sharetrader
Page 51 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455611011515511051 ... LastLast

I'm happy too. Bought at 3.96, but will hold on to see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Deal done

Only need minimoke and his mates to agree

I'd say Vodafone done well out of this deal
    Ive owned telstra and telecom in the past. I dont have too much objection to owning vodafone. Especially if they can add value. Could be some nice synergies.

Up 17% at the moment so no complaints from me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
    This one's happy as...bought on the drop the other day and just sold for 5.25
    Haha nice timing

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nevl View Post
    I don't think Sky got a good deal here. Vodafone has $2.2bill in assets and $1.9bill in liabilities and made a loss last year of $120mill.
    The loss is probably some complex tax planning. will be interesting going forward to see if the inter-company charges whcih were apparently determined on an arms length basis change.

What will be interesting is if in a few years, all Sky TV customers will also be Vodafone customers. Will the bundles be irresistible to make people move from Spark (who are probably only with that funny named company because they have been with Telecom for 30 years).

The more interesting question (since i am not a shareholder) is whether there will be any need in future for a Sky box. Why cant it just be an app. Hopefully Vodafone will bring the tech smarts to help Skys terrible streaming product.

The future success of this venture depends on bundling services. Sky's cash should be put to work straight away to intergrate billing and customer relationship software.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. The Rugby Union and their star players will be licking their lips thinking of the goodies that will be thrown arround when the broadcast rights contract comes up for renewal.
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

competition law may not allow sky to be only shown to vodaphone customers
    one step ahead of the herd

That won't happen and Sky and VF wouldn't want that to happen. The more people that sign up to Sky the better regardless of ISP. Spark sells Lightbox to anyone but gives it free to its customers.

Oh dear, what an interesting precedent Spark appears to have set. I wonder if the Spark board, if it could go back in time, would have let the ISP/SVOD genie out of the bottle.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 09-06-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added Genie

I wonder if there will be any ongoing repercussions with regards to internet streaming, Vodafone trying to crack down on IPTV or geo-blocking etc. etc. etc.

It's still a dead/dying business model that SKT has, having a global Telco won't change this fact.

Veteran novice

It's still a dead/dying business model that SKT has, having a global Telco won't change this fact.
    I feel that way, too, Stumpy. So took the opportunity to sell the last of my SKT. Been meaning to for ages - procrastination pays off, for once!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    I wonder if there will be any ongoing repercussions with regards to internet streaming,
    Internet streaming is "gunna happen one day"

The problem with internet streaming that is a point to point protocol. Thus if you wanted to watch the big match on Sky over the internet and Joe next door wanted to do the same Sky would have to send two seperate streams of data to accomplish this.

This is inefficient. The current IPv4 version of the internet can do broadcast data but it is such a horrible kludge that no one does it. The new IPv6 version which is only just starting to be rolled out has broadcast data as a built-in feature.

So in the future Sky its competitors or even the sports themselves could create an IPv6 broadcast video stream allowing clients to acess the stream. They would need to establish authentication as part of the process but the distribution of the video stream itself would be a minor technical problem.

Thus Mr Fellet should be strolling the offices of the Vodafone network geeks with a baseball bat in hand asking "Have you implemented IPv6 yet?"

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.