sharetrader
Page 30 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440801305301030 ... LastLast

This is so funny. I don't even understand how this consumption model still exists.
    I guess only due to the likely average age of its consumers.

... the beginning of the end??

I myself, like all of my peers will download the torrent, and continue to wait for legitimate options that have deep and wide access to content that's as easy to get as doing it illegally is.

If you haven't seen it already;
    www.nitflux.co.nz - its pretty clever
    Last edited by Mista_Trix; 13-04-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: sp

Advanced Member

Just watched it, its available over at http://couchtuner.eu.com, quality was fine
    Last edited by ratkin; 13-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Online is all the rage now. Online content is HUGE then there's so much on you tube, forums such as this one and as many others as you care to get involved with e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c. SKY will go into slow decline as more and more people cut the cord on their over-rated and grossly over-priced satellite service.

We had sky multiroom, sport, movies and My sky+...its simply not worth the $120 a month we were paying for more years than I care to remember so a couple of weeks ago I made a good common sense decision (after consulting my wife of course) Got the light box service free for 12 months because we're spark customers so I'll have a look at that when / if I get bored enough and maybe sign up for Netflix too in due course.
    Couldn't agree more. I set up Netflix around 1 year ago now and we almost never watch sky anymore because the content on Netflix is so much better. I kept the sky subscription because I wanted to watch the cricket, but I note that is also available online via ESPN. I'd imagine they'll have the rugby world cup too.

Wish there was a way I could short SKT. The current cash cow of monthly subscriptions will prevent them from coming up with innovative ways to beat new competition. Its obvious that they know this but are unwilling to turn off the cash cow tap which will lead to a continuous decline in market share.

They either need to take some short term pain and completely change their business model or die by a 1000 cuts. Either way, short to medium term, it looks like their share price will decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Wish there was a way I could short SKT.
    You can short the ASX Listed SKT.AX CFD on Ig.com
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

Wish there was a way I could short SKT. The current cash cow of monthly subscriptions will prevent them from coming up with innovative ways to beat new competition. Its obvious that they know this but are unwilling to turn off the cash cow tap which will lead to a continuous decline in market share.

They either need to take some short term pain and completely change their business model or die by a 1000 cuts. Either way, short to medium term, it looks like their share price will decline.
    Have a read
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...thrones-glitch

They not changing because John says so .......Asked whether the problem will have caused problems for Sky TV in the fierce competition for viewers, Fellet said: "no one else is doing what we're doing".

Me thinks he is well aware of competition and he has no idea how to combat it. SKT is well through its business life cycle and they will continue to milk that cow with annual 5% price increase to boost shareholder returns in the short term until the whole house of cards implodes.

Membaa

Customer apathy is a powerful strategy, especially while building new capability to compete in the online market. SKT won't just fall off a cliff, though it may decline unless it figures out where the non-apathetic demand for content is coming from.

If it wasn't for Super15 and a stranglehold on rugby, it'd be gone in this household, and countless others I suspect.

Me thinks he is well aware of competition and he has no idea how to combat it. SKT is well through its business life cycle and they will continue to milk that cow with annual 5% price increase to boost shareholder returns in the short term until the whole house of cards implodes.
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 13-04-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typos

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    interesting to note the farming channel was an extra pay to view channel on sky but is now free as part of the basic package. Competition is good for consumers.
    We are on more than basic, but can't get the Country Channel (81)

Anecdotal evidence of complete market saturation / decline.

Sky to their credit the other day when I cancelled the service offered to come around and pick up the decoder box for free as the customer services lady noted the drop off point was on the other side of Auckland which wasn't my fault.
    The Sky technician arrived on time and seemed pleased I'd already disconnected the box and cords for him and in general pleasant chit chat I asked him how busy he was these days.
    Nothing like the old days mate but there's people moving house on a regular basis so there's a steady supply of that sort of work.

Sky as you all know now offer a $100 friend get friend programme where both parties benefit so they're paying top dollar for new customers if and when they can get them. I'd imagine most Gen X and Y just hit the torrents and can't be bothered with paying $100 or thereabouts a month.