sharetrader
Page 523 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 234234735135195205215225235245255265275335736231023 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,230 of 14173

I'll happily do either if I'm still around in 2040

IMO i think Satellite TV is likely to disappear earlier than gasoline vehicles. OPEC is still very powerful and will fight tooth and nail to keep the oil industry alive. Satellite TV industry doesn't have the same big backing. Also i feel as though streaming has matured more than electric vehicles at this stage. It's still not possible to drive from Auckland to Levin in one charge (correct me if i am wrong). Comparatively, streaming has had far more penetration in NZ and around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantitative Easing View Post
    IMO i think Satellite TV is likely to disappear earlier than gasoline vehicles. OPEC is still very powerful and will fight tooth and nail to keep the oil industry alive. Satellite TV industry doesn't have the same big backing. Also i feel as though streaming has matured more than electric vehicles at this stage. It's still not possible to drive from Auckland to Levin in one charge (correct me if i am wrong). Comparatively, streaming has had far more penetration in NZ and around the world.
    The Tesla Model 3 and Hyundai Kona are two EVs that have max ranges of about 420 km and can be purchased in NZ today. Give it a couple of years and improvements in battery technology will likely take you to 500 km+ relatively comfortably.
    Last edited by Airw0lf; 15-09-2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: I was mistaken about the distance from Auckland to Levin.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airw0lf View Post
    The Tesla Model 3 and Hyundai Kona are two EVs that have max ranges of about 420 km and can be purchased in NZ today. Give it a couple of years and improvements in battery technology will likely take you to 500 km+ relatively comfortably.
    So what are you saying, that gasoline cars will disappear before satellite? Why aren't you shorting ZEL?

Guru

"They say data is the oil of the 21st century, and to invest in data would be a wise method to generate ROI, but I believe there's an underappreciation for the extent to which the digital ad revolution is creating companies that have outstripped the size of even the largest oil giants of the 20th century.

While there are still decades during which this field will evolve, investing in companies at the heart of this trend will surely result in substantial returns for the decade ahead.

And Roku and Amazon are just two ways to play it!"
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/437...content=link-0

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    So what are you saying, that gasoline cars will disappear before satellite? Why aren't you shorting ZEL?
    No it's not as simple as that. EVs will soon be leaving ICEs in their wake both in terms of price and performance but car fleets take time to turn over. That said, there are lots of regulatory policies and incentives popping up all over the world for EV uptake, despite what the oil and gas lobby might want.

The thing that perhaps counts against satellite TV is that compared to car owners around the world there are relatively few decision makers - hundreds/thousands of pay TV operators vs. millions and millions of car owners. If pay TV operators see the economics of satellite wane, and have a ready alternative in internet streaming, they might all jump ship in the space of a few years, contractual arrangements (with the satellite companies) permitting. Presumably there's also some kind of death spiral in terms of fewer and fewer pay TV operators paying for more and more of the satellite as the flight away from satellite occurs. This would just accelerate the shift away from satellite.

But ultimately, that doesn't worry me as a SKT shareholder too much. In fact the sooner they can abandon satellite and make a successful transition to a streaming platform the better really. As many posters have said here, it's all about how they execute against that in the face of competition from the Sparks, Amazons and Netflixes of the world.
    Last edited by Airw0lf; 15-09-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Sorry. Slightly off SKT . Model 3 Long Range model has a range of 620Km

Quote Originally Posted by ba9 View Post
    Sorry. Slightly off SKT . Model 3 Long Range model has a range of 620Km
    Yes you are quite correct, I kind of restricted myself to just "vanilla" versions of commonly available EVs. There's no doubt standard EV models in a couple years' time will do that sort of range easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tqtq View Post
    1. Share price. Think all board members need a grilling on this front too.
    2. Legacy board member. Been there too long. Time to give someone else a shot. Other qualified people out there.
    3. Not good for the transformation narrative, or for Martin. Other legacy board members should be put under the microscope too.
    4. Generally unliked. Does Sky need to be associated with him?
    5. Lacks good judgement. Yes, look at the way he promotes himself.
    6. Not much skin in the game 17,584 SKT shares valued at around NZ$2,600
    7. I'm a shareholder and have a right to vote against his re-election.
    The list goes on. But happy for you to convince me otherwise if you can.

This appears to be a token role and fair enough he's not compensated a great deal but what's he going to add that he hasn't added already apart from perhaps an updated press release on how great he is?
    Good Lord. My share portfolio is a pretty small one compared to many on this forum (circa $75k) and SKT is one of my smallest holdings. Yet I have only slightly fewer shares than Handley.

Good Lord. My share portfolio is a pretty small one compared to many on this forum (circa $75k) and SKT is one of my smallest holdings. Yet I have only slightly fewer shares than Handley.
    Seems hes not that popular. Can we do much about it?