sharetrader
Page 32 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642821325321032 ... LastLast

I can't believe SKT share price is holding up so well. At 13.5 PE, they are valued higher than banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    I can't believe SKT share price is holding up so well. At 13.5 PE, they are valued higher than banks.
    SKT is well below the NZX average PE. I think it's fair valued atm. The low future expectation is already reflected in SP.

The whole tv world is at the beginning of a giant shake up. I'm picking Sky will go the way of Nokia which is not reflected in the SP.

In the future, I would be looking at companies like facebook, netflix, apple to be the companies who will be providing us with tv content and we will be able to pick and choose what it is that we want to watch. To some extent we are there already, the only thing holding Sky up is the Sports channel.

In the future, I would be looking at companies like facebook, netflix, apple to be the companies who will be providing us with tv content
    Agree but Amazon might be a rising contender as well - especially if they are willing to pay $380 million NZD for the Top Gear Trio in an effort to broaden and increase the calibre of their 'talent'.

Quote Originally Posted by Regi View Post
    Agree but Amazon might be a rising contender as well - especially if they are willing to pay $380 million NZD for the Top Gear Trio in an effort to broaden and increase the calibre of their 'talent'.
    It will be interesting to see if those companies get into the sports world. ESPN could go direct to consumer, it certainly looks like they will eventually go that way.

The problem with existing networks (ESPN / Sky) is that they are slow moving and also want to protect what they have for as long as they can... Doing that allows a new player to enter the market and eat their lunch one bite at a time.

The problem with existing networks (ESPN / Sky) is that they are slow moving and also want to protect what they have for as long as they can... Doing that allows a new player to enter the market and eat their lunch one bite at a time.
    Absolutely. Only thing that comes to my mind is Kodak.

Advanced Member

Recently re-signed up again for 6 months. MySky / Basic/Soho/Sport for less than $50. Seemed a good deal and Rugby world cup is around the corner. I'm finding that the only thing I am really watching is the live sport and a bit of CNBC. Nothing else, although the HD and Mysky box is nice to have as well. We are enjoying watching some older series that have not previously seen on Lightbox (Deadwood is excellent TV ) thanks to the 12 months free from Telecom. The standard SKY charges certainly need to come down quite a bit to make it attractive.

The whole tv world is at the beginning of a giant shake up. I'm picking Sky will go the way of Nokia which is not reflected in the SP.

In the future, I would be looking at companies like facebook, netflix, apple to be the companies who will be providing us with tv content and we will be able to pick and choose what it is that we want to watch. To some extent we are there already, the only thing holding Sky up is the Sports channel.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

How long do you think it will be before Sky allow you to build your own package of the channels which you actually want, rather than trying to shoe-horn you into one of their range of "all-the-cr*p-you-can-eat" packages?

And to move to "pay-per-event" pricing?

Both would be nice, bring 'em on!

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    How long do you think it will be before Sky allow you to build your own package of the channels which you actually want, rather than trying to shoe-horn you into one of their range of "all-the-cr*p-you-can-eat" packages?

And to move to "pay-per-event" pricing?

Both would be nice, bring 'em on!
    I don't think it will happen. If they said for example sports channel is $40 per month and thats all you get, they would lose so much of their revenue with immediate effect. Shareholders would have fits.

The power is currently in the bundle and the shareholder friendly option is to die by a 1000 cuts.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

The power is currently in the bundle and the shareholder friendly option is to die by a 1000 cuts.
    Oh, I shouldn't imagine that they'd do it willingly, or even soon, but I rather fancy that the power of "on-demand" will force them to change.

Eventually.