sharetrader
Page 22 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632721225221022 ... LastLast

The winning bidder has picked the ideal sport to pick on. EPL fans and football fans generally are very passionate about their sport and will pay the necessary dollars to make this worthwhile. There is no comparison between a rugby crowd and a football crowd....

Pardon my imposition, but since when has all Asia been part of New Zealand?

I read they have bought the NZ rights, right?

I'd imagine the price for NZ rights might be in the millions, maybe very low tens of millions, but certainly not hundreds of millions that the discussion seems to seek to justify by going semi-global

I have nothing else to add to the discussion, being over 55 years old........

My biased opinion and not based on facts:

Losing EPL right to broadcast is bad for sky - yes, of course but football is one of several popular sports and certainly not the most popular in NZ. In NZ it is rugby, rugby and rugby. EPL is at an odd time for NZ and I don't know how many people actually watch it live!

I do not watch EPL but I am interested in Olympics and cricket and top up on a regular basis to watch certain large events - ASHES cricket for eg. I do not subscribe for sports channel and do it only as and when required which suits me well.

I am just one of the four people in my household and none of the others in my family are even concerned or bothered about sky losing EPL rights! They have other programmes to watch other than sports! I will be on the firing line if I cancel my basic sky subscription for sure. So cancelling sky subscription is not an option for me even if I was an avid EPL fan! I would still have to pay extra to view it from other sources if I was an EPL fan.

Internet invading television business - the story of the demise of TV and SKY is greatly exaggerated I think!

upgraded to vdsl this week using 2talk who i went voip with last year . They have vdsl available starting at $85.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RRR View Post
    I am just one of the four people in my household and none of the others in my family are even concerned or bothered about sky losing EPL rights! They have other programmes to watch other than sports! I will be on the firing line if I cancel my basic sky subscription for sure. So cancelling sky subscription is not an option for me even if I was an avid EPL fan! I would still have to pay extra to view it from other sources if I was an EPL fan.
    Once you can easily stream movies to your TV on a pay per view and can get HBO (Soho) on line too (or whatever your family members watch), will you cancel you Sky sub then.

This wont impact them this year but look out 10 years, their current business model (Dish on 80% of NZ houses and Sky boxs (ie paying customers) in 50% of houses) will be dead. Doesn't mean they wont reinvent and we will all be watching sky channels on an app installed on your TV plugged into the internet - but that has costs and risks.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

percy

Wife tells me about the most watched program on SKY is Dad's Army.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Wife tells me about the most watched program on SKY is Dad's Army.
    Buy her the DVD of trade me - will save you a fortune.

Guru

http://gizmodo.com/apple-tv-just-got...espn-514275051

HBO and ESPN now avaliable on Apple TV- the future is here*!

* here if you live in the US, and have huge/no datacaps

The media is really talking up the chance that Sky will lose more sports over time. I see the share price is still feeling the body blows in trading today but, in a country like NZ, unless they lose the rugby, what we're seeing in trading this morning could be just overselling. Wait a bit more then get in there!

percy

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Buy her the DVD of trade me - will save you a fortune.
    We can watch it together.
    No she heard that on the radio this morning that Dad's Army was about the most watched program on SKY.