sharetrader
Page 19 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329691195191019 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    And just to throw another name into the mix, TIVO has been mentioned, therefore TVNZ.
    I thought Tivo was all but dead in NZ (ie. no longer sold). TVNZ has dropped it and partnered up with SkyTV with igloo. Telecom was the original reseller of Tivo

I am a happy Tivo user (as far as DVR's go) but the online content is limited. Plus they disabled the 'skip ads' button that made Tivo famous! I think I am still paying mine off at $10pm with Telecom.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Guru

When it comes to anything sport related in NZ radio sport is the place to go for info. Their journo's are very well connected.
    They are indeed, and if you want the latest on sports events, items, who is in, who is out, they are right on the ball. Some good sports related discussions on that program as well. Great program and for me so interesting that they seem to know the most about a SKY/business deal.

Advanced Member

Announcement due at 2pm from Coliseum EPL Management Limited

And just to throw another name into the mix, TIVO has been mentioned, therefore TVNZ.
    The prople who got the rights are just middlemen who want to resell to others. They might
    sell some to tivo or igloo even let free for air have some , they could even give some back to sky.
    Will be messy if that happens. Hoping for a dedicated channel to watch it all

Guru

Sorry mate, hope that didnt sound patronising. I should explain my self more. I am 33 years old, when I'm at work, working alongside people aged around 25, I consider my self ancient when it comes to tech. These younger folk, only 8 or so years younger than me have grown up on computers, the internet, and everything else that comes along with it (heck most 2 year olds, it seems, have spent more time on an ipdad than me!!). I think they look at the world quite differently in this respect and I believe many wouldnt think twice about getting sky, they would just sit down and watch it on their ipads. For them it's a piece of cake to trick the servers into thinking their IP is based in the US so they can view content which should be geographically restricted, block out all the adds, search and find all the best streams.... Me...8 years down the track, struggle to even talk about these concepts with any confidence on an internet forum .

Im sure there are many older folk (33+) who know exactly what they are doing, BUT this internet generation is a different breed IMHO and if Sky can't figure out how to capture their dollar Im not sure they are a great long term hold.

EDIT: By the way, good to see SKy has cleared things up by providing a bit of detail on the EPL issue for shareholders and customers alike:
    Continuous Disclosure Announcement
    For immediate release, 19 June 2013
    SKY confirms it has not been successful in its bid for the EPL rights for the coming season.
    end

Maybe they will enlighten us all a bit more later, who knows....
    All rather interesting actually......the term..buy and hold is not a successful strategy with media stocks that are slow to adapt and are subject to being affected by the accelerating rate of change within the technology area..The big question ..Is the monopolistic structured style SKY agile enough to keep pace with change and the increasing numbers of niche competitors

I listened to that SKY bloke on Radio Sport this morning...he mentioned the fact that the EPL was at the bottom of the top 10 watched list and admitted it was a blow losing the rights to air but it was no where near anything serious for SKY...
    The interesting thing that came out of the interview was the fact that purchased rights have to aired on a TV channel in England by law, as a result of new bidders such as Telco's entering the scene..however in NZ which is a small country the rights are brought via the English League through a broker then to the highest bidder...as long as the EPL get their money they are happy..what the highest bidder does with the rights is up to them as it has been bought through a third party...It seems whoever got it (Coliseum?) has NZ backers....one rumour mentioned on radio sport this morning was it was bought with the Asian market in mind and it could be on a pay to view TV channel using Sky's Platform or maybe with wishful thinking aired on the Freeview platform via a financial backer..Unfortunately this was mentioned after the Interview with the SKY Guy so I didn't hear about his thoughts on this.

In any case......a wake up call for SKY ..eh?
    Last edited by Hoop; 19-06-2013 at 12:32 PM.

percy

At one time SKY lost the rights to Formula 1.I wanted to cancel our SKY subscription, but my wife would not let me ,as she liked the old films.
    Will be interesting to see how many EPL supporters wear the pants in their household.ie what numbers will SKY lose?

percy

Yeah I heard that comment a few minutes ago. I am a bit skeptical of how reflective that comment really is. EPL is played in the small hours of the morning in NZ so naturally they wont get as many live views as sports played during prime time NZ hours. I work a lot with data and my skepticism relates to how they quantify these ratings rankings? You can twist things quite a lot (if you want to) depending on how you interpret the data.

As a sports fan (and one that doesnt really watch EPL at all) I would be incredibly surprised if EPL is as low as 10 out of competitions/sports that people buy their Sky package for.

1 Rugby
    2 Rugby League
    3 Cricket
    then what?? I'd say football and EPL for all intense purposes is football. I doubt many people buy Sky for Netball, AFL, or any of the US sports.
    I think you should add Golf and Tennis to that list.

Guru

Just heard on Radio Sport that there are rumours that TVNZ could get the rights to screen the EPL. That would be interesting wouldnt it.

Advanced Member

http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/?g...FUVKpgodzWEA5w

I watch more british tv than nz. You just need to get virtual network which gives you a UK ip address. it works perfectly .been with them a few years.
    then you can use bbc i player itv player and channel 4 player to watch any uk prog you want, most about a year before they appear on sky

percy

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Just heard on Radio Sport that there are rumours that TVNZ could get the rights to screen the EPL. That would be interesting wouldnt it.
    Yes that will/would be very interesting.
    The fun will be seeing how they make it pay.5mins ads to 3mins soccer?
    I tried watching Formula 1 on Aussie free TV [channel 9 I think] and gave up because of the ads.
    Good luck lads.!!
    Last edited by percy; 19-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    hope not ,they would ruin iit, they would purchase a highlight package at best