sharetrader
Page 338 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 2382883283343353363373383393403413423483884388381338 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 14170

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    This stock is just mind boggling! As a millennial, who's probably pirated more content than anyone on this board, I still have Sky. Having said that, streaming is still my preferred method of media consumption but there's nothing like coming home from work and switching on the satellite and getting that low ping latency feed straight from the dish and watching it on the big screen
    That's the thing, a lot of zoomers and doomers are hating on SKT... always "My netflickz, my torrentz", as you grow older and actually have a bit more than $3.50 in your bank account, you start to discount pirating, spending time leeching movies, setting things up.... you just want to push a button on a remote after a long day grinding away at work, and you just want things to happen, you ain't got no time trying to figure out why a "HD Rip" you've illegally downloaded doesn't look "HD" at all.

Netflix is not into the broadcasting sports business, at least I don't see that happening in the near future. There's no other ways of getting sports besides Sky at this stage (bar the illegal websites, and they're super unreliable at peak times, speaking from experience). When you have a few mate's over to watch the big game, or the big fight, are you going to setup your janky PC rig to watch content off some illegal website that most likely will be blurry and buffer? Or are you going to spend that $40 and make sure you have a good time? It's a no brainer.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Akane View Post
    That's the thing, a lot of zoomers and doomers are hating on SKT... always "My netflickz, my torrentz", as you grow older and actually have a bit more than $3.50 in your bank account, you start to discount pirating, spending time leeching movies, setting things up.... you just want to push a button on a remote after a long day grinding away at work, and you just want things to happen, you ain't got no time trying to figure out why a "HD Rip" you've illegally downloaded doesn't look "HD" at all.

Netflix is not into the broadcasting sports business, at least I don't see that happening in the near future. There's no other ways of getting sports besides Sky at this stage (bar the illegal websites, and they're super unreliable at peak times, speaking from experience). When you have a few mate's over to watch the big game, or the big fight, are you going to setup your janky PC rig to watch content off some illegal website that most likely will be blurry and buffer? Or are you going to spend that $40 and make sure you have a good time? It's a no brainer.
    All very true.

And even if you have an entertainment bundle that includes Sky Sport NOW + NEON + NETFLIX...it’s about $70/month (or about $75/month if you take NETFLIX in UHD).

For the majority of New Zealanders that is chump change for reliable platforms that serve up a wide range of entertainment legally.

If you are one of the unlucky few who still have poor quality internet - then a Sky bundle that includes entertainment + sport + movies and SOHO is around $100/month for the traditional satellite bundle. Loads of stuff to watch and the cost works out to be about $3.30 per day. I don’t even think you could buy a Long Black at a cafe for that any more.

Some people will always steal, and piracy will remain an issue for the industry.

But for the majority, the entertainment packages are relatively cheap and much easier to use. As you say, a no-brainer.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Yeah I have sky sport now too. Overall, I am happy with the service. Works well and it has a cool highlights and features section which makes it easier to find other content.

But even though I have a 100Mbs fibre connection - I do notice that throughout the live event there are periods where the picture goes slightly out of focus. Then crisp HD again for a while, and then back to slightly out of focus. It is crisp HD for most of the event...but it detracts from the match when it keeps going out of focus.

Obviously, that never ever happened with Satellite.

Then again, rain fade could be an issue during bad weather with satellite whereas that is not a concern when streaming.

So there are pros and cons to both methods.
    That is good to know, thanks. Because I am on VDSL (no fibre out here) and wonder from time to time if that is the cause. Don't think so as even tho copper, our speed is pretty good. One more comment...even when the picture is extremely good / sharp / colours excellent....the movement is not as smooth as I think it should be. I recall something like this on Spark Sport from time to time and we talked about frequency...was it 60 vs 30 ? Can't recall. And yes, I get the slightly out of focus bits as well.

But overall yes, I am happy with service as well. One difficulty remaining is that if I start to watch a live event half way through...and the thing has been left set on that prog., I am not sure yet how to get back to the beginning without seeing the score !

Using a new Apple TV which is nice as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    That is good to know, thanks. Because I am on VDSL (no fibre out here) and wonder from time to time if that is the cause. Don't think so as even tho copper, our speed is pretty good. One more comment...even when the picture is extremely good / sharp / colours excellent....the movement is not as smooth as I think it should be. I recall something like this on Spark Sport from time to time and we talked about frequency...was it 60 vs 30 ? Can't recall. And yes, I get the slightly out of focus bits as well.

But overall yes, I am happy with service as well. One difficulty remaining is that if I start to watch a live event half way through...and the thing has been left set on that prog., I am not sure yet how to get back to the beginning without seeing the score !

Using a new Apple TV which is nice as well.
    For me the movement is smooth. Just the occasional out of focus picture is a negative.

Perhaps the luck of smoothness could be down to your VDSL connection?

I guess we all have different experiences. For a long time, I worked insane hours, paid for Sky, barely watched it.

Then I stopped working, tried to watch TV more often, had constant rain fade issues, the customer support was shocking, so while I had always been an "intellectual property" kinda guy and would never dream of stealing the IP created by other people, I found myself starting to adapt to seeking out the stuff for free online that I was already paying for and couldn't watch!

Eventually, I was like, why am I doing this? Gave Sky another chance to fix it, they continued to not care, I cancelled Sky and have been a "DIY" guy ever since.

I am not a teenager, or a natural thief of intellectual property. I was also not price sensitive - I knew Sky did deals with other people I knew and I was still on a top dollar rate. Didn't really care. All I wanted was to able to reliably consume what I was paying for. The moment I tried to do that consistently, it became clear that (at least in my case) Sky was not up to it.

All things being equal, I would still be a Sky customer. But when you can get more for free than you can get by paying for it, and when you literally end up paying for nothing because the product doesn't work, then there is really no alternative than to end up a non customer.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    I guess we all have different experiences. For a long time, I worked insane hours, paid for Sky, barely watched it.

Then I stopped working, tried to watch TV more often, had constant rain fade issues, the customer support was shocking, so while I had always been an "intellectual property" kinda guy and would never dream of stealing the IP created by other people, I found myself starting to adapt to seeking out the stuff for free online that I was already paying for and couldn't watch!

Eventually, I was like, why am I doing this? Gave Sky another chance to fix it, they continued to not care, I cancelled Sky and have been a "DIY" guy ever since.

I am not a teenager, or a natural thief of intellectual property. I was also not price sensitive - I knew Sky did deals with other people I knew and I was still on a top dollar rate. Didn't really care. All I wanted was to able to reliably consume what I was paying for. The moment I tried to do that consistently, it became clear that (at least in my case) Sky was not up to it.

All things being equal, I would still be a Sky customer. But when you can get more for free than you can get by paying for it, and when you literally end up paying for nothing because the product doesn't work, then there is really no alternative than to end up a non customer.
    I think part of it just depends on your current life situation:

If you're an old man in your 70's half brain dead and breathing off an oxygen canister, you want to just sit in an arm chair and watch Sky all day.

If you're a teenager or at uni you think it's crap. Maybe your mates flat has Sky and you go over there to get boozed on the weekend to watch the footy, then get stoned on Sunday watching cartoon network!

If you're a single mum, maybe you stay home and watch shopping channel all day. Use the alimony money for Sky.

If you're newly married and saving for a house, you might cancel for 5 years until you save more money.

If you're into a new hobby, like golf and you want to watch the Masters, you get Sky but then forget to cancel it afterwards or can't be bothered returning the box.

Maybe you just got that new big TV.

People come and go. Churn is churn. The point is that the product isn't obsolete. It's not what it once was, but it still has it's place in society.

Advanced Member

There are plenty of legal hassle-free options for watching sport other than sky (just not rugby). Spark sport obviously, but also plenty of dedicated apps on appleTV / chromecast that let you watch plenty of sports on a big screen. I personally love basketball and pay $14 a month for NBA league pass which lets me watch every game from my favorite teams played live on any device I want (far better than the few games on sky each week).

my mother in law cancelled her sky subscription last month and now watches everything through the Vodafone tv product, which is delivered via the Internet, and she has had zero issues with quality.

i do not know anyone who pirates content online, but basically everyone I know uses at least one paid streaming service alongside the free ones from TVNZ & Mediaworks, and some have 4 or 5 of them (Netflix, Disney+, appleTV+, Prime video & Neon/lightbox). If you don’t watch rugby, I don’t think there is any point in having sky these days given the vast amount of content available at far cheaper prices from streaming competitors (and from Sky itself via NEON).

i think the biggest threat to sky long term is NZ rugby eventually deciding to cut out the middle man and offer a NZ rugby app direct to consumers.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 21-07-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post

my mother in law cancelled her sky subscription last month and now watches everything through the Vodafone tv product, which is delivered via the Internet, and she has had zero issues with quality.
    You're grandma has probably racked up $1000 on Sky content over VTV.

Guru

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...477/326609.pdf

First Sentier dumping a sh1t load of stock in June?

Advanced Member

I hate this stock.