sharetrader
Page 23 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733731235231023 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by False Profit View Post
    The media is really talking up the chance that Sky will lose more sports over time. I see the share price is still feeling the body blows in trading today but, in a country like NZ, unless they lose the rugby, what we're seeing in trading this morning could be just overselling. Wait a bit more then get in there!
    Yes, but as we are already pointed out, try telling the wife you are going to stop your SKY subscription.!!!???
    After all said and done,there's more said, than done">!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Guru

The Refrigeration revolution changed the nature of business throughout the world as did Electricity...now its the Internet changing the nature of business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why...=mw_home_kiosk
    Last edited by Hoop; 20-06-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Well put...and it is not just sports. I was introduced to this site the other day http://documentaryheaven.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    Exactly! I don't know anyone under the age of 27 who pays for video content; Movies, TV shows, music, documentaries, sport.... it's all there for free!
    us oldies are only just 'getting with the program'

It is not just about the cost. Two key attributes in this are the convenience and quality. Both improved hugely with contents on Internet. SKY is just like Kodak. Its business model is dated and unless they start with something new, they will be history. But either way, their business outlook is not great.

percy

Thank you posters for your interesting well thought out posts.
    As the "moat" has had the water drained, and it has been filled in,I decided to sell my shares.

Guru

Yeah this is huge news for Steven Adams and for NZ sports fans. I mean to get picked number 12 in the draft. There are literally tens of thousands of American kids going for the NBA and here a little old NZ'er from Rotorua gets to play with the best. OKC is a great team too and as turmeric said, there will be plenty of kiwis willing to watch the Oklahoma games. I beleive you can buy a sub at nba.com! Again via the net. It really is the future of broadcasting. When I was overseas from 2006- recently I watched AB's games online and a lot of Super 15 that way too. As all the tennis I watch is streamed.
    But then you come to NZ and are opposed by this foreign thing called "data cap". NZ must be the only developed country to even have something this archaic and bizarre?
    But Sky need to change with the times. Didnt they a few years back offer SKy via the pc/net if you were a subscriber only to "can" it later as they realised that ppl could not pay the data usage?

Quote Originally Posted by turmeric View Post
    So with Steven Adams drafted 12 today and a truckload of Kiwi's converted into OKC supporters, what are Sky TV's rights to the NBA? Will we be able to watch all of OKC's games live on TV or are Sky restricted to the few games a week they usually air?

EDIT: Massive sporting achievement by the way - forget about the money which all the mainstream NZ media seem to be obsessed with. Adams has the potential to be the most well-known Kiwi athlete globally IF he works his butt off and makes it over there.

You would be risking a bit if you were you to pick up all the rights to OKC games. I have been an OKC fan since they were ther Sonics under George Karl with Gary the "Glove" and "The man with 13 kids" Shawn Kemp. From what I have been reading on a few sites, the draft pick they inherited via the Harden trade with Houston was always going to be looked at as trade material. Imagine if Someone bought the rights and he was traded - yikes!

Stoked for Adams though - huge achievement! Hope he can stay injury free, an athletic big man is worth their wait in gold.

Veteran novice

Good discussion lately for us less tech-literate types. From my semi-informed position I can see that life is going to be much harder for SKT in future so have lightened up my position there. It's been a very good stock to me over the years, going back to parent INL days.

No doubt Tumeric, you are right that this should spike interest levels in the NBA. Especially if he gets regular game time which unfortunately Marks didn't get - great in the blow outs. I sold out of SKY a couple of months back, and glad I did. I was always suspicious of the "Fibre" age. Went to a few conferences on Fibre a couple of years back and they spoke about the increase of 'on demand' TV in the States for the busy world we live in - people don't want to be restricted to schedules anymore. Always had that in the back of my mind.

In regards to the NBA and SKY, I am not sure of the contract they have. Like the Champions League it is all through ESPN. I would say that they have no control over the games they get and it would be relatively cheap. I lived in Japan for five years, there you would buy channels dedicated to sports. I had the NBA pass and loved the fact you could get a game a day at the very least. Especially as OKC were just a minor team then and didn't appear on the big networks. I am guessing you are right that this development (Adams) could see increased competition for the rights. A dedicated team pass would be risky though.