sharetrader
Page 217 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1171672072132142152162172182192202212272673177171217 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Well Sport still won't be allowed under Level 3. Level 3 goes for at least 2 weeks (until midnight 11 May). If we drop to Level 2 from then I am highly confident that there will be some local Super Rugby derby matches to look forward to. If NZ and Aus governments agree to trans-tasman travel soon, then even more possibilities could open up.

But it will all hinge on how long we are in Level 3 for. So even though Sky and NZRU are no doubt working on 'the plan' right now, and engaging with the government etc...they will want to announce something when they are sure it is going to happen.

Let's hope Kiwis still follow the rules so that we don't have a spike in cases over the next couple of weeks. If we ended up in L3 for a protracted period of time then we could soon get to the point that the rest of 2020 is a write off in terms of rugby.
    I am not sure there will be sport at level 2 MT. This is from the govts own website:

Range of measures (can be applied locally or nationally)
    Physical distancing of 1 metre outside the home (including on public transport).
    Sport and recreation activities are allowed if conditions on gatherings are met, physical distancing is followed and travel is local.

https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system...2%80%93-reduce
    That would rule out all contact sports and most others such as netball, basketball etc. I know our tennis will only be starting again once we are in level 1. But hopefully we will move quickly from level 2 to 1.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I am not sure there will be sport at level 2 MT. This is from the govts own website:

Physical distancing of 1 metre outside the home (including on public transport).
    Sport and recreation activities are allowed if conditions on gatherings are met, physical distancing is followed and travel is local.

https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system...2%80%93-reduce
    That would rule out all contact sports and most others such as netball, basketball etc. I know our tennis will only be starting again once we are in level 1. But hopefully we will move quickly from level 2 to 1.
    I think the physical distancing relates more to the crowds/spectators?

My understanding was that at L2 you could at a minimum have the sports being played in empty stadiums?

That reads to me as though you could possibly have spectators so long as physical distancing was implemented?

Guru

I think the physical distancing relates more to the crowds/spectators?

My understanding was that at L2 you could at a minimum have the sports being played in empty stadiums?

That reads to me as though you could possibly have spectators so long as physical distancing was implemented?
    My understanding of it differs from yours. Read the govt website. I am sure they will not make exceptions on an ad hoc basis.

Our tennis does not start till we are in level 1.

If I read the list below, there is no doubt in my mind that organised sport will not be carried out in level 2. (happy to be proven wrong on that though)

Gatherings of up to 100 people indoors and 500 outdoors allowed while maintaining physical distancing and contact tracing requirements.
    Public venues can open but must comply with conditions on gatherings, and undertake public health measures.
    Health services operate as normally as possible.
    Most businesses open, and business premises can be open for staff and customers with appropriate measures in place. Alternative ways of working are encouraged, such as remote working, shift-based working, physical distancing, staggering meal breaks, flexible leave.
    Schools and Early Childhood Education centres open, with distance learning available for those unable to attend school, such as people self-isolating.
    People advised to avoid non-essential inter-regional travel.
    People at high risk of severe illness (older people and those with existing medical conditions) are encouraged to stay at home where possible, and take additional precautions when leaving home. They may choose to work.
    Last edited by blackcap; 25-04-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Advanced Member

It's a strange situation as Australia are rushing ahead while NZ is being extra defensive.

I doubt sport will happen in level 3 - it's only two weeks anyway.

However, I see discussions maybe starting in late May with a start date in June as a possibility.

Having said that, I think the free Sky movies and old sport re-runs are working fine. Customers aren't ready for sport and are happy watching something different in the lockdown. Why rush sub-par sporting events with no audience? It's lame. When sport restarts again you want it to be an exciting.

If sport doesn't restart by September, then that might be a problem but things are fine for now.

Guru

Gatherings of up to 100 people indoors and 500 outdoors allowed while maintaining physical distancing and contact tracing requirements.
    Public venues can open but must comply with conditions on gatherings, and undertake public health measures.
    Just reading through the list you provided and focussed on the bit quoted above.

What am I missing here blackcap? To me that reads as though sport is allowed provided the conditions on gatherings are met. I believe the 'physical distancing' refers to the gatherings... not the sport participants?

I am 'pretty sure' that we will see a return of sport in Level 2, with restrictions.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    I doubt sport will happen in level 3 - it's only two weeks anyway.
    Definitely no sport under L3. The question seems to be whether or not it will be allowed when we drop to L2. I believe it will be.

Why rush sub-par sporting events with no audience? It's lame. When sport restarts again you want it to be an exciting.
    Sure, in an 'ideal world' we would be able to launch back into live Super Rugby with crowds in attendance etc. The viewer experience from home is not as good when the stands are empty.

But that is probably not realistic, given where we are now. There are going to be big restrictions on crowd gatherings for some time I think.

But at the end of the day, the sporting bodies need to salvage whatever they can this year and Sky TV needs to get some live sporting events happening as soon as they can. Most people are pretty Zen about continuing to pay their sport subs while they get free Movies etc and we are all locked down. Once we hit L2 though and a lot of freedom of movement is restored and people aren't completely stuck at home I imagine they will begin to question why they are paying for a Sky Sport sub if there is no new and live sport to watch.

So even though it is far from 'ideal', Sky will be relieved to get something going as a starting point - even if it means empty stadiums to begin with.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 26-04-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Guru

Just reading through the list you provided and focussed on the bit quoted above.

What am I missing here blackcap? To me that reads as though sport is allowed provided the conditions on gatherings are met. I believe the 'physical distancing' refers to the gatherings... not the sport participants?

I am 'pretty sure' that we will see a return of sport in Level 2, with restrictions.
    We are just interpreting it differently, I interpret it to mean that all participants including those playing sports will have to follow physical distancing. I could be wrong. I take my cue from our tennis comp which will only commence under level 1. And tennis is pretty good at distancing at the best of times.

Advanced Member

We are just interpreting it differently, I interpret it to mean that all participants including those playing sports will have to follow physical distancing. I could be wrong. I take my cue from our tennis comp which will only commence under level 1. And tennis is pretty good at distancing at the best of times.
    Just lol, who would wait for level 1. All this "level" stuff is crap anyway.

I walked past the Navy barracks this morning and I saw at least 75 people playing sport this morning - no joke. One group was playing touch the other was doing volley ball. I assume they're all in one big "bubble" as they are living together and doing training at the army base. But still, the point is that unless there's a massive outbreak again it won't be long until things are back to normal.

Guru

Just lol, who would wait for level 1. All this "level" stuff is crap anyway.

l.
    Totally agree with you. Drove past a cop when I in theory was driving in an area I had no real reason to be in. Cop just looked at me and did nothing.

But that aside, sporting bodies will be looking to toe the government line and as such will wait for "level 1" whenever that may be, before competitive sports starts up again.

Advanced Member

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/golf/1...-opening-looms

Golf and tennis will be the first sports to emerge from Level four lockdown, with stir-crazy golfers set to tee off from early Tuesday morning.