sharetrader
Page 29 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339791295291029 ... LastLast

How many of you guys are short SKT as a matter of interest? I shorted them myself some weeks ago with IG Markets - quite happy to hold for over a year for the tax benefits if it should turn out to be a slow downtrend, though there's a good chance it could fall sharply during a market downtrend or any piece of bad news since it's been showing such clear weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGekko View Post
    I predict Netflix will be wildly successful because it's already been successful. Having it available here legitimately will only boost its profile & ISP's will begin to offer 1 click region switching which bypass the "pesky" content restrictions -- Not much of a prediction as this is what they're already doing.
    I think the NZ version of Netflix will add new customers who can't be bothered with the current complexities of regional switching, while those techno-savvy early adopters will chose to remain on the US/UK versions of Netflix due to their larger back-catalogue of content.

Firstly, Netflix is very reliable without any form of CDN (Content Delivery Network). Of the 10+ people I know who use Netflix, I can't recall anyone ever saying to me "that bloody Netflix is buffering all the time". I cannot find the quote, but there was an article quoting the Netflix CEO as being surprised how well it worked down here. This is without any (to my knowledge at least) ny CDN / Caching nodes in NZ.
    Netflix use two methods for content distribution: direct peering with selected ISPs, and using a traditional CDN of which there are no (as you've noted) nodes currently in NZ. Peering discussion are apparently underway.

The way I see it SKT has one thing: Sports (Rugby) - they did have the EPL, until they lost these rights & I expect they'll be keen to get it back next year when the rights are up again. This is their strength and what they are good at. Competing against a juggernaut like Netflix? With their current strategy and track record I cannot see them winning that one and consider it a losing battle.
    Agreed. SKT have their work cut out for them competing against the streaming providers. Netflix are also lobbying for a change to the content licencing system whereby they can purchase world-wide rights to content. That would make things exceptionally difficult for regional players, who would be forced to either merge or join together to purchase rights as a group.

Big big fail

game of thrones live simulcast with hbo not working

as one punter says even the pirates can do better

many pissed of fans / big event for the year a disaster

big big fail

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Big big fail

game of thrones live simulcast with hbo not working

as one punter says even the pirates can do better

many pissed of fans / big event for the year a disaster

big big fail
    what's up? What have I missed? It is on neon and soho tonight. Should it have been earlier?
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

El Toro~

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    what's up? What have I missed? It is on neon and soho tonight. Should it have been earlier?

First 4 episodes of GoT leaked, granted it's not in HD. So I'll be holding out to watch it on SOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    It was meant to be on at 1 PM .....the same time it went live in the States

SoHo BIG BIG fail

Online is all the rage now. Online content is HUGE then there's so much on you tube, forums such as this one and as many others as you care to get involved with e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c. SKY will go into slow decline as more and more people cut the cord on their over-rated and grossly over-priced satellite service.

We had sky multiroom, sport, movies and My sky+...its simply not worth the $120 a month we were paying for more years than I care to remember so a couple of weeks ago I made a good common sense decision (after consulting my wife of course) Got the light box service free for 12 months because we're spark customers so I'll have a look at that when / if I get bored enough and maybe sign up for Netflix too in due course.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-04-2015 at 01:44 PM.

El Toro~

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    It was meant to be on at 1 PM .....the same time it went live in the States

SoHo BIG BIG fail

source

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...premiere-fails

Advanced Member

Very annoying, been looking forward to this for ages, still have the message asking people to stay on the channel Why? They clearly not going to show it now before 8.30

Quote Originally Posted by dingoNZ View Post
    Winter ain't coming yet then But I'm sure someone out there will share me an HD copy of it once it's broadcasted tonight.