sharetrader
Page 175 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 751251651711721731741751761771781791852252756751175 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 14170

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    It’s all relative. If there was no such thing as NETFLIX I would be saying NEON is super wonderful, no complaints at all - just happy to have a cheaper alternative to a big satellite bundle. UX is way better than MySky - can’t believe how lucky I am!

But NETFLIX does exist. And they are awesome.

And I am really excited to see the new service Sky role out in the coming months.

Sounds like I will start to get it for ‘free’ too since Spark provide my broadband
    neon will never be that big or good otherwise it will cannabilise there main product. which we all know is a dying monster anyway , priced so high to milk the last remaining suckers left on the service. i mean who pays $25 per month for a starter pack that is 90% free to air channels anyway lol
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    neon will never be that big or good otherwise it will cannabilise there main product. which we all know is a dying monster anyway , priced so high to milk the last remaining suckers left on the service. i mean who pays $25 per month for a starter pack that is 90% free to air channels anyway lol
    I discussed the high satellite pricing with the CEO and CFO a few months back. I pointed out that instead of offering big freebies up front for new business, and then aggressive discounts to hold on to customers when they are out of contract and (understandably) want to leave... they should just offer more competitive pricing in the first place.

For example, if you want Sport... you have to pay about $72/month normal price. But they usually give you Starter + Sport free for one month, and free MySky for 3 months if you are a new customer. That up front discount is the equivalent of roughly $9/month.

If they just dropped the monthly price by $9 it would be $63/month. I reckon they could dig a little deeper and offer a Sports Package (Starter + Sport + MySky) for $59.99. And then make it cheaper to add additional bundles. Let them have Movies + SOHO for an extra $20/month if they already have the Sport package etc...

They listened to my feedback and nodded in all the right places, but have not shifted on satellite pricing. Not one bit.

I spoke with the CFO some more about this, referring back to the example I just gave. He just kept pointing out that you can get Sky Sport NOW for $39.99/month and NEON for $13.95 (total $53.94/month for a Sport and Entertainment bundle from Sky...).

So, what does that tell me? I think they absolutely are going to make NEON a world class and competitive product...because clearly they are not trying to prolong their satellite base for any longer than they have to. And they could never make the satellite packages cheap relative to Netflix anyway. Obviously they don't want all of their satellite customers to cancel tomorrow...because they are still gearing up for the big transition. But I think they want to wrap the satellite distribution model up very quickly. Maybe within the next 5 years.

I think they will beef up NEON so that you can add additional packages to the base Movies + Box Sets. And allow Pay Per View for their Box Office movies.

Or they are beefing up Sky Go so that they can offer that as a stand-alone product (with cheaper bundles, no MySky fees).

Or a combination of both.

Guru

I like what you say there MistaTea, however I have a question about SKYGO.

I was on holiday staying at my brother's place earlier in the month. I tried to watch some sports on SKYGO but it was terrible. Tennis is impossible to watch as you just cannot follow the ball and it buffers or jitters and cricket the same. There is no way they should ditch the satellite business if SKYGO is in the state it is in now. Movies are fine, but sports is just not up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post

I was on holiday staying at my brother's place earlier in the month. I tried to watch some sports on SKYGO but it was terrible. Tennis is impossible to watch as you just cannot follow the ball and it buffers or jitters and cricket the same. There is no way they should ditch the satellite business if SKYGO is in the state it is in now. Movies are fine, but sports is just not up to it.
    One of the problems with streaming Blackcap is not always the broadband or the streaming app ie sky go. Spark found it too and we're slammed for some thing which I believe had nothing to do with them (most of the time). Stock standard modems from providers arnt fit for purpose. They can't handle too many devices connected and also the device being used might also not be up to standard. I used to stream sky go through my laptop and it was terrible. Now I mirror cast it from a android phone ( now you can cast it normally). It's always perfect for me now. Spend a bit of money on a great router and you'll be away laughing.

Guru

As I don't have satellite I don't have SkyGO...so I have limited experience with the app. I remember a while back watching some Sport on a friends SkyGO and don't recall any problems...

However, your comments are interesting and reinforce some of my current thinking.

I have suspected that even though they have made a lot of improvements to SkyGO over the years, it is still not up to snuff. Hence why they have not offered the product as a stand alone yet. If you suddenly had 500,000 logging into SkyGo to watch a big AB's match - I reckon jittering and buffering would be the least of their worries.

They seem to still be enhancing the app (like the recent move to allow Chromecasting...). So I don't think they are necessarily ditching the current platform for a new one. Part of the funds they have retained (instead of paying a dividend - a move I wholeheartedly support btw) will be used to improve SkyGO.

If I am right then I believe we should see SkyGO as a standalone cheaper option coming soon.

The other part of the story for Sky is that they need to negotiate further with their content providers so that they can offer better bundles at attractive price points. Since they are moving away from satellite they just need to renegotiate the streaming component of their contracts.

Even if they offer SkyGO as a standalone...if they are still going to insist on a $25 entry fee for Starter it will remain somewhat of a hurdle. I mean that is damn neat $4/month more than the most expensive NETFLIX 4K option...and you are providing channels most people either don't want or can get on Freeview (as bull.... has pointed out).
    And since customers will BYOD and there zero set up costs for Sky (like the costs they incur sending out decoders, installing or adjusting satellites etc) there should be no need for bullsh!t entry fees in their streaming offering.

If you just want SOHO, for example, ideally you should be able to sign up online and just subscribe to that channel for $9.99 if you want. Have smaller add-ons and let the consumer decide which channels to add. Incentivise customers to add more content by offering discounts to the Ticket Price when customers are adding to existing bundles (i.e reward loyalty with $$$ savings).

As I say, this would require the content providers to be more flexible though. They pretty much dictate how the current bundles go for Sky.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    One of the problems with streaming Blackcap is not always the broadband or the streaming app ie sky go. Spark found it too and we're slammed for some thing which I believe had nothing to do with them (most of the time). Stock standard modems from providers arnt fit for purpose. They can't handle too many devices connected and also the device being used might also not be up to standard. I used to stream sky go through my laptop and it was terrible. Now I mirror cast it from a android phone ( now you can cast it normally). It's always perfect for me now. Spend a bit of money on a great router and you'll be away laughing.
    Yeah that is a really good point too.

I felt for Spark towards the end of the tournament. I think they actually did a really good job overall...but they had to send techies out (at Spark's cost) to some of the customers that had ongoing issues.

And in most cases the customer setup was absolutely horrendous. Not Spark's fault at all - yet they got BLASTED on social media.

I refused to join in on the cacophony at the time...because I know that Sky are going to have to deal with many of the same issues. Most people are reasonably switched on with internet tech now... but there are still many people who are ignorant. And I don't mean that in a horrible way...just pointing out that there are large number of people (typically the older generation) who really do struggle with streaming.

Guru

Ahha that may explain things. But my laptop is a pretty good model so it should not hinge on that. That said my at my brother's place it was on his broadband, on the wifi, and he does live about 7km out of town so that may have something to do with it? That said the series and films had no problems at all. Even then, if you need to upgrade your router to get a good reception on SKYGO to watch sports I am sure not many customers would be that impressed.

Ahha that may explain things. But my laptop is a pretty good model so it should not hinge on that. That said my at my brother's place it was on his broadband, on the wifi, and he does live about 7km out of town so that may have something to do with it? That said the series and films had no problems at all. Even then, if you need to upgrade your router to get a good reception on SKYGO to watch sports I am sure not many customers would be that impressed.
    Laptops can be quite tempermental. They might be able to stream Netflix fine because it downloads aheas of what's needed. But sky runs on downloading as it's needs. Unless it's a gaming pc generally they can't handle it as well. Had a desktop computer and got given a graphics card. It was amazing Shame the computer only handled it for 2 weeks lol.

Guru

Laptops can be quite tempermental. . Unless it's a gaming pc generally they can't handle it as well. l.
    But surely that negates the whole streaming of sports market out there? If your laptop can't handle it then how do ppl stream sports?

But surely that negates the whole streaming of sports market out there? If your laptop can't handle it then how do ppl stream sports?
    Chromecast is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to do it. Plus you can take it anywhere as long as you have WiFi and a phone to start the stream.