sharetrader
Page 294 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1942442842902912922932942952962972983043443947941294 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 14174

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    In the space of a day the discussion has moved from "irrational exuberance" to philosophical thoughts about human nature and intrinsic value.
    That's why my mate at the LSE is finding this thread so fascinating ...one of the best pieces of raw material for his students to study that he has come across for some time
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That's why my mate at the LSE is finding this thread so fascinating ...one of the best pieces of raw material for his students to study that he has come across for some time
    What is that? How to manipulate minds?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    No doubt he will be able to slot this in as a useful cautionary tale while he is ramming Efficient Market Theory down their young throats

I think that most people participating on the banter on this forum with all the speculation of a takeover are not actually acting on this 'information'. It would be nuts to buy or sell SKT shares right now based on some guys with handles like 'Ogg', 'mistaTea' and 'Quantative Easing' discussing the FOR SURE IMMINENT TAKEOVER of sky tv.

Nobody here seems to have any insider information, and we will just have to wait and see. Still, one can be excused for thinking Sky is a good takeover target at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    No doubt he will be able to slot this in as a useful cautionary tale while he is ramming Efficient Market Theory down their young throats

I think that most people participating on the banter on this forum with all the speculation of a takeover are not actually acting on this 'information'. It would be nuts to buy or sell SKT shares right now based on some guys with handles like 'Ogg', 'mistaTea' and 'Quantative Easing' discussing the FOR SURE IMMINENT TAKEOVER of sky tv.

Nobody here seems to have any insider information, and we will just have to wait and see. Still, one can be excused for thinking Sky is a good takeover target at the moment.
    One can learn more about markets and market behaviour on Hotcopper than at an institution like LSE..

Advanced Member

If the take over doesn't happen by tomorrow, I'm going to have egg on my face.

The Infratil retail document is being released tomorrow. That has to contain more details about how they are going to spend the money. They can't leave out the details and then make a major announcement a few days later, otherwise the document will be legally void. They will either have to wait until the retail placement is finished or withdraw it mid way through and release another updated one.

Tomorrow's the day boys. Otherwise I'm not posting here again until it happens.

Guru

This is part of the May 29 IFT transcript:

Forsyth Barr :"Just one follow-up question from me. In terms of Vodafone and its relationship with Sky TV and the reselling, we -- obviously, we've seen Sky TV announce that it's going into broadband. Are you expecting any sort of change in the relationship with Sky TV and the reselling of their product?"

Marko
    Bogoievski, Infratil Limited - CEO & Director : "I mean possibly. I think the relationship is still warm. But obviously, Sky has got sort of a number of significant issues, right? They're probably not so worried about Vodafone at the moment when they've got other more important matters. I mean we'd like to keep working with them on a commercial basis. I think they also talked about offering a mobile service, right? So we could be a wholesale provider of some of those services. But I think, yes, the days of the sort of the straight retail arrangement are probably numbered, right? But that -- those conversations are ahead of us. They haven't happened."

Certainly does not scream out that Marko is planning to buy the company. But then it is hard to think where they go from there with their current Sky TV relationship...without Sky TV, the Vodafone TV product is not very good. It is the Sky TV component that makes it compelling versus, say, Apple TV.

If the relationship they have with them sours because Sky enter Broadband and become a strong competitor...and if the wholesale arrangement ended, I would personally prefer to go back to my AppleTV 4K. All Vodafone TV would be is a STB that allows me to house some of my apps.

From that perspective, there are superior offerings in the market.

So then we get back to the whole "Gosh, it would just make so much more sense for them to buy Sky". But then Sky TV is not really the kind of asset they would typically buy. Would seem like a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 11-06-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Woah, some peeps here were genuine in their T/O talk? I thought we were all having a laugh.

Why on earth would someone buy SKY immediately after a MASSIVE, highly dilutive share issue at 12c? You think the buyer is feeling charitable?

Also, selling broadband on its own is VERY low margin. With Sky it makes sense because of triple play and churn, but Spark, VF etc all have their own bundles anyway. It will help somewhat, but it's not revolutionary anymore.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Woah, some peeps here were genuine in their T/O talk? I thought we were all having a laugh.

Why on earth would someone buy SKY immediately after a MASSIVE, highly dilutive share issue at 12c? You think the buyer is feeling charitable?

Also, selling broadband on its own is VERY low margin. With Sky it makes sense because of triple play and churn, but Spark, VF etc all have their own bundles anyway. It will help somewhat, but it's not revolutionary anymore.

Come on now, don't be cheeky. We may not wake up tomorrow with news that IFT are going to treat us all to payments of ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

But it is only post SKT CR that the Broadband entry has been confirmed (which potentially changes things for the likes of IFT - who just forked out $1.7B to buy Vodafone. Not ideal for that asset to become less valuable because another credible entrant is joining the broadband market).

It may not be likely that IFT and Brookfield have picked this as the moment to purchase Sky...but I don't think that the idea that they might do that is completely lunatic.

I don't think anyone on this forum needs to feel embarrassed if no takeover materialises - it was a perfectly valid scenario to pontificate on

I have certainly enjoyed the discussion and speculation around the merits of such a purchase

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post

But it is only post SKT CR that the Broadband entry has been confirmed
    I think this answer's Balance's question.

It's likely IFT have had their eye on SKT for some time but when that broadband announcement came it likely changed the entire situation. Hence the rushed placement and all guns blazing take over / merger.

Advanced Member

I've put another $10k order on market. Infratil please save me!