sharetrader
Page 405 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 3053553954014024034044054064074084094154555059051405 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 14173

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    I'm not so sure it is a ghost listing, per here : https://www.broadbandcompare.co.nz/b...on=information
    If the choice is a bluff or a real job, would Occam's razor suggest they are doing it...?

IMO given there are internet providers now offering uncapped plans to rural households, Sky may see this as a threat to (or an opportunity for?) it's rural satellite customer base. Whether this service is offered as a reseller of someone else's service, or as a genuine provider using technology and/or infrastructure already in place in Sky, remains to be seen. An interesting and smart move.
    That's a good point and yes it is a smart move to offer broadband to rural satellite customers to keep them signed up and to replace some of the lost revenue if the customer switches to Neon. I'm sure that Ogg knows that public companies can't place bluff recruitment ads, but you've got to love his theories.

Someone's put a rather large parcel of shares (appox 7m) up for sale this afternoon on the asx @ 0.185c aud

Attachment 11862

DFABPCLMB

Yeah - my bad with the timing of that post.....I was a bit slow.

I believe this is actually a double play in that a) they retain customers and b) they remove costs. As unlikely as this seems, the more valuable play might be the removal of costs - here is something I can talk about from experience....

Trying to deliver content online gets *really really* expensive very fast if you aren't careful. Expensive to the point where margins are either wafer thin once everyone takes their slice (studios included) or are non-existent. Given there are a number of factors with online content all heading in the same direction (i.e. upwards) being:

• the number programmes on offer
    • the duration of programmes
    • the number of viewers
    • the increasing quality of transmission, and
    • increasing frequency of use per viewer

then the volume of data transmitted follows a geometric curve over time. Try and guess the basis on which CDN's charge? You guessed it.....data served. Sky has a few choices which are:

1. Use an Australian CDN with it's inherent issues of transmission across the Tasman (would you believe their USP is they have no earthquakes!?)
    2. Or get real and use the largest international CDN (i.e. Akamai) with it's nodes up and down NZ, BUT the costs follow a geometric curve which eats into profit growth
    3. Or invest in the technology locally via investment in bandwidth and peering relationships and they eliminate a HUGE % of costs from options a and b.

The CDN's use FUD to sell their service. So if you can't buy an ISP the next best option is to set one up. This is why I say it is a smart move given I reckon this is about more than hanging onto customers. They recognise Satellite is at the sunset/cash cow stage and they want to pivot into online. It's a smart move, assuming they can execute well and do not get cold feet. The upsell is that if they do this well, then they become the local CDN for other content aggregators/resellers.

Also - another point which I have been reading about is "content creation". Again, from experience, this is also *really really* expensive and IMO won't be considered a core activity for Sky (beyond Sport). Even if they did it, it would be chump change (and likely a loss maker) compared to offering Broadband and setting up a CDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tqtq View Post
    That's a good point and yes it is a smart move to offer broadband to rural satellite customers to keep them signed up and to replace some of the lost revenue if the customer switches to Neon. I'm sure that Ogg knows that public companies can't place bluff recruitment ads, but you've got to love his theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    Yeah - my bad with the timing of that post.....I was a bit slow.

I believe this is actually a double play in that a) they retain customers and b) they remove costs. As unlikely as this seems, the more valuable play might be the removal of costs - here is something I can talk about from experience....

Trying to deliver content online gets *really really* expensive very fast if you aren't careful. Expensive to the point where margins are either wafer thin once everyone takes their slice (studios included) or are non-existent. Given there are a number of factors with online content all heading in the same direction (i.e. upwards) being:

• the number programmes on offer
    • the duration of programmes
    • the number of viewers
    • the increasing quality of transmission, and
    • increasing frequency of use per viewer

then the volume of data transmitted follows a geometric curve over time. Try and guess the basis on which CDN's charge? You guessed it.....data served. Sky has a few choices which are:

1. Use an Australian CDN with it's inherent issues of transmission across the Tasman (would you believe their USP is they have no earthquakes!?)
    2. Or get real and use the largest international CDN (i.e. Akamai) with it's nodes up and down NZ, BUT the costs follow a geometric curve which eats into profit growth
    3. Or invest in the technology locally via investment in bandwidth and peering relationships and they eliminate a HUGE % of costs from options a and b.

The CDN's use FUD to sell their service. So if you can't buy an ISP the next best option is to set one up. This is why I say it is a smart move given I reckon this is about more than hanging onto customers. They recognise Satellite is at the sunset/cash cow stage and they want to pivot into online. It's a smart move, assuming they can execute well and do not get cold feet. The upsell is that if they do this well, then they become the local CDN for other content aggregators/resellers.

Also - another point which I have been reading about is "content creation". Again, from experience, this is also *really really* expensive and IMO won't be considered a core activity for Sky (beyond Sport). Even if they did it, it would be chump change (and likely a loss maker) compared to offering Broadband and setting up a CDN.
    All really good points, especially on reducing costs, thanks for sharing your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by tqtq View Post
    Someone's put a rather large parcel of shares (appox 7m) up for sale this afternoon on the asx @ 0.185c aud

Attachment 11862
    Looks suspiciously like someone knows something?

Overnight book build for 20% at 20c? 😜

I hold SKT.

I love all the ideas about IFT/Vodafone might buy over SKT.

What about the idea of 2 Degrees might buy over SKT? This a free market & Comcom might see it a fairer deal to have 2 Degrees takeover SKT to create equal telco market shares between Vodafone & Spark in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Stock888 View Post
    I hold SKT.

I love all the ideas about IFT/Vodafone might buy over SKT.

What about the idea of 2 Degrees might buy over SKT? This a free market & Comcom might see it a fairer deal to have 2 Degrees takeover SKT to create equal telco market shares between Vodafone & Spark in NZ.
    Distinct possibility!

Pushed out the AGM as far as they can i see...

Wouldn't want those pesky Sharetrader punters asking pertinent questions would we...

A year in, how is that US$40M purchase of RugbyPass going.!?

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Overnight book build for 20% at 20c? 
    Just a bit above CR Terp

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Overnight book build for 20% at 20c? 
    mmm, AUD 18.5c is NZD 20c equivalent. But more likely just quote stuffing by bots.