sharetrader
Page 3 of 1417 FirstFirst 123456713531035031003 ... LastLast
    Banned

Warren Buffet said “short term market is a voting machine long term it is a weighing machine”.

Guru

quote:Originally posted by Placebo
    24 hour news channel: Will be mainly local content with bulletins on the hour (comment: there isn't enough news to fill 1 1-hour bulletin a day at present -- how to fill 24??)

NZ Herald reported (without denial from TVNZ) that there will be a high proportion of repeats on the digital platform.

There will still be a cost barrier (albeit low -- about $200 to buy the decoder).
    re news: your not meant to watch it for 24 hours. You meant be be able to watch if for say 1 hour a day (but any hour you want).

Re repeats: My flat mates pretty much only watch repeats of Friends (digital channel in the UK). drives me made but they are happy.

Re decoder: All TV will include them shortly. With NZ being one of the last countries to go digital, this is a great benefit.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

CJ: Good points. TV has been around for 50+ years so there are whole generations who think Hogan's Heroes and Mash are the most original, cutting edge TV they have ever seen. How many channels of repeats are there, marketed as "UK Gold" etc etc (and yes, even whole radio stations -- I am a Hauraki fan!)

Decoders: I am wondering if once the digital platform is up and running the `other' type of transmission will drop -- i.e. if you want to watch TV of any sort you will need a set-top box.

In any case, my original view stands: None of this is a threat to Sky!
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

Banned

quote:Originally posted by pimpit

why buy or sell on other people advise, put the numbers on warren buffet formula....simple...as per WB formula I value this stock at 410c
    You are doing just that and using WB's advice.

Banned

quote:Originally posted by djones

You are doing just that and using WB's advice.
    djones: don’t be so nosey, metro’s investment advice newsletter is $105 per year, 1 share in Berkshire Hathaway Inc is over 100,000.00

http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcd...ml?ticker=BRKA

When I started this thread on 30.10.2006 the price was $5.55. Today the stock is up another 14c with last sale at $6.49

A nice 17% gain in less than 2 months!! Enjoying the run.
    metro / Sky Tower

See sky tv have a promo going , Is this a indication of a tough environment ahead for discretionary spending and perhaps exsisting subscribers not renewing because of reduced income?
    one step ahead of the herd

Cool So What

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    See sky tv have a promo going , Is this a indication of a tough environment ahead for discretionary spending and perhaps exsisting subscribers not renewing because of reduced income?
    THEY always have a promo going so what is NEW..

They are just releasing their hd product...not surprising they are doing some marketing...

Advanced Member

Have often considered buying this stock but never pulled the trigger.
    As a long term investor i like to look to the future and to be honest it seems rather murky where sky is concerned.

The big worry is the internet , not only is it taking over from tv in terms of leisure activity of choice it also potentially could take over the actual programe deliver.

Add in a recession where many people will be forced to choose between sky or their internet due to financial worries and you could well see a stagnation in subscriber numbers.

I know which i would get rid of first and it wouldnt be my internet connection