sharetrader
Page 33 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743831335331033 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Recently re-signed up again for 6 months. MySky / Basic/Soho/Sport for less than $50. Seemed a good deal and Rugby world cup is around the corner. I'm finding that the only thing I am really watching is the live sport and a bit of CNBC. Nothing else, although the HD and Mysky box is nice to have as well. We are enjoying watching some older series that have not previously seen on Lightbox (Deadwood is excellent TV ) thanks to the 12 months free from Telecom. The standard SKY charges certainly need to come down quite a bit to make it attractive.
    Is that $50/month RTM? Or just a sign up fee. Just wondering if per month how did you get so cheap?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Is that $50/month RTM? Or just a sign up fee. Just wondering if per month how did you get so cheap?
    Yep...slightly less than 50/month....49 something. Hard to believe, so I went with it. Maybe they do this to keep their numbers up so that they can keep/justify their advertising revenue.
    I can get rid of it after 6 months. There was no sign up fee. We already had dish / wiring etc.

Sky's new subscriber deals are excellent as of late, but they certainly don't address the underlying issues related to competition from well capitalised streaming services offing cheaper services.

Sky also need to look after their long term customers. We recently terminated our Sky connection and were offered three months free of any premium channel we chose. Given the deal above, that's hardly any consolation. Even telco’s will offer special deals for term commitments.

The results make for interesting reading although I wouldn't be getting too excited about them other to say they look like a decent yield stock if the Share price were to float any lower.. I have a problem with the overall value of the business being linked to the "intangible monopoly" they seem to have. I'd suggest this monopoly is well under fire now with so much digital competition for content. Production costs up, overall subscribers down, they'll almost have to do away with sign-up revenue soon as it isn't viable to charge for installation anymore...

Guru

Market didn't like it, and down to $5.40. EPS of almost 45c and the divvy only 15c - thought they might have consider a 'special dividend' as in the past.....

Insto's seem to be heavily reducing exposure to SKT

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11573406

totally agree, don't like the upgrade at all and the on demand thing is a joke - fast becoming a dinosaur
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11573406

totally agree, don't like the upgrade at all and the on demand thing is a joke - fast becoming a dinosaur
    You'd think that when you are trying to stem the potential for subscribers to drop off from competition and after the RWC that you'd be ensuring that your least technologically adept older male customers could read the programme guide or record seamlessly after an upgrade.

Why wouldn't you phase the rollout in tranches to see if it works, get feedback and to deal with any issues that arise so that they can be contained - it's not like the subscribers are pulling the update through?

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post

I got the upgrade this week and whilst it's not perfect it's better than it was before IMHO

Sky could cure cancer and they would still get bagged for it. I think they take their PR advice from Cadburys