sharetrader
Page 502 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 24024524924984995005015025035045055065125526021002 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 14173

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    "Cheap" does not mean less risky. Sky TV is at the pointy end of several megatrends - the very definition of a burning platform.

And is Sky TV even cheap? One reason people are happily paying insane prices for some things is low interest rates. If the buyer can be convinced of large cashflows far into the future, then they can justify almost any price, at least to themselves, in the present environment.

There is a good chance that the "best" days for Sky TV lie in the immediate future, and the further out you go, the more risk and uncertainty there is that they will have a viable business model. Therefore, it is much harder for one to use low interest rates as a mechanism to delude themselves, which is why the market isn't.

To some extent, what you're betting on is that the cashflows from the current business model can be deployed into finding the future. But, even on the most optimistic assumptions, how much cash can this business generate and what kind of future can a NZ content aggregator buy?

You have giant content creators like Disney and HBO seeking to control distribution. You have giant aggregators like Netflix, now creating content, with the megacap tech firms like Amazon, Google and Apple broadly in the same business. All of these have global scale and access to capital that Sky TV can only dream about.

Then at the bottom end, you have piracy. For those that are happy to pirate content, this is truly the best of times. Quality content being created for a sole platform by companies without a short term profit motive, but, once pirated, the content from EVERY platform is easily available at no charge. Great for pirates. Horrible for Sky TV.

I have not ruled out ever buying Sky TV - I actively monitor it as a potential investment, I'm not just in the thread to throw stones. But they are in an extremely tough spot due to the myriad of competitive pressures, and I don't see things getting much easier.

This is not a low risk investment.

I believe you may have miss understood the business model of SKY

Netflix, Amazon Prime have been around for a while now. Are they going to replace SKY? Maybe for some. But perhaps not the majority. The proof lies with 900K odd customers subscribing to SKY.

There are number of streaming providers similar to SKY in America and running successfully. Few examples - Sling TV, DIRECTV, FIOS, YoutubeTV & HULU(content). The home market for Netflix and giants.

SKT is not a content creator. I believe they should never get into it. That isn't their business model.

Piracy - For someone that is into piracy, is never going to subscribe to any medium.

Their issue has been reacting very slow to changes around them. They are only starting to fix things now. eg)streaming

Anything they do, they need to act swiftly. Not just talk about things.
    - Broadband can be launched a lot sooner. Still vague with no concrete dates.
    - New streaming box - Launch date - sometime in future.

I believe these are some of the issues that need fixing. If they are serious about making changes and being a nimble company.

I truly believe, their power lies in the 900k subscriptions they currently hold for now. It's how they harness these, that will make or break SKT

Quote Originally Posted by ba9 View Post

Netflix, Amazon Prime have been around for a while now. Are they going to replace SKY? Maybe for some. But perhaps not the majority. The proof lies with 900K odd customers subscribing to SKY.

There are number of streaming providers similar to SKY in America and running successfully. Few examples - Sling TV, DIRECTV, FIOS, YoutubeTV & HULU(content). The home market for Netflix and giants.

SKT is not a content creator. I believe they should never get into it. That isn't their business model.

Piracy - For someone that is into piracy, is never going to subscribe to any medium.

Their issue has been reacting very slow to changes around them. They are only starting to fix things now. eg)streaming

I believe these are some of the issues that need fixing. If they are serious about making changes and being a nimble company.

I truly believe, their power lies in the 900k subscriptions they currently hold for now. It's how they harness these, that will make or break SKT

Yes all about execution, i think this coming year for sky will be a defining one.

Exciting to watch and even more exciting if your confident enough to hold shares!

Quote Originally Posted by LEMON View Post
    I believe it was a sharesies scare out, they didn't want another blackwell or canna so spooked and ran causing it to drop after a few bigger players took profits early
    The bots are playing their part too in the manufacture of hysteria on this stock. I watched the bots push SKT down through their high frequency selling at the last second of trading on the ASX. They sold 632 shares to push the sp down 0.5 cents to close from 14c to 13.5c. About an $85 order.

The bots are pushing the share price down to flush the sharesies and other holders out who might consider selling forcing them to panic so their clients who have buy orders out can pick up a bargain. (Should be illegal IMO as its pretty close to stock manipulation. They'll cross a certain amount back to themselves in a big order to continue pushing the price down when they're out of ammo / shares.)

Sharesies crowd are predisposed to panic sell if they don't make their 20% per day on their $1,000 worth of shares. And when you multiply that by their enormous numbers its not good when their are more sellers than buyers. That said, it is good when it works the other way. Just look at afterpay or Tesla.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...ness-writedown

The focus should be "Adjusting for the write down it made a profit of $41m."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tqtq View Post
    The bots are playing their part too in the manufacture of hysteria on this stock. I watched the bots push SKT down through their high frequency selling at the last second of trading on the ASX. They sold 632 shares to push the sp down 0.5 cents to close from 14c to 13.5c. About an $85 order.

The bots are pushing the share price down to flush the sharesies and other holders out who might consider selling forcing them to panic so their clients who have buy orders out can pick up a bargain. (Should be illegal IMO as its pretty close to stock manipulation. They'll cross a certain amount back to themselves in a big order to continue pushing the price down when they're out of ammo / shares.)

Sharesies crowd are predisposed to panic sell if they don't make their 20% per day on their $1,000 worth of shares. And when you multiply that by their enormous numbers its not good when their are more sellers than buyers. That said, it is good when it works the other way. Just look at afterpay or Tesla.
    Looking at the volume yesterday and the way the market played out it was not sharesies selling. It will be interesting to see if sharesies are on the sell side as per your post. Will they be shaken out?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Looking at the volume yesterday and the way the market played out it was not sharesies selling. It will be interesting to see if sharesies are on the sell side as per your post. Will they be shaken out?
    A big chunk of the volume yesterday was pre 11am above 15.5, hence the vwap ending up 15.76.

I think the big plunge was followed down by sharesies and the afternoon shakeouts also.

Quote Originally Posted by ba9 View Post

agree its now or never for sky with a covid tailwind behind it
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    agree its now or never for sky with a covid tailwind behind it
    Volume suggests out of the ordinary for Sharesies orders.

I was wrong yesterday but I will make another prediction that there will be more sell down today (partly Friday blues) and SP going sideways for a long time.

Disc: hold some

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Volume suggests out of the ordinary for Sharesies orders.

I was wrong yesterday but I will make another prediction that there will be more sell down today (partly Friday blues) and SP going sideways for a long time.

Disc: hold some
    hope your wrong , i brought some late yesterday on the assumption some have said that yesterday was tree shaking and probably profit taking. and taking into account its a spec punt for me based on business
    Last edited by bull....; 11-09-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    hope your wrong , i brought some late yesterday on the assumption some have said that yesterday was tree shaking and probably profit taking. and taking into account its a spec punt for me based on business
    My my bull....

We are on the same page!