sharetrader
Page 171 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 711211611671681691701711721731741751812212716711171 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 14170
    Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ralia-overhaul

Need to keep an eye on what is happening across the ditch.

There has been so much speculation in the media that Sky have agreed to pay NZ$100M per year for rugby from 2021.

I don't have any inside information so I can't be sure what they have paid...but when I read that Foxtel are currently paying NZ$59M per year for equivalent broadcast rights in a larger market, it does make me doubt the veracity of the '$100M' claim.

Sky clearly agreed to stump up more for rugby from 2021 than they are currently paying (and even gave some equity to NZ Rugby as a sweetner), but I just get the feeling that they haven't had to fork out nearly as much cash as people seem to think.

Given the relatively small market in NZ...I don't think it is realistic to think that a NZ broadcaster agreed to pay half a billion dollars + 5% equity in the company to show some rugby to a minority of their subscriber base. At that cost you would be better to let Spark shareholders have a crack if they are brave enough and focus on other sports and entertainment.

A more realistic scenario in my opinion is that Martin Stewart lifted the cash component by a more modest and affordable percentage and used the 5% equity to make the deal more compelling. NZ Rugby have taken the long-term view that they will be better served over the next 10,15,20 years taking less cash now than they may well have been able to get if they went with Spark... but now own a significant piece of a proven broadcaster that can help them grow and promote the game.
    Brent Impey is a smart guy and it would make zero sense for him to take such a large equity stake in Sky...and then run the company into the ground by demanding half a billion dollars in cash over 5 years.

It would make more sense for the two organisations to have had frank and open discussions in an effort to find the Win-Win.

Stayed in a motel at the weekend
    Had Netflix and YouTube and Freeview channels , no sign of Sky
    Interestingly the internet went down on Saturday night while trying to watch Netflix. So they were probably on Spark broadband also.
    Maybe they’re getting Netflix for free through Spark so Spark adding Spark Sport for a small extra fee will be doable

Weren’t the Sky fees for commercial usage a lot higher than residential? So less cash flowing to Sky now

Maybe they’ll be giving away Sky to commercial premise to maintain brand awareness like newspapers now

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ben28 View Post

Maybe they’ll be giving away Sky to commercial premise to maintain brand awareness like newspapers now
    More likely Sky will join the trend whereby people are able to provide their own OTT entertainment now when staying at hotels/motels...and provide more streaming capability at attractive prices so they grow their subscription base that way.

I imagine more and more motels will give Sky the flick. They do pay high commercial rates and the amount of guests that watch will no doubt be dwindling as people bring their own NEON, Netflix, Lightbox etc subscriptions with them on their smartphone. Especially guests under the age of, say, 40.

I think Sky will hang on to the pubs for quite a while longer though - live Sport still helps bring in the punters and nobody has the range of Sport that Sky does.

SP continuing to decline rapidly.

Seems bizarre when content providers are being valued in the stratosphere that management would embark on the sale of the crown jewel OSB.

SKY needs to transition to being a content provider with its ready made skills...

Aggregation of others material doesn't appear to be working sufficiently to maintain, let alone improve, value for owners.

new lows , they really dont get it , even the new ceo. pricing to high when there is a abundance of competitors. they really need to offer pay per channel options as a difference no way they compete against netflix , even disney and hbo when they ramp up will steal more of there customers.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Sky finally letting customers cast their SkyGo to the big screen. Article in the herald just confirmed it.

Hopefully they will let customers sign up to SkyGo as a stand-alone offering soon.

That should enable them to offer much sharper pricing than their capital intensive satellite model.

I would be happy to swap my NEON and Sky Sport NOW subs for SkyGO if the pricing was reasonable.

I pay $54/month at the moment. I’d be happy to pay $75/month for a comprehensive SkyGo entertainment and sports bundle. It would be more convenient to have all of the content on one platform (whereas right now I have to navigate between NEON, Sky Sport NOW and TVNZ ON DEMAND).

Share price couldn’t possibly sink into the 60’s could it?

Getting more unloved by the week
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

If management got its direction right it could be a share to watch, but currently is a dog and seems far away from having any upside.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Gut feel says this is another bad move.