sharetrader
Page 174 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 741241641701711721731741751761771781842242746741174 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 14173
    Guru

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12301604

Though I (clearly) think content aggregators have a place in a streaming future...I do wonder about cinemas.

I don't think they will necessarily go the way of Blockbuster...but I can imagine a scenario where going out to the movies becomes more and more of a treat (which could decimate their revenue).

With people able to get large (70+ inch) 4K UHD TV's for relatively cheap these days, setting up the lounge and streaming movies at home is more and more appealing. You can rent The Joker right now on Lightbox (as an example) for $7.99 - way cheaper than taking the family out to the movies.

I only go to the movies nowadays if a new movie is out that I really REALLY want to see - and don't want to wait until it is available to rent on PPV.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12301604

Though I (clearly) think content aggregators have a place in a streaming future...I do wonder about cinemas.

I don't think they will necessarily go the way of Blockbuster...but I can imagine a scenario where going out to the movies becomes more and more of a treat (which could decimate their revenue).

With people able to get large (70+ inch) 4K UHD TV's for relatively cheap these days, setting up the lounge and streaming movies at home is more and more appealing. You can rent The Joker right now on Lightbox (as an example) for $7.99 - way cheaper than taking the family out to the movies.

I only go to the movies nowadays if a new movie is out that I really REALLY want to see - and don't want to wait until it is available to rent on PPV.

Its a really interesting landscape at the moment. Cinemas refusal to accept the Netflix films seems a bold move. Change is coming whether they like it or not and early adopters often have more luck at surviving.

Couple of ways it could go, Netflix starts buying out Cinemas or Builds its own and creates experiences for people better and cheaper than the current cinemas for their special member rate.

Perhaps Cinemas will find a niche in festival type movies?

If I owned a half decent theatre, I’d love to show ‘The Irishman’ for cost and hope to make money on booze and chocco dipped ice creams!

i agree that there is more value to come from Sky, how long till they get their hands on Spark Sport? I read the Spark annual report and there were all of two lines about SS and how they wanted to go for better content caveated with something like “as long as it doesn’t cost too much”. They’re a Telco! Stick to telco-ing!

Adding their grasp of light box plus a huge flush out of costs (anecdotal reports from the shop floor) and a CEO at the helm who does this stuff in his sleep....then it’s gotta be worth at least par value I’m thinking.

All it will take will be some positive news and a brand push and hopefully the punters will see that they do love this ugly duckling. Early Feb perhaps?

tried neon over the holidays , watched game of thrones again which was a good series. pretty disappointed with the platform though froze temporary at times , failed at times to remember where we were up to in the series. selection of content is poor in comparison to netflix. overall not a competitor or threat to the likes of netflix at all.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    tried neon over the holidays , watched game of thrones again which was a good series. pretty disappointed with the platform though froze temporary at times , failed at times to remember where we were up to in the series. selection of content is poor in comparison to netflix. overall not a competitor or threat to the likes of netflix at all.
    Agreed - current NEON platform is dogsh!t compared to Netflix. The improvements they have been working on the last few months will need to be damn good.

Disagree with your comments about their content not being as good though. Sky hold contracts with HBO, Showtime, FX etc...these studios produce the best ‘premium drama’.

Netflix produce a lot more content than HBO etc but I find that most of the stuff on their platform is pretty average. They have some hit Netflix Original shows I love - but if I had to choose I would take NEON.

Thank God I don’t have to choose and subscribe to both!

Anyone tried Amazon Prime to any extent? I had a free trial but the app was AWFUL on my Amazon Fire puck (weird, I know). I couldn't work anything out and didn't watch much/anything.

Still not as good as the Netflix UI in some areas....but I wouldn't personally describe it as a "pile of shyte".
    Agreed - current NEON platform is dogsh!t
    Glad to see that you've come around
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Anyone tried Amazon Prime to any extent? I had a free trial but the app was AWFUL on my Amazon Fire puck (weird, I know). I couldn't work anything out and didn't watch much/anything.
    I got it a while back purely to watch The Grand Tour. There was no crashing issues at all, and UI was OK, but severe lack of content. I need to watch the last season of Grand Tour, and want to check out 'The Boys', so I'll have to try it again.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Glad to see that you've come around
    Nothing like having my past comments thrown in my face! And where did I go wrong? I said dogsh!t - not a "pile of shyte". There is a difference! *nervous laugh*

Relative to Netflix - the NEON app is very average in terms of usability. Describing it as 'dogsh!t' relative to the superior Netflix app is just colourful language on my part. I have never had issues with the app crashing or forgetting my place etc like other users have reported. It works great for me...functionally.

NEON works okay - but Sky need better than Ok. And it's the little things that add up. For example, if I stop watching an episode or movie part way through...when I go back into the app I should be able to resume watching from where I left off with one click like I can with Netflix.

There are a number of things like that which annoy me about NEON...it's functional, gives me a reliable stream of great content BUT is lacking in key areas.

I think I have been reasonably consistent about my Sky streaming criticisms in the past.

And don't get me started on the fact I still have no AppleTV NEON app Compounding this issue is the fact that NEON only supports the worst version of Airplay. Once I start playing a show and Airplaying it to my AppleTV...I can't minimise the iPhone app so that I can use my phone.

I mean, Christ Almighty! What is the world coming to when a man can't surf the web while watching his stories?!

Still, it could be worse. I had the misfortune of being locked into a Vodafone TV contract for 12 months a while back. Now that platform is, without any doubt, an absolutely stinking piece of cr@p. Functionally ok...reliable stream. But Jesus Christ Almighty on a Unicycle!...to try to navigate around that UI...I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 20-01-2020 at 02:16 PM.

NEON works okay - but Sky need better than Ok. And it's the little things that add up. For example, if I stop watching an episode or movie part way through...when I go back into the app I should be able to resume watching from where I left off with one click like I can with Netflix.

There are a number of things like that which annoy me about NEON...it's functional, gives me a reliable stream of great content BUT is lacking in key areas.
    To be fair, Disney, with its unlimited resources, brought out their app with a ton of bugs, and lacking some of the most basic features. Netflix has already done the hard yards testing and tuning, for everyone else it should be easy.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    To be fair, Disney, with its unlimited resources, brought out their app with a ton of bugs, and lacking some of the most basic features. Netflix has already done the hard yards testing and tuning, for everyone else it should be easy.
    It’s all relative. If there was no such thing as NETFLIX I would be saying NEON is super wonderful, no complaints at all - just happy to have a cheaper alternative to a big satellite bundle. UX is way better than MySky - can’t believe how lucky I am!

But NETFLIX does exist. And they are awesome.

And I am really excited to see the new service Sky role out in the coming months.

Sounds like I will start to get it for ‘free’ too since Spark provide my broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    yes I have prime but on an Apple TV. It worked well on a different device with just the Sony TV app. It's cheap as chips and has some okay stuff - I loved that Fleabag show, Prime is worth it just for that. Currently not on Netflix but will be soon again when I decide to watch The Irishman and S3 of The Crown.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....