. I pay $39.99 for Sky Sport NOW and $13.95 for NEON. I am one household who pays Sky $54.94 per month. But under the ARPU model I am seen as two subscribers paying $27.47 each on average.

As the trend of people ditching satellite in favour of NEON/Sky Sport NOW combinations continue the ARPU figure will become even more meaningless in my view.
    How does Neon compare with Netflix for available movies etc?

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Not the volume of movies but all new release movies, so for me that's better. If you miss the movie at the movies, it will be on Neon soon enough.

I did take the unusual step to leave my house the other day to watch Joker at the movies...

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Much more recent movies, but quite limited selection. Worth getting a subscription for a month, watching everything you want, and then cancelling, but not something I would bother being a permanent subscriber to.

...but there is a wide selection of recently released movies.

Yes, just get it for a month and watch the entire back catalogue of everything HBO has produced, but only their quality shows

I never did watch The Wire the first time around, I guess I should take a gander.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 14-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by silverblizzard888 View Post
    Well I'd also like to say Thank you for the constructive discussion and the open mindedness , especially how civil it has remained! =)
    My pleasure, always nice to get new information from others, as way as alternative view points.

Would be very sad indeed if we couldn't have a discussion like this without being at each others throats!

I don't know and I'm not sure but something is not right about this deal between SKT and RNZ and a lot of questions has to be asked for it to pass as above board.

Brent Impey NZ Rugby Chairman is well connected in media and financial circles

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    I don't know and I'm not sure but something is not right about this deal between SKT and RNZ and a lot of questions has to be asked for it to pass as above board.
    The move has certainly caught everyone on the hop, and has shown Sky and NZR have the ability to think outside the square in my view.

I don't see anything wrong with NZR owning a piece of a broadcaster. It makes sense, as it enables them to have more say in what Sky TV does moving forward to help nurture and grow the game. At the same time, it gives Sky more certainty about the content moving forward.

Since we are in the era of Peak Content where there are so many OTT SVOD services, maintaining key relationships is more important now than it ever has been for Sky.

Guru

Over 11 million shares traded today. Someone is buying up large.

I still do wonder if someone is going to launch a takeover attempt. Would be sad to see another company disappear from the NZX. Though I could understand from Sky's perspective, the right owner could make things a lot easier. If the company was private they would not have anywhere near the same amount of scrutiny - they could just get on with it.

Though I make no predictions in this area, it would not surprise me at all if someone was going to try and buy up to 19.99% at the current low price, and then launch a takeover for the rest via a scheme of arrangement.

I remember Vero did something similar with Tower a couple of years back. It ultimately failed because it was blocked by the Comcom, but the strategy was smart (in their case they managed to effectively stop conglomerate Fairfax from entering the NZ marker by purchasing Tower).

Anyway, let's see what happens.

Has anyone else had a similar thought?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Over 11 million shares traded today. Someone is buying up large.
    Make that 13 million shares.