sharetrader
Page 21 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531711215211021 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    EPL on its own is not a significant loss.

What it is is a sign of things to come so any content SKY do secure, has just become more expensive.
    Or cheaper if the new guys can't make EPL pay.
    $25, $150,or $240 is going to be a test.
    If they have outbid SKY, who have the delivery channels in place, they are going to have their work cut out making it pay.
    Will not do the game any good here in NZ.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Or cheaper if the new guys can't make EPL pay.
    $25, $150,or $240 is going to be a test.
    If they have outbid SKY, who have the delivery channels in place, they are going to have their work cut out making it pay.
    Will not do the game any good here in NZ.
    Your missing the pointt, the new guys dont care about NZ ,small population, few hundred thousand subscribers at best. They after the asian market, indonesia etc where they football crazy.
    All us kiwis will sign up only to discover that our third world infrastructure means we hsave to watch blocky,jerky pictures rather than the high quality hd that the asians with there faster internet will enjoy.
    The site owners wont care as we will already paid our 150 bucks. While we will end up not bothering to watch as it will be more ttrouble than its worth
    Last edited by ratkin; 19-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Your missing the pointt, the new guys dont care about NZ ,small population, few hundred thousand subscribers at best. They after the asian market, indonesia etc where they football crazy.
    All us kiwis will sign up only to discover that our third world infrastructure means we hsave to watch blocky,jerky pictures rather than the high quality hd that the asians with there faster internet will enjoy.
    The site owners wont care as we will already paid our 150 bucks. While we will end up not bothering to watch as it will be more ttrouble than its worth
    Yes you are right that I missed the point.
    Not good for you keen EPL fans.
    So there was no point in SKY bidding?
    Last edited by percy; 19-06-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Yes you are right that I missed the point.
    Not good for you keen EPL fans.
    So there was no point in SKY bidding?
    And the worst thing of all is that most kiwis wont even care, or even find it funny. Until it happens to something they love. Except of course it wouldnt happen to rugby, the govt would never allow it.

percy

And the worst thing of all is that most kiwis wont even care, or even find it funny. Until it happens to something they love. Except of course it wouldnt happen to rugby, the govt would never allow it.
    Again I am sorry that I have to agree with you.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs down Contains many factual inaccuracies and unsubstantiated opinions

Ah, but we are talking about the people who have bought the broadcast rights for NZ, and they paid money for it, and they will want to recover that and make a profit.

And as somebody who has lived in various parts of Asia over the last few years (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and currently Indonesia) then I can tell you that it is a wonderfully diverse region and that in a lot of it the Internet is slow, unreliable and by local wages, expensive.

Of course with it being a three year deal then if you get bad service you won't renew your subscription and they will go phut!

The Asians do like soccer though.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    Ah, but we are talking about the people who have bought the broadcast rights for NZ, and they paid money for it, and they will want to recover that and make a profit.

And as somebody who has lived in various parts of Asia over the last few years (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and currently Indonesia) then I can tell you that it is a wonderfully diverse region and that in a lot of it the Internet is slow, unreliable and by local wages, expensive.

Of course with it being a three year deal then if you get bad service you won't renew your subscription and they will go phut!

The Asians do like soccer though.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Really????????? You will see how factually inaccurate it is once the season begins

Sparky The Clown Have fibre in the street but connection is over two years away. So it would not be any help if I wanted to view the football.
    Possum The Cat

Guru

did they get the rights to Asian as well?

Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    What's the evidence you have to make that claim CJ? Not that I disagree with you, just don't see the evidence to agree with you either.
    none. Just the rumour I am hearing

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post
    Remember that we now have fibre for potential subscribers. If people are prepared to move from basic sky UHF set top boxes to Sky Digital, to mySkyHD with build in HDD recorders, then people will happily upgrade from ASDL2 to fibre. Especially if they downgrade their Sky plan to help fund a higher broadband plan.

Some thoughts:

1. Imagine what happens when this new outfit can stream movies and other sports to end users. Sky will be murdered.

2. It was around a year ago that the ComCom was investigating SkyTV for having anti-competitive relationships with broadband providers. SkyTV saw the threat coming down the line, and tried to pre-empt it, but obviously stymied. Whether this is a good thing or not, I'm not sure. Personally I thought the ComCom was over the top and suffers from creep into new areas, but others may have different views.

The old rule I heard was "never buy into a business that can be disrupted by the internet". I think we just saw the power of that statement today.
    You've got it in one.

Remember: The quick eat the slow. In this game it is often the incumbent who is unseated by new technologies or the emergence of markets that they never saw coming. Some of these emerging competitors are already securing deals to commission new original content with popular studios, e.g. The Netflix & Dreamworks deal.

Even the Government can see this coming - that's the reason why the official UFB build guides encourage at least two RG6 coax and plenty of CAT6 network cable outlets situated next to the optical network termination point in the home.

It's not necessarily doom and gloom for Sky though. There are immense profitable opportunities ahead for them, but they need to immediately capitalise on the new delivery technologies and ensure that previously loyal subscribers don't stray.