sharetrader
Page 342 of 348 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 6945
  1. #6821
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    2021 yea of the take over conspiracy

    but I do believe we will see some major change not only with broadband but I would be very surprised if we do not get a takeover over. This company has to be the steal of the decade and if the big company's cant see this maybe NZ is just to smaller player for them?
    Someone just has to make the first move (bid).

    2020 was the year of uncertainty and survival. Deals like Discovery and TV3 were done before covid hit.

    I suspect that after the ComCom decision next month regarding OSB, it should clear the way of any regulatory takeover of Sky (good or bad, outcome unknown as of yet).


    In the meantime, Discovery's stock price continues to go higher.
    Lots of room for....



  2. #6822
    Senior Member airedale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Above the high tide mark.
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    Some or even many subscribers have a package without sport. To add sport costs about$10 per month, or 120 per year. So not quite free. I agree sport is of some importance, but it is not the be all and end all of the business.

  3. #6823
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Some or even many subscribers have a package without sport. To add sport costs about$10 per month, or 120 per year. So not quite free. I agree sport is of some importance, but it is not the be all and end all of the business.
    This is wildly incorrect - sport costs $31.99 a month extra (on top of a base subscription) - which works out at $384 per year extra, or is available as a standalone service via an app (SkySportNow) which costs $39.99 a month or a discounted $399.99 one off annual fee.

  4. #6824
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    This is wildly incorrect - sport costs $31.99 a month extra (on top of a base subscription) - which works out at $384 per year extra, or is available as a standalone service via an app (SkySportNow) which costs $39.99 a month or a discounted $399.99 one off annual fee.
    Correct.

    Unless you have 5 X multi-room decoders under one account. Then distribute the other 4 boxes to family members living at different addresses.

    Like I do...


  5. #6825
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Correct.

    Unless you have 5 X multi-room decoders under one account. Then distribute the other 4 boxes to family members living at different addresses.

    Like I do...
    *Covers eyes* NO NO YOU DON'T
    Just remember if the boxes are IP connected (internet) then the overlords at sky will be able to see the different boxes all coming from different IP's etc. Same with sharing neon accounts etc. There were early talks when I was still working there about starting to look into this kind of thing. No idea if that is still on the cards but their decoders etc send a lot of data back to sky.
    Last edited by Tripp; 14-01-2021 at 02:44 PM.

  6. #6826
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
    *Covers eyes* NO NO YOU DON'T
    Just remember if the boxes are IP connected (internet) then the overlords at sky will be able to see the different boxes all coming from different IP's etc. Same with sharing neon accounts etc. There were early talks when I was still working there about starting to look into this kind of thing. No idea if that is still on the cards but their decoders etc send a lot of data back to sky.


    Been doing it for 15 years.

  7. #6827
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
    *Covers eyes* NO NO YOU DON'T
    Just remember if the boxes are IP connected (internet) then the overlords at sky will be able to see the different boxes all coming from different IP's etc. Same with sharing neon accounts etc. There were early talks when I was still working there about starting to look into this kind of thing. No idea if that is still on the cards but their decoders etc send a lot of data back to sky.
    I think Sky should continue to turn a blind eye so far as account sharing goes for the minute. Their subs are still growing at a rapid rate, so they should just focus on repositioning their brand proposition and charting the course to sustainability.

    Once they reach a sustainable point and growth stops then they can take another look at the account sharing issue.

    NETFLIX have also started making noises about reviewing this. They have turned a blind eye from when they started because their subs kept up double digit growth for many years so it wasn’t an issue. After subs recently fell in the USA it has caused a bit of a rethink - though they are still yet to actively police it.

    Sky are not at this point yet.

    They have also had much less to say about piracy after winning the kodi box case. They do have a duty to their content partners to play a role in protecting copyright etc, but banging on about it in the media does not actually help Sky reinvigorate its brand.

    I think new management have realised this - and even Sophie (who was heading up the legal team under John when Sky first came out swinging) has not made any more noises about actively continuing this fight. It’s a fight Sky will only lose anyway. They just need to focus on the product offerings and distribution model. If the user experience is great and the price is right, they will have no issue attracting more than enough paying subs.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 14-01-2021 at 03:27 PM.

  8. #6828
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I think Sky should continue to turn a blind eye so far as account sharing goes for the minute. Their subs are still growing at a rapid rate, so they should just focus on repositioning their brand proposition and charting the course to sustainability.

    Once they reach a sustainable point and growth stops then they can take another look at the account sharing issue.

    NETFLIX have also started making noises about reviewing this. They have turned a blind eye from when they started because their subs kept up double digit growth for many years so it wasn’t an issue. After subs recently fell in the USA it has caused a bit of a rethink - though they are still yet to actively police it.

    Sky are not at this point yet.

    They have also had much less to say about piracy after winning the kodi box case. They do have a duty to their content partners to play a role in protecting copyright etc, but banging on about it in the media does not actually help Sky reinvigorate its brand.

    I think new management have realised this - and even Sophie (who was heading up the legal team under John when Sky first came out swinging) has not made any more noises about actively continuing this fight. It’s a fight Sky will only lose anyway. They just need to focus on the product offerings and distribution model. If the user experience is great and the price is right, they will have no issue attracting more than enough paying subs.
    The loss gets passed onto the content creators not the aggregator.

    Maybe Sky loses a bit for original content, like Rugby.

    They pick up extra adverting revenue though.

    It's a good way to value add.

    We wouldn't sign up to Sky movies but for extra $20 a month, every boxes gets it so it's good value.

  9. #6829

  10. #6830

  11. #6831
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Likewise, if 3 family members have it, and another one is thinking about joining Sky but thinks it's too expensive, then for only $25 they might change their mind. Hence, Sky gets more revenue.

    The only down side is when the Sky technician shows up to do the install you have to get all the boxes back to the same address for the one day....


  12. #6832
    Member Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Is it possible the price is being driven lower for this so called M&A?

    It is good that the share price has remained pretty stable but wish/hope/want it to start trending back up. As we all do.

  13. #6833
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Is it possible the price is being driven lower for this so called M&A?
    That would be fraud, and I believe the odds of that happening are virtually zero.

  14. #6834
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Well the Aussies certainly like this share more than the Kiwis, perhaps kiwi investors are turned off by history. Might be time for a rebranding.

  15. #6835
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post
    Well the Aussies certainly like this share more than the Kiwis, perhaps kiwi investors are turned off by history. Might be time for a rebranding.
    Foxtel are welcome to put in a bid...

  16. #6836
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    That would be fraud, and I believe the odds of that happening are virtually zero.
    Fraud? You mean like sharing Netflix accounts? Surely that's not happening here.

    I believe it's the UBS trading desk selling the stock:

    "Mr Derick Handley is stepping down? But he's a long term director? Looking at his Linkedin profile he must important. Quick, we better put the algo on sell mode and trade this down before the stock drops further...[a few days later] Yes old chap, great play, we knew a director leaving was a sell signal. The announcement is correct. He left because the business is on a down turn. All this rubbish's on this so called Shuretrader suggesting he's a total fraud and got pushed out must be baloney"


  17. #6837
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Fraud? You mean like sharing Netflix accounts? Surely that's not happening here.

    I believe it's the UBS trading desk selling the stock:

    "Mr Derick Handley is stepping down? But he's a long term director? Looking at his Linkedin profile he must important. Quick, we better put the algo on sell mode and trade this down before the stock drops further...[a few days later] Yes old chap, great play, we knew a director leaving was a sell signal. The announcement is correct. He left because the business is on a down turn. All this rubbish's on this so called Shuretrader suggesting he's a total fraud and got pushed out must be baloney"

    Fraud if the sellers are dumping shares to drop the price so that another organisation they are affiliated with can swoop in and buy the company cheaper - as seemed to be implied by the earlier poster.

    That would be illegal and I think the odds of that happening here are zero.
    Last edited by mistaTea; 14-01-2021 at 06:47 PM.

  18. #6838
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    I just can’t wait for the OSB sale to go through so that Ogg can start ‘working the phones’ to get a bidding war between Discovery, Comcast and Foxtel.

    Then I can look forward to my $1B (or 60c per share) that he promised...

  19. #6839
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Fraud if the sellers are dumping shares to drop the price so that another organisation they are affiliated with can swoop in and buy the company cheaper - as seemed to be implied by the earlier poster.

    That would be illegal and I think the odds of that happening here are zero.
    The odds of that not happening everyday is zero.

    The stock will bounce soon when the sharesies users start posting about the half year results, which is only 4 weeks away.

    Watch for the large pre orders at open. They should start happening in a couple of weeks time.

    Thee sell bots will likely be caught by surprise. Will they push the stock sub 15 before it happens though?

  20. #6840
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    I noticed more shiny new satellite dishes on rooftops in my fibre-only suburb during my walk today.

    What do we reckon total subs will be as at end of December? I expect streaming grew too, so maybe around 1.1M?

    If the average subscriber (streaming and satellite) pays sky ~$50/month that would be revenue of $660M. Add in some advertising revenue and it’s not far off projected revenue for the full year.

    It’s a volume game now. Margins and much smaller than they used to be per customer, so gotta get the numbers up - and then keep them up (Sky Broadband should help a lot with the latter goal).

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •