sharetrader
Page 31 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541811315311031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Anecdotal evidence of complete market saturation / decline.

Sky to their credit the other day when I cancelled the service offered to come around and pick up the decoder box for free as the customer services lady noted the drop off point was on the other side of Auckland which wasn't my fault.
    The Sky technician arrived on time and seemed pleased I'd already disconnected the box and cords for him and in general pleasant chit chat I asked him how busy he was these days.
    Nothing like the old days mate but there's people moving house on a regular basis so there's a steady supply of that sort of work.

Sky as you all know now offer a $100 friend get friend programme where both parties benefit so they're paying top dollar for new customers if and when they can get them. I'd imagine most Gen X and Y just hit the torrents and can't be bothered with paying $100 or thereabouts a month.
    I'm also contemplating of just retaining the sport channel due to Rugby to save a bit from paying for those movie channels whose shows are well and truly available somewhere for free. Besides, I got Lightbox for free for the next 12 months. And my sons very very seldom touch the telly these days too but they're on the internet on every free time they have.

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    I'm also contemplating of just retaining the sport channel due to Rugby to save a bit from paying for those movie channels whose shows are well and truly available somewhere for free. Besides, I got Lightbox for free for the next 12 months. And my sons very very seldom touch the telly these days too but they're on the internet on every free time they have.
    Seems the trend with the young-un's..its all about social media now and the internet.

Like you I got the free Lightbox for 12 months, haven't used it yet. I had a quick look through what's available and was a little underwhelmed to be honest...pretty doubtful I'd pay for this in 12 months time unless content is dramatically expanded. What do you think of it mate ?

Seems the trend with the young-un's..its all about social media now and the internet.

Like you I got the free Lightbox for 12 months, haven't used it yet. I had a quick look through what's available and was a little underwhelmed to be honest...pretty doubtful I'd pay for this in 12 months time unless content is dramatically expanded. What do you think of it mate ?
    To be honest Roger, there is nothing on Lightbox that I would be seeing soon after seeing what's on offer. I just registered to use the voucher that was given to us earlier. But then again, I only like sci-fi and GOT

Sky as you all know now offer a $100 friend get friend programme where both parties benefit so they're paying top dollar for new customers if and when they can get them. I'd imagine most Gen X and Y just hit the torrents and can't be bothered with paying $100 or thereabouts a month.
    Along with a number of technical and pricing related changes, Sky need to boost their attempts to RETAIN customers. When you called them did they offer a deal to retain your business? I'm guessing not, because you'd be the first I've ever heard that happening to.

I have a raft of other ideas, which I've just added to the survey they sent me. If they choose to ignore most of these we'll be cancelling within the next few months.

To be honest Roger, there is nothing on Lightbox that I would be seeing soon after seeing what's on offer. I just registered to use the voucher that was given to us earlier. But then again, I only like sci-fi and GOT
    I've spent a bit of time looking through the titles and found quite a few series to watch, but of course everyone's tastes differs. There's not a lot for Sci-Fi fans at the moment.

We subscribed to Neflix US/UK early last year and although there was a huge range of titles, most was old and many disappeared when contracts expired with the studios.

So my new solution to this issue is to simply watch less TV! A radical solution, I know!

Thanks, I thought I must be going crazy there for a minute. If it wasn't free for 12 months no way I'd pay for Lightbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Along with a number of technical and pricing related changes, Sky need to boost their attempts to RETAIN customers. When you called them did they offer a deal to retain your business? I'm guessing not, because you'd be the first I've ever heard that happening to.

I have a raft of other ideas, which I've just added to the survey they sent me. If they choose to ignore most of these we'll be cancelling within the next few months.
    No mate, no attempt to retain. One size fits all seems to be their approach. Pricing is silly for what you get and honestly I don't miss it...I'd rather get content online and to be honest participating in good forums like this with intelligent investors is something that appeals more than watching some mindless show where actors with ego's the size of planets pretend they can act.

Advanced Member

What i cant understand is why Sky now has so many adverts which all advertise other programs. They might keep more viewers if they did away with them.
    Often i will start watching something and first advert i drift off to do something else.

People are quite capable of finding the programs they want to watch without having to see ads every ten minutes. If i want to watch Peaky blinders i will watch it , must have seen an ad for it 50 times this week already

percy

In total agreement.
    I have either given up,or forgotten what I was watching because of the ads,particulary for programs I will never watch.If I go to watch "worlds greatest motorcycling rides" that's what I want to watch.

Membaa

Good article in NBR today, as PayTV providers SP's getting smashed, new internet on-demand services growing, and some interesting viewer demographics info. Sorry, but the article is paywalled!!

As a recent convert to unlimited data, UFB internet, Netflix and Lightbox, along with all the familiar stuff like YouTube etc, my Sky TV subscription has been cancelled. SkyGO is a diseased mutt, an unworthy contender. No wonder Sky are pouring $100+m in to getting back to the future, but is it too late. I think so.

My transition experience was relatively painless, I'm saving roughly 66% in costs from my combined previous Internet, Telephone and Sky costs, and the whole family is enjoying tailored on-demand entertainment.

Disc: don't hold SKT.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Good article in NBR today, as PayTV providers SP's getting smashed, new internet on-demand services growing, and some interesting viewer demographics info. Sorry, but the article is paywalled!! .....
    A lot of NBR articles behind the paywall have a parallel audio stream via NBR Radio, covering much the same content. Including this article.

NBR Radio has a free version - simply streamed - and a bundled pay version which allows specific audio items to be selected and played.