sharetrader
Page 169 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 691191591651661671681691701711721731792192696691169 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 14173

good to see mister t being pro active. i ditched sky 2 years ago now and they tryed to keep us by offering sky free for 6 mths but they pissed me off with there price gouging so i said bye anyway.

just signed up to have a look at disney+ but if you take out all the kids stuff theres not much on offer. so dont see it as a big competitor at the moment for netflix or sky
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    just signed up to have a look at disney+ but if you take out all the kids stuff theres not much on offer. so dont see it as a big competitor at the moment for netflix or sky
    Yeah some of the 'bad news' stories for Sky relating to losing content like Disney are way overhyped in my view. I do not see many people (if any) cancelling their Sky subscription because they are moving on to the Disney+ platform.
    The Disney offering is great for kids, but it is not a replacement to Sky TV (or Netflix for that matter). It is a complement (for which the consumer needs to fork out another $10/month or $99 for a year in advance now).

You will find that losing Disney is more likely to have the counterintuitive result of increasing Sky's profit. Because they stop paying Disney for their content but don't really lose any subscriptions as a result.

There are core channels and content that the majority of Sky customers subscribe for, be it sporting codes, movies, SOHO or some of the Entertainment channels. So they absolutely need to hold on to the content that is the biggest drawcard for their customer base, but we should all keep some persepective.

If HBO did not renew their deal with Sky beyond 2023 - that would be a significant blow. You would absolutely see more subscriptions in satellite drop if they lost that (NEON subs would drop too). Anything could happen in this ever-changing landscape between now and 2023, but HBO just renewed their deal with Sky UK (even though they are releasing HBO Max next year). So I don't think we can conclude from Disney's move that all other premium content providers (like HBO, Showtime, FX...) are going to sever their relationships with cable and satellite TV aggregators.

In fact, given the plethroa of OTT providers already my pick is they will release their own OTT offerings too but keep the cashflow from aggregators coming in since the OTT market is so crowded and it will become more and more difficult for new OTT entrants to gain meaningful marketshare.

Guru

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12287343

My 'good mate' Mr Keall filling his knowledge gaps with more speculation again.

I do not believe for one second that NZ Rugby (with Brent Impey in particular in mind) care one bit about the recent drop in quoted value of their Sky TV shareholding.

Taking equity as part of the recent rugby deal was part of a long term strategic commitment. Share Price will be a small factor in how Brent views value - the main drivers will be how the closer alliance between NZ Rugby and Sky TV can develop the game in New Zealand.

I am all for objective criticisms of Sky TV - I have many of my own criticisms to make - but Chris has a habit of just making up stories when he is bored.

Still, I should probably thank him I suppose. I doubt many analysts and investors take his articles seriously (they really are low quality, as a general rule) but it all adds to the negative sentiment which allows new investors to buy in with a large margin of safety.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Have found Sky terrible just lately to communicate with.
    They seem to have forgotten how to communicate with there loyal subscribers.. Probably too busy trying to bribe the ones threatening to leave!
    Their facebook page had been full of comment's such as "Sky when are you going to get back to me?"
    " Sky when are you going to answer my question?"

Guru

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12288544

More speculation on the cost of rugby to sky.

We will never really know the true cost as it was not long ago 'insiders' and 'experts' were touting $400M as the price paid.

All we know is it definitely didn't come cheap. I tend to think that NZ Rugby did not make them pay a cash component that was likely to run them into the ground given they are now a major shareholder. Logic would dictate they expect Sky to do well over time - and to do that they have to be able to afford the content rights they purchase.

Revenue is going to continue to drop over the next couple of years at least due to falling satellite subscriptions. Digital streaming services are likely to continue to grow rapidly which will take out some of the sting of the satellite subscription loss in the short term - but right now the reality is you need about 3 or 4 NEON subscribers to replace a current Sky Movies + SOHO satellite subscriber.

So they are going to need to be picky around what content they retain to keep costs manageable during their transition to streaming. Losing Domestic Cricket may end up being a blessing in a way. There will be other content - entertainment and sport - that they will need to drop I think.

If they can roll out the new Sky TV app soon, they should be able to convert a lot of their existing satellite subscribers to cheaper streaming bundles (instead of losing them altogether or at best convincing some to take NEON and/or Sky Sport NOW).

They still get $54/month from me for my NEON and Sky Sport NOW. But I would be happy to pay them total of $75/month for a more comprehensive bundle that gave me a wider range of entertainment channels and sport.

Got some more capital becoming available next week and I want to buy more. Let's pray the price drops well below 80c again after the latest speculation

Guru

Partner with TVNZ to deliver the Olympics

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/345074

Maybe it is just to get Keith Quinn to commentate the weightlifting and womans gymnastics???

[/QUOTE= Maybe it is just to get Keith Quinn to commentate the weightlifting and womans gymnastics???
    /QUOTE]

Maybe
    Though with all due respect I think Keith Quinn has had his day and should stick to Funeral insurance ads

I note is does not say Live coverage on TVNZ 1 - there maybe some??

Not using Prime this time???
    Last edited by Jay; 28-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    [/QUOTE= Maybe it is just to get Keith Quinn to commentate the weightlifting and womans gymnastics???
    /QUOTE]

Maybe
    Though with all due respect I think Keith Quinn has had his day and should stick to Funeral insurance ads

I was taking the Michael about good old Keith. Has had his day, although surprisingly he is only 73. But will forever be remembered for the greatest piece of sports commentary in NZ history! (1995, Jonah and an on-air orgasm!)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    /QUOTE]

Sky will not use Prime - TVNZ have dibs on all free-to-air coverage.

And TVNZ will get to broadcast Live coverage. But they are going to have to be selective on what they will show for the 12hrs/day they can show coverage on TV1.

Sky will still be the only place where all the games can be watched live across their numerous Sports channels (with the ability to add pop-up channels if need be).

We will never know how much TVNZ have paid to buy-in, nor whether Sky will get to share a portion of the ad revenue TVNZ generate during the tournament...

However one thing is for sure - Sky would not have given TVNZ the same sweetheart deal Spark Sport gave them for the RWC. Spark Sport had to give them a sweet deal as they needed their production capabilities and backup broadcast ability.

Sky already has a core competency in Production and also have Prime, so I don't think they needed TVNZ in the same way. Logic would dictate that TVNZ needed to pay a fair price to join in.

Regardless, this should be a good partnership - and definitely good for NZers as a whole as between TVNZ and Sky they can literally reach every single household in NZ.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 28-11-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/117...-over-lightbox

Speculation that Sky could go into business partnership with Spark?